Finally deleted my Photobucket account

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I got sick of Photobucket's persistent emails that I needed to remove photos (I was way below there GB limit, but WAY above their image count limit--you're only allowed 250 pictures on a free account now, I had like 15,000!) or buy a package, so, I told them to nuke the account, as I don't use it anymore anyway. Everything was hunky dory until they changed their policies on image hosting some years back and broke the internet. Before, there was a simple button to delete your account, but, now you have to email support and ask them to do it, and then answer about ten security questions on top of that before they'll even agree to do so. Fook that place, fook it to motherfooking hell! I seriously don't understand how they've stayed in business?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Fuck Photobucket. I had like 3 years of photos on the free account. They told me it was no longer free, so I signed up like 4 months later and paid the monthly fee to just download my pics and they were all gone.

They said in order to retrieve all my photos I had to sign up.

I just use imgur now and make sure I back up my photos on my hard drive.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Imgur is the GOAT. I’ve been using it for 5 years now with none of the issues associated with Photobucket. I highly recommend it to anyone who has an image hosting account with another site.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Photobucket....forgot that even existed.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Got rid of mine awhile back when they got way too greedy.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Deleted that years ago. Why bother when better, free hosts exists?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Photobucket is a dumpster fire. I won't even bother to close my old account.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

Yeah I just said screw it and pretended like it doesn't exist anymore. Unrelated note, it was surreal uninstalling Flash after years of it being absolutely necessary. The notification from Adobe said not only would they discontinue support but it will block any flash media from working on your computer....does that mean someone is going to have to come up with a Flash emulator to play old Flash games? How would that even work?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
photobucket is single-handedly responsible for so much lost forum knowledge across tons of different hobbies. car forums especially. fuck photobucket

@M

20 Year Member

I didn't for many years either, but, like I said, I got sick of their notification emails about my account being over their new limits. I could have blocked them and/or directed those to spam, but, then I worried they'd send me some kind of legal action statement one day and I wouldn't see it and end up having to pay a fine or something, so, I figured I'll just get rid of it once and for all.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yeah I just said screw it and pretended like it doesn't exist anymore. Unrelated note, it was surreal uninstalling Flash after years of it being absolutely necessary. The notification from Adobe said not only would they discontinue support but it will block any flash media from working on your computer....does that mean someone is going to have to come up with a Flash emulator to play old Flash games? How would that even work?

https://ruffle.rs/

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I remember photobucket closing my account because years ago I had some hardcore sex pics of me and my girlfriend at the time on my account.

No big loss.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Looks like I'll have to buy a plan to rescue my old pictures from like 2011.

There's a reason I host all my images on photosuckit.com now.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Fucking hate Photobucket. I had an account all through my teens and a couple years ago Photobucket just removed like half of the pictures I made for one reason or another. Promptly backed the rest up and bid farewell. So many times I'm on an old thread and the photobucket pics are gone. Shame.

Imgur is the GOAT. I’ve been using it for 5 years now with none of the issues associated with Photobucket. I highly recommend it to anyone who has an image hosting account with another site.

Does anyone else have problems with Imgur on mobile (android)? When people embed imgur pictures all I see is grey squares, and when I click on them I'm taken into imgur but I just see a grey screen. It's infuriating, I'm convinced it's intentional to try and get suckers to download the app like facebook messenger bullshit

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
photobucket is single-handedly responsible for so much lost forum knowledge across tons of different hobbies. car forums especially. fuck photobucket

I was pretty bummed out last year trying to go into my photobucket to find pictures from 15 years ago about this forum, only to see my account doesn't exist anymore.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
it's not the first nor the last time an image host will pull the ole switcharoo (remember imageshack?)

keep backups...

@M

20 Year Member
Fooks are still sending me emails that my account is over their limits, grrr . . .

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I was pretty bummed out last year trying to go into my photobucket to find pictures from 15 years ago about this forum, only to see my account doesn't exist anymore.

shit sucks. one of the best parts of the old internet

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yep, this. I actually randomly was on the Shoryuken Tech Talk forums recently and found a 10 year old thread I started with some schematics obliterated by the Photobucket restrictions. I reuploaded everything to Imgur and edited the posts with those links instead. Fuck Photobucket.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'll have to go through mine. Got some pics of old cars and shit.

@M

20 Year Member
So . . . it's been weeks now, and Photobucket is STILL sending me emails that my account has exceeded their limits and that I need to take action (the Photobucket representative I've been talking with classifies those as "marketing emails", the fuck?) and ALL of my photos still work, even literally thousands of them that I personally deleted prior to even requesting my account be terminated. Photobucket is very, very broken if they can't even remove my photos or eradicate my account properly.

This has become a SNK boss fight and I'm losing guys. I've considered filing a complaint with the BBB, but, that seems excessive to me. I really don't understand why they can't just remove me from their server or whatever and be done with it. One would think that'd only take a few mouse clicks on their end?

@M

20 Year Member
I've considered that, but, I'm still in violation of their current service terms until this gets resolved, so, my concern is that, if I block them, I won't see email notices about them escalating things which could potentially have legal repercussions.