Fishing, what’s the appeal?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I use to go line fishing with my dad...

It was sorta fun... except for the weird hours... midnight to dawn...

There's a large fishing community here in Manchester and people see it as just an enjoyeable time out... chillin' out with the radio on and watching the world go by...

What I discovered was how much they were willing to spend on their fishing equipment... man... some of these guys are hardcore...

xROTx

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Maybe it's cause I have adhd or maybe i was a cat in a past life, but I fucking love the tranquility of waiting for your prey.

For in that moment you forget all about your troubles and just focus on catching dinner.

The biggest fish I caught was some sort of bass, it was big like a 40, I used a frog I caught as bait.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
you ever sit around all day visiting the same websites? it's like that, but you are outdoors.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Fishing only sucks if you’re sober.

People who like fishing while sober are true fishing enthusiasts. People who get drunk/high while fishing just want another excuse to get fucked up. I’m in the latter group. ;)

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I used to go fishing with my parents back in the day. It was one of those things to do on a summer afternoon/evening. Just really relaxing. Mind you I’ve only done line fishing with a float and live bait in fresh water. I was never successful with Jigs or other fake bait. Never tried fly fishing. One thing I’ll never consider doing again is frog gigging. Did that one summer a few times. Hated it.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I love fishing.

You can have days like this...

HPIM3079_zps6e849e2a.JPG

Days like this...

22175.jpeg

And days like this...

0103201104_HDR~2.jpg

All smiles

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^^Is that a sturgeon in the first pic?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Haven't done it in a while, but, I've gone fishing several times, and, alas, I truly suck at it. I've never actually gotten a fish, and the only thing I ever did hook was a pair of denim shorts, and they fell off of the hook before I could even reach them with my hand (and I was fishing off of a rock cliff over a lake, so, it's not like getting them back again was practical), so, I never even found out if the pockets on those shorts were stuffed with waterlogged hundred dollar bills, soggy crack cocaine, or used condoms, and not knowing that will forever haunt me. There are shitloads of lakes and rivers/streams where I live, so fishing is mighty popular, and crazy fooks even ice fish in portable wooden or metal shanties during the winter months too.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
When I was young I used to love fishing, even got to the point where I started fly fishing and tying my own flies. Then I discovered girls and then it was like fuck all that

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
When I was young I used to love fishing, even got to the point where I started fly fishing and tying my own flies. Then I discovered girls and then it was like fuck all that

And yet you’ve maintained an active account on a gaming forum for 20 years.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
when I was like 7, I caught a cube. it was rock with moss all over it totally square about four inches or so...my uncle threw it back! I look back now and realize I couldhave been pinhead I mean obviously it was meant to be mine catching it from like twenty feet down trolling in a boat out on a lake?

or used condoms,
-one of these things is not the same here!

I can't decide if this guy is about to sell me on...
none of those. its a married couples therapy series, semi christian maybe but really cant recall.

you obviously do not Fish. a few posts a month is nothing like the commitment fishing requires.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
one of these things is not the same here!

A wad of wet hundred dollar bills is a pipe dream, a wad of used condoms is a more realistic "prize". I once found a men's winter jacket on the side of the road that had a pair of shit-stained women's thong panties stuffed in the pocket (also a tube of toothpaste and a bottle of cologne, so, he obviously got lucky on his date night). It's probably best not to root through the pockets of abandoned clothing you find out in the middle of nowhere, but, I can't help myself--spending too much time looting video game RPG treasure chests gives you unrealistic expectations that never pan out in real life.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member

Doesn’t mean I’ve done anything with them, I’m just aware of the potential.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
after a 20 year hiatus I went back to active fishing again :)

and really enjoy it.

also got some new gear lately.

and found my old fishing box xD

Attachments

• 86423460_513096919346672_8494878685042573312_n.jpg
    86423460_513096919346672_8494878685042573312_n.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 66
  • fisch01.jpg
    fisch01.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 65
  • EQ0bOICWAAISIrh.jpg
    EQ0bOICWAAISIrh.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 66

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I haven't been fishing in years (probably since my 20s), but I remember it being sorta zen-like. When I was out there sitting on a boat in the middle of the lake, I felt at peace with the world. I think I'll try to get back on the lake this summer.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
We fish often - many things about it we enjoy. There is science, art, and luck. Catching the fish you are after by using the right rod, reel, bait and technique is rewarding. Knowing what's nibbling at your bait isn't what you want and shaking it loose - rewarding. We fish streams, rivers, ponds, small lakes and big lakes - each is a different experience. There is definitely a scenery / nature aspect to it. We like to think we fish responsibly - keep what's legal and what we'll eat and return safely the rest.

End of the day - after 30 years of fishing, I still get excited each time I have something on the line and the ones that get away are always monsters.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It's never been my thing. My son likes it and occasionally we go together, it's nice to just spend the time with him.