Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Taking the 460 to the range this morning, I made it through 21 hot rounds and 9 more light loads...and that was it, my freaking R hand was killing me...as was my R forearm.
That was 10 hrs ago and my R hand is still sore...wow.

I will say that this is an excessively accurate firearm. When I wasn't flinching, I shot it better with iron sights than I did with my Super Redhawk and a scope...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
460 vs 44 mg you say? Ok...so I've been chomping at the bit to do this, so here's what I found.

Fist off, I'm going to give the disclaimer that this is MY load data and mine alone...use this at your own risk!

With that said. I wanted to compare my 7.5" Super Redhawk and my 460 x-frame. Give or take, both are 7.5" barreled. Here's the fellas:
qVuvb0gh.jpg

They weigh in nearly identical at 4.4 bs each. Th SRH is actually 4.401 lbs, the 460 4.490 lbs.

On to the loads. Attempting to be as fair as possible, I wanted to use the same projectiles so I ran with Hornady XTP (and XTP MAG), 240g and 300g. All were using Starline brass. Here's the load data:

44 mag- 240g XTP. 24.1g H110, Win LP mag primer, 1.600" OAL
44 mag- 300g XTP. 24.1g H110, Win LP mag primer, 1.750" OAL (This is using Brian Pierce load info)

460 mag- 240g XTP. 48g H110, Fed LR mag primer, 2.160"OAL
460 mag- 300g XTP. 39g H110, Fed LR mag primer, 2.165"OAL

Here's the loads (240g on the L, 300g on the R):
Hpa5p0Ul.jpg

I've never loaded 44 mag that long before, but they do fit perfectly in my Super Redhawk cylinder.

So I took these out today, high 70's outside. Chrono from 10'"

44 mag- 240g XTP. 1433 fps, energy 1094 ft/lb, 15.51 ft/lb of recoil
44 mag- 300g XTP. 1277 fps, energy 1086 ft/lb, 18.24 ft/lb recoil

460 mag- 240g XTP. 1941 fps, energy 2007 ft/lb, 35.19 ft/lb recoil
460 mag- 300g XTP. 1704 fps, energy 1934 ft/lb, 35.23 ft/lb recoil

What did I learn? Well...those extra 500 fps between the 44 magnum and the 460 come with a steep price. Where I found the 44 magnum loads to be very stout, but well within the comfort zone, the 460 loads kicked like an angry mule and rang my ears through foamies AND muffs. With that said, I loved every min of it, the 460 is a riot to shoot.

What else did I learn? Those Brian Pierce loads really aren't anything special. Seated to 1.750" over 24.1g of H110 produced 1277 fps, seated to 1.600" and over 19.5g of H110, they are spitting out at 1224 fps. Hornady says I can go up to 20.1g.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm tired of politics or COVID...so I decided to bump this thread. I know ammo is slim-pickins at the moment, so is anyone doing any shooting?

Save a few weekends, I'm still going and shooting reloads only. I was able to get a nice amount of primers before all of this stupidity started last spring. I foolishly decided to start reloading 7.62x54r for my T53 Mosin last week. I always wrote the gun off as being inaccurate but when I tried some decent Wolf Gold, The thing actually shot very well. Because of that, I decided to load my own but getting brass isn't the easiest. Not many companies make it and the few that do are Privi and LaPua (yeah, fathom that). LaPua is very expensive, $150 or so for 100 brass, Privi is far more affordable, $50/100.

Either way, got everything ordered and loaded up my first with 175g Sierra Match King projectiles.

I've been primarily shooting my 44 magnum Henry lever action and that Mosin for the past few weeks, I really jacked up my hand shooting that 460 again and again. I'm taking a month or so off from it to let my thumb-joint heal.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I'm tired of politics or COVID...so I decided to bump this thread. I know ammo is slim-pickins at the moment, so is anyone doing any shooting?

Save a few weekends, I'm still going and shooting reloads only. I was able to get a nice amount of primers before all of this stupidity started last spring. I foolishly decided to start reloading 7.62x54r for my T53 Mosin last week. I always wrote the gun off as being inaccurate but when I tried some decent Wolf Gold, The thing actually shot very well. Because of that, I decided to load my own but getting brass isn't the easiest. Not many companies make it and the few that do are Privi and LaPua (yeah, fathom that). LaPua is very expensive, $150 or so for 100 brass, Privi is far more affordable, $50/100.

Either way, got everything ordered and loaded up my first with 175g Sierra Match King projectiles.

I've been primarily shooting my 44 magnum Henry lever action and that Mosin for the past few weeks, I really jacked up my hand shooting that 460 again and again. I'm taking a month or so off from it to let my thumb-joint heal.

No shooting, just hoarding ammo. Might pick up another firearm in the near future but haven't decided on what.

On a unrelated note can anyone recommend a gun smith that does custom fab.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
No shooting, just hoarding ammo. Might pick up another firearm in the near future but haven't decided on what.

On a unrelated note can anyone recommend a gun smith that does custom fab.

Every time one of these panics comes along, it doesn't take long for me to refuse to pay asking price.

Thankfully, 2020 was an election year or else I wouldn't have stocked up on primers. No one saw the pandemic panic crap and I wouldn't have prepared for it.

This panic seems to mostly be 9mm and 223 with 9mm being near insane. 2013 was 22LR. The prices on 9mm and small pistol primers are at insanity levels. People are willingly paying $40-50/box for 9mm...something that was well under $10 before this all started. depending on the type, primers are going for $200-250 a case...something that was under $30 6 months ago.

What kind of custom work are you looking to get done?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Only shooting 22lr as its the only replenishable stuff I can find...

The charger I got is super fun, and easy to shoot well.

9mm and 5.56 are fucking bananas right now.
Some old timers at work just got into guns because of the current events,
all three of them got ar rifles and 9mm handguns and they have never shot them because they cant find ammo.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Every time one of these panics comes along, it doesn't take long for me to refuse to pay asking price.

Thankfully, 2020 was an election year or else I wouldn't have stocked up on primers. No one saw the pandemic panic crap and I wouldn't have prepared for it.

This panic seems to mostly be 9mm and 223 with 9mm being near insane. 2013 was 22LR. The prices on 9mm and small pistol primers are at insanity levels. People are willingly paying $40-50/box for 9mm...something that was well under $10 before this all started. depending on the type, primers are going for $200-250 a case...something that was under $30 6 months ago.

What kind of custom work are you looking to get done?

Well what I need done is well !!!

Was wondering if anyone could fab me a functional custom barrel for my Desert Eagle to make it look like a Lightning Hawk

thu_01.jpg

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Just grabbed my first recently, a Glock 17. Only been to the range a few times so far, hoping to go more in the new year. But 9mm ammo has been wicked hard to find, so I've hoarded the bit I do have.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Looking at maybe grabbing an AR15 once a prices stabilize. Tho I'm also tempted by some .22 stuff to use at the range

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well what I need done is well !!!

Was wondering if anyone could fab me a functional custom barrel for my Desert Eagle to make it look like a Lightning Hawk

Woa...well, if you can find a place to get the work done...I can't begin to imagine the price.

Looking at maybe grabbing an AR15 once a prices stabilize. Tho I'm also tempted by some .22 stuff to use at the range

With things being what they are, I'd look at a S&W 15-22. Much of the same mechanics as an AR, but shoots 22LR. I've had one for pushing a decade now and it's always been a solid rifle.

One piece of advice...if you really are looking into an AR, do yourself a solid and get a few 30rd magazines now. Personally, I like Magpul, but there's all kinds of solid brands. If Biden proposes some mag-cap ban or something, prices on them will skyrocket like they do every time. ARs will get worse as well...but that will all depend on what he'll attempt to ban.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The Desert Eagle barrel is removable. Essentially I need the real firmarm version of this.

View attachment 58621

Ok...so I had to look all of that up, its from RE. Yeah...I'm sure that if you looked hard enough, you could find some place that might make such a thing for you...but I'm guessing you'd drop more than the price of a used car to get it made.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Ok...so I had to look all of that up, its from RE. Yeah...I'm sure that if you looked hard enough, you could find some place that might make such a thing for you...but I'm guessing you'd drop more than the price of a used car to get it made.

I called Magnum research and they told me they don't do custom fabrication. The best they said they could do is sell me a regular 10 inch barrel

pic16757.gif

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

Get yourself an AR15 and a CMMG drop in .22lr kit.
Just swap the bolt/carrier to go back and forth.
Plink/practice with .22 and 5.56 for the other stuff.
All in one tidy package.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Get yourself an AR15 and a CMMG drop in .22lr kit.
Just swap the bolt/carrier to go back and forth.
Plink/practice with .22 and 5.56 for the other stuff.
All in one tidy package.

There are a few "yeah-but's" to doing that. My cousin did just that and I found a few things; first off, they run DIRTY, so you'll be cleaning your actual AR a ton. Second, The twist rate in an AR barrel is all kinds of wrong for 22LR, so accuracy is sucky. My 15-22 easily outshot his with the conversion.

I don't know how much a 15-22 is now, but back then it was only a few $100 more than the conversion...something like $250 or less. For me, that was worth the extra cash.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Man, i had no idea rounds were up so much. My 22lr rounds were like 16-18 cents a round online, plus shipping. . They were regularly .05 per round. Stupid.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Man, i had no idea rounds were up so much. My 22lr rounds were like 16-18 cents a round online, plus shipping. . They were regularly .05 per round. Stupid.

Now is definitely NOT the time to buy any ammo...unless, for some reason, you really need it. I've been through a few panics and attempting to buy ammo during one will put a dent in your wallet.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
There are a few "yeah-but's" to doing that. My cousin did just that and I found a few things; first off, they run DIRTY, so you'll be cleaning your actual AR a ton. Second, The twist rate in an AR barrel is all kinds of wrong for 22LR, so accuracy is sucky. My 15-22 easily outshot his with the conversion.

I don't know how much a 15-22 is now, but back then it was only a few $100 more than the conversion...something like $250 or less. For me, that was worth the extra cash.

All .22lr guns are "dirty" period.
They are accurate enough to practice fundamentals with.
Also good enough for general plinking.
If you need super duper accuracy with a .22 this really isn't the place you're going to be looking anyway.
The .22 drop in kit is about $250, a 15/22 it near or over $400 right now.
You'll also be practicing with the actual trigger/sights/optics you would be using elsewhere.
It's also easier to toss a drop-in kit and 2 mags than drag an extra rifle with you.
Some indoor ranges won't allow a "rifle" caliber but a .22 is fine.
Another thing to consider, and what I eventually did, is you can turn your conversion into a dedicated upper that you can just pop on to any standard lower vs the proprietary components of the 15/22.
What you're saying is completely true yes.
I guess what he should really decide first is what does he really want at this time.
Their are pros/cons to both of our approaches.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Supreme Court will hear a case next term regarding the right to carry a firearm outside the home. The court has not taken a firearm case of an import since 2010.

A circuit court ruled IL’s FOID scheme was unconstitutional. It will be interesting to see how far up the appeals process this goes. I think it’s most certainly unconstitutional since it attempts to license a right.

I recently received my 80% G19 frame and kit. I haven’t worked on it yet, but plan to sometime soon. A fortuitous time to receive it since it looks like some “ghost gun” legislation is coming.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The Supreme Court will hear a case next term regarding the right to carry a firearm outside the home. The court has not taken a firearm case of an import since 2010.

A circuit court ruled IL’s FOID scheme was unconstitutional. It will be interesting to see how far up the appeals process this goes. I think it’s most certainly unconstitutional since it attempts to license a right.

I recently received my 80% G19 frame and kit. I haven’t worked on it yet, but plan to sometime soon. A fortuitous time to receive it since it looks like some “ghost gun” legislation is coming.

The FOID system is not only a mess, it's also a poll tax, and they're trying to make it worse.

I'm no lawyer, but making someone have a card to exercise a constitutionally right is in itself, wrong. An elderly lady was arrested in Chicago for having a firearm in her home that belonged to her late husband. The crime was simply not having a FOID although she was otherwise completely in the clear to own that firearm. The courts overturned the charges against her, stating that simply not having a FOID doesn't make you a criminal...or at least, shouldn't.

If I remember correctly, the FOID card was taken to court as being unconstitutional years ago, the state's concession was to up it from 3 (or 4) years to 10, and to make the fee $1/yr. Now, these whack-jobs want to "fix the FOID" taking it from 10 to 5, upping the yearly fee from $1 to $10, and requiring all kinds of other hoops to jump though, like getting fingerprinted. I'd like to see the NAACP jump on that shit, if they pass it.

You cannot charge a person to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It will be interesting to see if the state appeals this to a higher court, I think they’ll ultimately lose particularly if it gets to the Supreme Court.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Since when did anyone care about licensing rights. Right to travel is heavily licensed, so that argument doesn't work unless you want to start repealing that too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Since when did anyone care about licensing rights. Right to travel is heavily licensed, so that argument doesn't work unless you want to start repealing that too.

By all means let’s get rid of that too.

But please keep in mind a license to own a firearm vs to carry a firearm in public are two separate issues.

Your ability to travel isn’t licensed but the means for you to travel are. You can walk wherever the fuck you want.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'm surprised they didn't think about making people get a license for using a firearm.