Final Fantasy VIII makes a little more sense after reading this

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Good read. Thanks for the link.

Reminds me of the analysis article written about Metal Gear Solid 2 that puts that game in better perspective, too.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Loved this game's story.

So many people were pissed off that the entire cast wasn't well rounded as in previous games.

I didn't care. I enjoyed the story that was there and accepted that it was a story about one character, with supporting characters for him to use as soundboards.

Definitely felt rewarded by the game's ending when I beat it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Good read. Thanks for the link.

Reminds me of the analysis article written about Metal Gear Solid 2 that puts that game in better perspective, too.

Got a link? I spent hours trying to explain it to friends. It's pretty much "Critical Theory 101: The Game"

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I loved FFVIII, I'll probably re-purchase it off PSN

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
speaking of final fantasy, can someone tell me the gist of XIII's plot?

I have asked this question many a time o'er countless forums, but to no avail

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
It has been too long to even care, but worth the read. Do it with film all the time.

fake

15 Year Member
speaking of final fantasy, can someone tell me the gist of XIII's plot?

I have asked this question many a time o'er countless forums, but to no avail

I'm just slapping this down so I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff...

Humans live in a hollowed out moon where it's nice and safe, away from the planet itself, which is chalked up to being home to terrible monsters and sin - basically a physical hell, minus the fire and brimstones. The moon is governed and run (water, food, technology, etc) by demigod-like machines.

Shit gets fucked and the religious establishment members start saying that the people haven't been paying homage to the machines. They're fear mongers and warn people that there will be a repeat of an old and terrible war with the planet below if the humans don't worship the machines. These machines can mark people as their servants with a sort of glowing tattoo. Those who don't finish their task - which must be interpreted through visions - are killed. If they do finish their task, they're turned to crystal and granted eternal life. There's a huge stigma against anything from Pulse, so those who come into contact with anything from the planet are kicked out.

One girl comes into contact with something from Pulse and is also marked by the machines. She's turned into crystal. Her sister, bf, and other people find her. Upon finding her, they're also marked and have a shared vision, though it's not clear what it means. To put it shortly, they have to take down the religious establishment.

The game as a whole is very anti-religious and pretty much says "religion is keeping humans from achieving self-fulfillment" and "religion is used to scare people into doing what the people at the top see as correct, and most people accept this or don't even realize it."

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Seeing as that site is complete speculation, well yes, it could have happened that way. Rinoa could actually be Ultimecia in past form as well etc etc. I still believe Squall died at the end of the game either way.

fake

15 Year Member
Seeing as that site is complete speculation, well yes, it could have happened that way. Rinoa could actually be Ultimecia in past form as well etc etc. I still believe Squall died at the end of the game either way.

Thanks for the spoiler alert. :annoyed:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Definitely felt rewarded by the game's ending when I beat it.

Me too. I've always thought it was the series' best ending apart from VI's. I thought you really got a sense of what each character was about, and it had just the right amount of whimsy.

FFVIII isn't the best FF, but it's pretty far from the worst in my book.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Spoiler alert: at the end of FF8 you find out it was a dream of the ghost of Aeris.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Also, the ice thing is being stretched to far. It didn't go where his heart/spine was, and traditionally in anything fantasy, a stab like that is typically unlethal in nature. Not buying that explanation. In fact, I feel it was intentionally placed there to look unlethal also, a easy observation, and seeing it any other way is just pulling at straws imo.

Also, I didn't really read this, I skimmed to that part, so if its all a sarcastic thing, then cool. To much reading, and to much reading of FFVIII, a game I didn't care much for.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
If you're referring to the Rinoa-Ultimecia thing. That's speculation on my part, not a spoiler. You have beaten the game right?

No, I never beat the game. It came out when I was in middle school and I wasn't very good / familiar with RPGs. I leveled up my characters all wrong and sent all the girls on one mission and the dudes on another. The girls weren't leveled up well and I only had one or two save spots. Anyway, I got to a particularly tough part and the girls couldn't handle it, no matter what I tried. I had to start all over, so I got discouraged. I started a new job earlier this year and my coworker who isn't a huge gamer was raving about VIII. I figured I'd play it again all the way through sometime soon. I was half joking about the spoiler alert. There's an implied 10 year rule with spoiler expirations.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Well the monsters level up as you do, so levels matter little in FFVIII. Understanding the junction system is pretty much vital. Your characters stats are dependant on which GF is equipped and what magic is junctioned to what. I could go on and on, but my advise if you're playing it through again - LIMIT BREAK.