Favorite Game Genre (yet another poll lulz)

Favorite genre of games

• Total voters

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Strategy/RTS games for me.
Nothing I like doing more than building large armies to go and kill other large armies.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Action Jump'n'runs Shinobi style all the way... it's not featured tho. STGs, sure, but this genre is just too obvious to constitute a candid choice. This makes one think of proper designations. Here are some examples:

jump'n'run -- obvious examples are Sonic & Mario. One significant characteristic is: you jump on enemies to destroy them. To call it "platform games" is really too generic.

jump'n'shoot -- Contra/Metal Slug series, i.e. emphasis on shooting indeed. You have bullet based weapons. Autofire is enabled or at least the possibility to shoot with a high frequency.

run'n'gun -- games where you don't jump at all, or where jumps have an alternate purpose than to change platforms/destroy foes, like Mercs, Ninja Commando, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad and certain levels in Contra. Not Metal Slug though!

action jump'n'run -- Rockman and Shinobi series, an amalgamate of both jump'n'runs with jump'n'shoots, emphasis on an R-Type'esque precision & memorization. Sometimes shooting is secondary, like in Akumajo or Shinobi Den. You also lack autofire and mostly can't jump on enemies to destroy them, you are using a weapon to do so.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^Typical Oli complicating shit...

Fighters for me...at heart I could just go with platformer but in truth I play fighters the most...platformers are easier for me to get good at though, fighters not so much...here I am still sucking hard, lol.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
^Typical E.G. Robinson double standards... so what about this talk of the eternal struggle of language barrier that can be easily overcome by following the universal rules of understanding?

Tho I wouldn't call your arguments "shit"... but then again, I'm not EG.

Spoiler:
You fucken brits. Beat 'em ups stands for Brawlers, you know final fight, D&D, stuff like that. I know you guys use the term to describe fighters which is dumb but so is the term beat 'em ups, too loosey goosey. Call it Brawlers, bad ass man call them Brawlers, Brawlers is where is at.

Take One

Dude: "Today I played a beat 'em up!"
Pal: "What the fuck is that supposed to mean you fucken fuck?"
Dude: "...aaarrrgggh..."

Take II

Dude: "Today I played a brawler!"
Pal: "Dude, you're awesome!"

Let the words do the work for you, don't settle for anything less, sound awesome!

Shots fired, baby...

tumblr_mmb54ppPhm1qz5q5oo1_500.gif

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're so way off.

That post was for the idiots that call fighting games Beat 'em ups and also call brawlers Beat 'em ups. What does that have to do with anything? How does this quote have anything to do with you complicating shit 'cause you feel you can up the game time and again?

There's no double standard at all here.

Edit: When I say shit I mean stuff, like "Hey what's that shit over there?!"

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Action/Adventure

Metroid, Zelda, etc.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The only quiz game worth a damn for me is the Capcom Collection exclusive version of Quiz & Dragons...

NG.com...Neo fucken Geo...fighters genre voted so far...2 STK & Me.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I think I've found a solution for that and other genres not directly mentioned in the poll :D

Excellent Tak, voted other, as in action-jump'n'runs.

What does that have to do with anything? How does this quote have anything to do with you complicating shit 'cause you feel you can up the game time and again?

You made a claim to properly label a genre in that post of yours, so did I in mine. If you felt that using the term beat'em up for brawlers isn't appropriate for whatever reason, but deny others having similar doubts regarding other genre expressions, then here's your double standard.

I feel it complicates matters to call everything a platformer, since there are platforms to jump on in too many other genres than just jump'n'runs and it's not a defining feature of such games. It unjustly repels a factual diversity of gameplay types.

...and thanks for clearing that "shit" thang.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nope, that's just one genre, you are trying to make multiple genres out of one genre thus complicating shit, there's no double standard there. You want more options, which is dumb. I was simply telling the Europeans to stop calling everything a god damn beat 'em up, 'cause it's confusing, there's a difference there, I don't get your BS double standard comment, I took it you had common sense but clearly you lacking it.

Edit: Beat 'em up for fighting games and brawlers, lol...

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You want more options, which is dumb.

The scale is different, yet we both have claims to designate genres. You want one name to replace another, I see different gameplay types which deserve a name each. The point is to label genres. It doesn't matter, if you don't acknowledge them as one.

Edit: About that quoted argument above, it's good, but don't look at everything so rational.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
One name to replace another? Stubborn fuck. Europeans don't even know how the fuck to separate fighters from brawlers, they call them all beat 'em ups and it's fucking stupid, it happens here all the time. The "What Beat 'em UP are you playing thread" has a bunch of idiots talking about fighters...do you see where I'm going with this? It's not some random shit request like yours 'cause god forbid you make do with clarity and simplicity.

So what are we gonna do with fighters, should we have 3D fighters, tag team fighters, team fighters?! What about shmups, should we have danmaku, hori, tate, old school? You see where I'm going with this right? Pretty fucken dumb from your part.

"Don't think of everything so rational" Jesus, WTF?! Let's see what you come up with next, lol.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
One name to replace another? Stubborn fuck.

We both are. Unless you see yourself as something better? Which by the way I don't mind at all, because you're always quite candid with that.

Europeans don't even know how the fuck to separate fighters from brawlers, they call them all beat 'em ups and it's fucking stupid, it happens here all the time.

Now that's another topic, but since you mentioned it, let me rephrase: Some Yanks don't even know how to separate jump'n'runs from action jump'n'runs from jump'n'shoots from run'n'guns, they call them all platformers and it's stupid, it happens here all the time.

There's another one:

^It's ok, you're European...and beat'emups is a lame term anyway. Brawler peeps, brawler is where is at.

^It's ok, you're EG... and "platformer" is a lame term anyway.

...see where I'm getting at?

What about shmups, should we have danmaku, hori, tate, old school? You see where I'm going with this right? Pretty fucken dumb from your part.

Yes, there are gameplay differences between STGs & Danmakus. Players who are good at former, aren't at the latter ones and vice verca. Horis & verts require different programming (see Toaplan & Psikyo interviews). But sure, you can see it just the way you do, i.e. don't see anything. And I agree with that, without foreclosing other opinions or perspectives tho.

I mean, you know that Luke's father is dead, yet he isn't, right? There's a certain point of view to things, also those insignificant ones like genre denotations. The only difference is, that I accept yours, you don't accept mine... so let's leave it at that.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So wrong in more levels than one. It's a poll generalizing genres and you wanna complicate shit, then you bring up the brawlers thing which has nothing to do with anything and now you're saying I'm good at telling you I'm better than you. Nice Oli, very nice. You just can't admit it, you like to complicate shit, really, that last post it's all over the place. You're saying absolutely nothing. If you were right (which you aren't) then things would have gone your way here in the poll, you know, this thing you're trying to debate with me (for lack of better terms), but nope, you're wrong in more ways than one. Bringing up the brawlers thing and acting all holier than thou, fuck you Oli.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Oliverclaude, I have to say.... the more specific you drill down with genres, the more you are going to find games that straddle them.

Personally I would have just put: Action, Adventure (and Action/Adventure), Strategy and left it at that, and large chunk of people would vote for Action because clearly all the variations of jumping shooting and punching fit there.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...fuck you Oli.

Ach Chris...

...you emotional bastard!

Let's not blow this out of proportions. For you it's complicating, for me it is not, then you deny your brawlers/beat'em ups quest any resemblance with my modest platformers/action jump'n'run suggestion... all the while this poll calls our genres "beat'em up" & "other". What can I say: we both lost anyway and the only merit of our little "discussion" is in having irrefutably defined the term unintentional hilarity for generations to come.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
nope...brawlers are still the better term and your "humble" sack of shit complicating BS request wasn't even considered. Learn your role blah, blah, you know the rest.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
because you're a douche...who clearly doesn't understand the difference, oblivious fuck.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Fighters are the only genre I still really play these days.

I ain't got the patience for Adventure or RPG games anymore :(

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
down for some fightcade? I've gotten good connections with some Canadians.