Favoured waterproof footwear

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Dear rugged all American outdoor types. I have to walk through wet grass everyday and my shitty hiking boots are letting the water in. What do you go for to ensure dry feet goodness?

Bear in mind I have to actually walk in these - comfort and good waterproofnesses are required in equal measure.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
A quick hobo fix is to put a plastic bag over your socks inside the boots. Your socks will get moist from your sweat, and will probably become stinky, but, your feet will stay dry. Feels a little weird and the bag will be a little noisy (I use bread bags), but, it works.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The chillbergs by Timberland. I use them in the Winter. If you got some money to spend I would get some Redwing loggers.

StevenK

10 Year Member
A quick hobo fix is to put a plastic bag over your socks inside the boots. Your socks will get moist from your sweat, and will probably become stinky, but, your feet will stay dry. Feels a little weird and the bag will be a little noisy (I use bread bags), but, it works.

I would probably give this a go as a one off but it's twice a day I'm doing this and I think for that kind of frequency I should seek a longer term solution.

I've already dumped a can of something very similar to this on my current boots, didn't work, which did surprise me as it has worked in the past.

StevenK

10 Year Member
The chillbergs by Timberland. I use them in the Winter. If you got some money to spend I would get some Redwing loggers.

Do you get much flexibility in the sole on those timberlands? I've tried a few snowboot kind of things so far and I found the soles too stiff to actually walk in.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do you get much flexibility in the sole on those timberlands? I've tried a few snowboot kind of things so far and I found the soles too stiff to actually walk in.

Yes, flexibility isn't the problem but forget about toe protection. Your feet will stay warm and dry though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I use them for work in heavy snow and my feet are always warm and dry. There are pricier alternatives but you'll be find with those.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Ok, will try them and report back. Thanks for that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Don't want to throw you off. My feet are very important to me. If my feet are unhappy, I'm unhappy. I work outside all day in all weather conditions so I know a thing or two about keeping my feet dry and warm.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Wool socks and real leather boots (get some with a Goodyear welt so you can replace the sole) and then if really needed you can treat the leather.

You don’t want water proof. Real water proof means your feet won’t be able to breathe.

What’s your budget?

Last edited:

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
North face goretex hiker or shoes. They are light weight and comfortable and keep your feet dry . I think the model I have is called hedgehog

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I had a pair of Merrell waterproof shoes that were ugly as fuck but stayed dry through deep puddles and snow slush.