Favorite Lesser-known Soundtracks?

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
I just went back and played Hard Corps Uprising. Not sure how I didn't realize it when I first played through... but the soundtrack is amazing!

What are some other underrated game soundtracks that aren't often talked about?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
No one talks about this soundtrack anymore...

whitney-houston-the-bodyguard-thelavalizard.png

RIP

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals has an incredible soundtrack.

That whole game is ridiculously underrated.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
One recent soundtrack that really got me hooked is from the JPN-exclusive lesser known Xbox 360 game Eschatos. I can recommend it in every single way, almost all tracks are top notch (the game is also very good by the way). As a bonus for the soundtrack CD you get a very nice arrangement from Ryo Yonemitsu and an 8-Bit style arrangement which is also awesome.

Here's a link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RnoowbXiQ&list=PL8_dFsE09Vx82UZlWYRgrLy1ZOwrCpkuX

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Secret of Mana+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNBH9P3Aes

The use of electronic instruments and random sound effects were somewhat out-of-the-box for it's time when this album was released (telephone ring wtf?). Which ended up being regarded poorly, but by today's standards they're quite tame. The beginning starts off tranquil, but then kicks it up by the 06:30 mark. Pretty good SDK to just sit and listen to me thinks.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What are some other underrated game soundtracks that aren't often talked about?

Ishida's X-Multiply OST, especially the 4th stage piece "Illegal Illusion" & Kawakami's arcade Shinobi soundtrack, which leisure atmosphere reminds me of the best Metro Area tracks, like "Caught Up". Of course, you also should try the whole Thunder Blade arcade music. There are no words to describe, how godly it is, Bossa Nova at it's best (Return to Forever would be proud)... S.S.T. Band for life, baby!

On the Mega Drive, you'll find the Verytex OST to be a sleeper hit. Some Rick Fox tracks are also very cool ("Aero the Acro-Bat, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel etc.), he was at some point Bowie's keyboardist. And, tho it's not Koshiro, you should definitely try The Super Shinobi II OST.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Don't know if this counts as lesser-known but I've really been digging the soundtrack to the Killer Instinct remake of late. Mick Gordon's work from the first two "seasons" features some really great pieces. Everything from butt rock and drum and bass to tribal beats and cookie monster metal. The dynamic transitioning it does highlights key moments in a fight and I love the way they sneak in beats from the original KI Cuts tracks from back in the day.

Terry S Taylor's Skullmonkeys soundtrack will always be among my favorites as well.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
One recent soundtrack that really got me hooked is from the JPN-exclusive lesser known Xbox 360 game Eschatos. I can recommend it in every single way, almost all tracks are top notch (the game is also very good by the way). As a bonus for the soundtrack CD you get a very nice arrangement from Ryo Yonemitsu and an 8-Bit style arrangement which is also awesome.

Here's a link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RnoowbXiQ&list=PL8_dFsE09Vx82UZlWYRgrLy1ZOwrCpkuX

I thought this was really good, especially Point of No Return.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Someone be a hero and youtube Savage Commodore 64 longplay.

SAVAGE

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Not a game... but damned if that isn't one hell of a soundtrack. The music and Rickman totally make up for Robin's British accent disappearing 20min in (also Christian Slater)

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
Gauntlet IV on the Genesis has some really awesome music, the Genny version of Midnight Resistance is pretty awesome too.

Most underrated (in the sense I hardly ever see anyone mention it) I'd probably have to say is Jesper Kid's Genesis work though. Top notch

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Not a game... but damned if that isn't one hell of a soundtrack. The music and Rickman totally make up for Robin's British accent disappearing 20min in (also Christian Slater)

The mashed potato sandwich with mayo on white bread that is Bryan Adams will make you forget anything.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
For movies, Beyond the Black Rainbow and It Follows both have great soundtracks.

For games, I remember loving Kuckles' Chaotix. Jazz fusion.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Top Gear on the Super Nintendo has always been one of my favorites:

And just for Sage:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Langrisser in general has always had good music.

For movies: Lost Highway Soundtrack

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Solar Jetman (David Wise the god)

Nintendo World Cup

Soccer Shootout

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member

Yes! This is such a great soundtrack, loved this one since first playing this years ago.

An underrated one I always loved was the soundtrack to D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Genesis. Especially the Title Music. :buttrock:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Movie-wise, I really enjoyed Zimmer's songs on Chappie. It was his first fully electronic movie score, and it had some pretty good depth and power to it. Ignore the Die Antwerd crap.

Game-wise, Yoshitaka Hirota's work for the Shadow Hearts series didn't get nearly enough exposure. Some of the best, and strangest, game music out there.