Final Fantasy 15 = no playable female characters? Lets discuss....

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I don't argue with that, it all makes sense. The fact that they are making a game they feel is going to relate to the youth/audience is indicative of the industry and, to a certain extent, neo-liberal economics (bear with me on this).

They sound like they are making a game they think will appeal to a specific audience, knowing that this will make them moolah. They don't sound like they are making the game how they like it. They sound like they are focusing on what they think will sell, rather than games that they enjoy making.

Actually, scratch all that I just thought of opposing points and shit. Meh this srs game talk is hard stuff.

Well, to be fair, I think (and this is just my idle speculation) the devs are making games that they more or less like making. But They're also making games that they think will sell to their target audience. Call 'em Japanophiles, weeaboos, whatever you like. But I think their core fanbase, worldwide, is all they're really worried about right now. If their statements regarding Bravely Default and their supposedly changing business model were true and not just more PR bunk, that is.

Also, remember that this game was originally being developed during the XIII dev period and was originally tied to that game series. So a lot of what you see in this game is going to, at its core, be a reflection of the mindset at the time. And, for good or for ill, look at how XIII turned out.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
markell you are fucking retarded if you think developers 20 years ago weren't making games for the market

this is an industry

making money has always been of utmost importance

quit being a fucking retarded 12 year old thx

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
markell you are fucking retarded if you think developers 20 years ago weren't making games for the market

this is an industry

making money has always been of utmost importance

quit being a fucking retarded 12 year old thx

Never said that dickwad. You've inferred something that I never implied.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The fact that they are making a game they feel is going to relate to the youth/audience is indicative of the industry and, to a certain extent, neo-liberal economics (bear with me on this).

They sound like they are making a game they think will appeal to a specific audience, knowing that this will make them moolah. They don't sound like they are making the game how they like it. They sound like they are focusing on what they think will sell, rather than games that they enjoy making.

get fucked mark, everything you wrote here makes it sound like this is all new

"durrr i remember when video games had soul and developers made games they wanted to, not because they wanted money, they did it from the goodness of their heart" is what your post sounds like

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
get fucked mark, everything you wrote here makes it sound like this is all new

"durrr i remember when video games had soul and developers made games they wanted to, not because they wanted money, they did it from the goodness of their heart" is what your post sounds like

It might be what it sounds like, but not what it says.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
One thing I wanted to clarify is that I'm not an insecure homophobe as nruva (might) be suggesting and my reluctance to embrace the series has more to do with what Taiso and Markell are discussing here (AKA the weeaboo factor).

I don't think "cool" and "japanese" have to be mutually exclusive from one another....there was a time when I was totally obsessed with japanese weirdness. Something like Chrono Cross was off the wall and "japanese" but it never grated my nerves like these new FFs.

I think the guys at Squeenix have zeroed in on their target demo like a laser (much like Sonic Team) and have alienated a broader, more generalized audience in exchange for a "sure thing" with the "hardcore" (read: fucked up) fan base.

And I think that's what I find so "gay" about it all....and in this discussion, "gay" doesn't connote homosexual affinities so much as it describes the eyerolling dialogue, the angsty narrative, the silly names, the cookie cutter protagonists, the convoluted melee weapon design, and so on.

So if this is going to be my last post in this thread, let me just say that I'm not judging anyone here for sticking it out with this series and enjoying the good parts these newer games may offer.

And let me also state that even though I sound like I am, I'm actually not an insecure, homophobe troglodyte and that I'll be keeping an eye on this game regardless. So in the future feel free to bump this thread with any news or developments.

And that is all. =)

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Most of FF's guys look like girls anyway, or act like one.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I'm a sucker for modern day rpg/fantasy

I've skipped out on the last couple of FF games but I'm coming back for this one

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Square-Enix is like Apple, the amount of emotion they garner with everything they do is amazing.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
and no one answered it, so here is the answer:

Artist: Tetsuya Nomura

word

keep this fag away from the series and it may have a chance again.

I've barely been keeping up with this game and can easily tell it has a "road trip" theme. Based on that, I think it's totally fine it's an all-male cast. I just wish they put more time into the character designs. Noctis looks cool. The rest don't. FF has had a ton of female characters, not all of them for pure ogling purposes. So I think it's silly and band-wagony to start calling them out at this stage. The cast fits the theme. Not much more to it than that.

I can kind of understand people not liking the main character of X but I think it's one of the best games of the 128 bit era and is my favorite Final Fantasy game. XII was actually really good and I'm surprised people don't like it. It was as close as a return to the SNES era (in terms of atmosphere) as you're going to get save for IX. XIII I think the characters turned a lot of people off and is probably my least favorite cast but I really liked Lightning, Vanille, and Fang. I thought it was a great game. You got to take down your planet's religious establishment. That's pretty awesome.

People love hating FF. I remember when I was in fourth or fifth grade or so and Power Rangers had been super popular growing up. And then everyone decided "Power Rangers was stupid and it was always stupid and I hate it wha wha." This kind of reminds me of that. People growing out of something but not being able to simply say, "OK, I'm done with this." Instead they have to say that everything is utter shit and isn't up to their sophisticated taste. SE could make a fantastic game and people would still say it sucks, it was pussified, it was homoerotic, it was dull, etc. Fuck that. I love Final Fantasy.

FFXII was a wasted potential IMO. It had great settings, very good cast (Balthier and Basch were really great), nice voice acting and enjoyable gameplay. Too bad it barely had any story though.

I enjoyed FFXIII as much as I enjoyed FFX. Fun gameplay, shitty cast and story. FFXIII's linearity didn't bother me, but it's not something I would like to remain with the series (kinda like how FFXII's battle system was different). Also, the game offered a plenty of side quests near its end, and the locations got better in the second half.

I agree with everything you said here btw.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
FFXII was an offline MMORPG, sort of like .hack. You get direct control over one character only.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
This looks fun to play. Can't wait to see what else they have in store. Not an immediate purchase for me but it's whatever.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'll wait and see. Since I don't give a fuck about waifus, the cast doesn't bother me beyond the usual "Nomura makes the same 4 characters over and over again" and zippers and buckles jokes. The real problem is what Poon said: ever since Sakaguchi left, Squeenix has been aiming FF at a more narrow and narrow demo (weeaboos who like pretty boys, love pillows and anime self-seriousness) and there came a point where I stopped playing Final Fantasy games out of fear that someone would walk in the room. The j-pop, the cringy voice acting, the pandering fan service.... it became increasingly ridiculous and humorless at the same time. Just embarrassing.

All that said, I'm still willing to give it a try if they make an interesting combat system and I can play the game with subtitles so I don't have to pay attention to the awful voices.