Favorite childhood action figures

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Micronauts comic is a masterpiece of adventure storytelling, IMO. Bill Mantlo and Michael Golden absolutely killed it. That comic absolutely would not exist today. There might be a Micronauts book but it wouldn't be anything like that.

There was, in fact, a Micronauts comic just a few years back from IDW, who took over all the comic licenses of Hasbro properties and tried to make a shared comics universe out of Transformers, GI Joe, Micronauts, Rom, etc. But yes, their attempt at a Micronauts comic was a sad, pathetic (and boring) joke compared to the Marvel series (although they did get Michael Golden to do one or two variant covers). I bought the first tpb out of morbid curiosity, and it was fucking awful.

And on a side note, I think there was one other robot released as a Shogun Warrior in the US: Grendizer.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There are so many. Transformers were probably the top one, but Gobots are up there too.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
All we had were those green army figures as well as Civil War and Revolutionary War figures. That and farm animals...lots of farm animals. Maybe a Howdy Doody puppet but my generation predates the age of 'action figures'.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
All we had were those green army figures as well as Civil War and Revolutionary War figures. That and farm animals...lots of farm animals. Maybe a Howdy Doody puppet but my generation predates the age of 'action figures'.

I was born in 66 and listed what we had. You should have had the old big Gi Joes at least.

Speaking of army men, my stepbrother ordered the set always advertised in the comics and they were paper thin. You put them in a little base so they could stand.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
We grew up pretty poor so we didn't get a ton of toys, but one year my parents splurged and got my brother and I a ton of "The Corps" action figures, which were basically poor man's G.I. Joes. The figures were cool enough to have but each pack came with a tiny little rolled up piece of paper containing a "top secret" mission for your corps to go on and complete. I think the missions were randomized per pack too. As a kid I thought this was the coolest thing ever and I remember cobbling together what toys I had around to "set up" the missions and complete them. They were very vague like "infiltrate the base and steal the secret documents" or whatever, but as a kid that was enough to let your imagination take the rest.

s-l640.jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Street Fighter G.I. Joes weren't very good but I wonder how Fatal Fury The Corps would have turned out.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Never had a GI Joe. My parents got my an Army Pete. He got water logged when I left him out in the rain one time. RIP Pete.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
We grew up pretty poor so we didn't get a ton of toys, but one year my parents splurged and got my brother and I a ton of "The Corps" action figures, which were basically poor man's G.I. Joes. The figures were cool enough to have but each pack came with a tiny little rolled up piece of paper containing a "top secret" mission for your corps to go on and complete. I think the missions were randomized per pack too. As a kid I thought this was the coolest thing ever and I remember cobbling together what toys I had around to "set up" the missions and complete them. They were very vague like "infiltrate the base and steal the secret documents" or whatever, but as a kid that was enough to let your imagination take the rest.

s-l640.jpg
Check out bootleg Sgt. Slaughter.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I had the trifecta of TMNT, GI Joe's, and M.A.S.K. (the vehicles are so awesome!)

A little later, I really got into X-Men figures and managed to get most of them; I even kept buying them going near the end of high school. I loved building set pieces with Lego, Bristle Blocks and Zaks and having crazy battles where everything got destroyed, lol.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
These were my toys of choice. LJN may have made shitty games, but they made awesome toys.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
There are so many. Transformers were probably the top one, but Gobots are up there too.
I had a few gobots as a kid they were ok then again,they were cheaper compared to transformers.Ever watch chris mcfeely for his basic on transformers ? Back in 2018 as a joke he did one on the gobots.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Street Fighter G.I. Joes weren't very good but I wonder how Fatal Fury The Corps would have turned out.

Geese Howard's Southtown Street Machine cycle with spring-loaded reppu ken projectiles was off the hook, but the grail was Big Bear's Tactical Semi Smasher with a trailer that transformed into T-1000 Neo-Geegus.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Ever watch chris mcfeely for his basic on transformers ?

I gave it a try when he announced this web series, but I couldn't get into it. And really, since we both come from the same roots, there is little value in the information he presents for me.

Also i wanted to make a mention of the weird toys that weren't any name brand but I had fond memories of. When I say name brand, I would consider any that had an accompanying fiction of some sort. I'm talking about the weird things like the cash register that turned into a robot. Or the giant blue or red helicopter that everyone seemed to have that wasn't a Transformer or anything, but was just some Japanese toy that was imported to the US.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
He-man, Go-Bots, Transformers, M.A.S.K. and TMNT were all big for me.

Of those probably the Dinobots (I had all except Swoop) and Soundwave + cassettes were my faves. I was really into M.A.S.K. as well and was absolutely obsessed with the Bulldog and Rhino trucks.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Also i wanted to make a mention of the weird toys that weren't any name brand but I had fond memories of. I'm talking about the weird things like the cash register that turned into a robot. Or the giant blue or red helicopter that everyone seemed to have that wasn't a Transformer or anything, but was just some Japanese toy that was imported to the US.

Are you alluding to those Select "Convertors" guys from the mid-1980s?

http://www.toyarchive.com/Convertors/Spies.html

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

s-l640.jpg

Lol I had those rip offs too. My parents used to by me cheap stuff from the clearance aisle because I used to abuse my action figures once in awhile.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
My toys in the 80s were a mix of G.I. Joes, Transformers, and a few Gobots. I always had the cheaper ones but still had fun. I always wanted to get some of the M.A.S.K vehicles and He-Man but never got any. Also got into collecting baseball cards in the late 80s.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Ghost Busters, He-Man, Transformers, C.O.P.S., Mask, Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Centurions, M.U.S.C.L.E., Voltron.

@M

20 Year Member
I had the yellow cat dude and the soldier with the bazooka. Those little imp sidekicks were indeed awesome. I only had the green ones, but my younger brother ended up with an orange one, got it from somebody at school I think.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Too young for OG Transformers. It was beast wars transformers for me or Beasties as they were known in canada. Had a good amount of them too and I wish I took better care of them, could have handed them down to my son.

@M

20 Year Member
That ThunderCats CG was pretty cool! Have they done any other 80s cartoon openings the same way?