Fishing, what’s the appeal?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Never been into it. Have gone a couple of times when I was younger but seems like a boring endeavour as an adult. When we go away to somewhere by the sea I’ll get back and without fail someone will ask “did you catch anything?” There is a breed of people that just assumes everyone autopilots to the pier with a fishing rod when they go away? Love eating seafood but I have no interest catching it myself.

Hunting isn’t as common here because we have normal post industrial revolution age type gun laws that prohibits the widespread use of firearms so not many people seem to be into that pass time in compartment fishing.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Fished once with my pops when I was a kid. Not a big fan either.

I guess it could be relaxing maybe fun with some drinks and friends.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
it's about wasting time. how do you waste time? fishing is how some people do it....

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Mostly it's to have time away from your significant other and bs with friends. Not a fan of fresh water fish and that's my only option. I'm sure as hell not going to plan a seaside vacation and fish, lol.

theMot

10 Year Member
it's about wasting time. how do you waste time? fishing is how some people do it....

It’s a fair commitment for just wasting time. You have to get up early, get bait, usually drive far... it’s not like having a causal blast on COD.

Marek

Banned
Hiking in to a mountain creek and fly fishing for huge trout to grill is the most fun shit ever

theMot

10 Year Member
Hiking in to a mountain creek and fly fishing for huge trout to grill is the most fun shit ever

I saw Tool on Monday, pops. Great show, even got a signed poster.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
I used to do it with snares and nets but never for sport. I find it boring.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Fishing by it's own bores the shit out of me but if we're gonna get hammered and have a bbq with fishing as the activity then why not.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Because they're too poor to go waterskiing or skidooing but want to say they did something at the lake.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Fishing games > actual fishing

I used to hunt and fish when I lived in Wyoming but there wasn't a whole lot else to do. Unless the zombie apocalypse happens, consider me retired. I do recommend giving it a go at least once though. The time and effort involved certainly made me appreciate that grocery stores are a thing.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
normal post industrial revolution age type gun laws=circa 1996 just like being allowed to have a dog...Agree that both should be controlled but not to the point of discrimination, suggesting its for kooks.

aside 'here' you are more allowed guns so you can come back alive from fishing-the woods

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Love fishing, I was exposed to it at a very young age. The best is out on a boat, but I’ll take it on a jetty or off the rocks. There’s so many variables at play when it come to catching fish; rig, tackle, bait, tides and of course the fish. You cant expect to just throw a line in and catch something and I think this is what turns most people off; a lot of effort with little reward. I don’t have time to go out like I used to and I miss it, these days it’ll be off the jetty and I’ll take the kids, I spend 3/4 of the time baiting the kids’ lines, cast them out, they get snagged or lose their bait and it’s that process repeated until they lose interest. Then I’ll be spend the last quarter enjoying the dregs of the soft prawns that have turned to mush in the bucket while the missus takes them to the play equipment.

This is why I really want a boat. Nothing beats boat fishing. You also have to catch something good to catch the fishing bug, no point bothering if you’re just a tourist.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I grew up on a river and a lake. It's about chilling in nature with good friends or relatives. Taking a boat out to that sweet spot with a cooler full of beer at just the right time. Peaceful as fuck. Ice fishing is also awesome.

Fly fishing is an art unto itself.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

I just can't do this. I can usually enjoy a short hike enough just to get out for some exercise but my brain is wired for the destination as the goal of the task, so I tend to move too quickly, wear myself out, I am the hare of the fabled Tortoise v. Hare.

Same goes for fishing. I had fun fishing all of one time. It was prep for a fish fry and we were on a friend's stocked pond with Crappie that were basically jumping into the boat. Dip your rod in and something was biting in under a minute. In fishing the goal is to catch fish. If I'm not catching fish, I don't enjoy the time spent, tried many times with my grandpa, never stuck.

I think my brain doesn't work well with things that have a determined end/goal but some sort of indeterminate lead up. I get anxious for example when doing a repetitive task. Stuffing a lot of envelopes, inventory a board game with lots of small pieces, moving stock of identical boxes from one place to another. At some point I usually begin to work a bit frantically and develop an anxious feeling as I can see the end coming but I need to stop, regroup, and slow myself down.

All that to say that I guess I don't like fishing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey lithster, did you ever have a game of catch with your dad?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

That and stitting around, doing nothing.

I went fishing as a youngster preferrably at dawn or early morning, didn't catch a lot but found it kinda nice to just sit there and enjoy nature around me. Mainly went for carp but mostly got some measly whitefish, if at all.

Sport fishing is a bit silly, tho. These guys take more expensive equipment with them than a car racing team.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
When we were living in Panama, we did couple fishing w/ a lot of the military families. I think maybe 6 or 7 families and we would rent out a couple boats and go to some island to have lunch & dinner picnics/potluck. The men would go on the boat to fish & the kids would fish near the docks, while the womens would prep whatever they brought. Of course, my first time fishing i caught the biggest out of everyone. It was probably beginners luck as i haven't caught shit since. It was really fun and great memory to have.

When we move to the states, my parents got all ghetto w/ fishing. They would make us go really late at night or early morning to go smelting. Had to use some long ass pole w/ net as the smelt would just swim right up to the nets. Usually it was super cold and wet, was nothing fun about it. They would also make us go to the indian reservation during Salmon season they would give free salmon away per person. We had to lug around our own cooler all the way to the car. Then when we got home, we had to gut it. Slimy bloody and all that guts all over the place. It sucked.

As an adult, i used to go to the community lake/pond to go fishing with my first born and her cousin. Just a quiet way of bonding and building memories. She always seem to like it & was excited when we did the glamping last summer as we haven't gone fishing for almost a decade. Probably will do it again this year. The other two youngins liked it too, even though we didn't catch anything.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Hey lithster, did you ever have a game of catch with your dad?

Yep, often. Although I had given up on baseball by maybe age 10-12. I played more soccer and did that into high school and then by later high school played trumpet and did marching band.

I have no memories.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
big oof

also check it out, the champ used to live in Panama. canon updated.

Marek

Banned
I just can't do this. I can usually enjoy a short hike enough just to get out for some exercise but my brain is wired for the destination as the goal of the task, so I tend to move too quickly, wear myself out, I am the hare of the fabled Tortoise v. Hare.

Same goes for fishing. I had fun fishing all of one time. It was prep for a fish fry and we were on a friend's stocked pond with Crappie that were basically jumping into the boat. Dip your rod in and something was biting in under a minute. In fishing the goal is to catch fish. If I'm not catching fish, I don't enjoy the time spent, tried many times with my grandpa, never stuck.

I think my brain doesn't work well with things that have a determined end/goal but some sort of indeterminate lead up. I get anxious for example when doing a repetitive task. Stuffing a lot of envelopes, inventory a board game with lots of small pieces, moving stock of identical boxes from one place to another. At some point I usually begin to work a bit frantically and develop an anxious feeling as I can see the end coming but I need to stop, regroup, and slow myself down.

All that to say that I guess I don't like fishing.

Idk... Bring some beer next time?

Hiking should be relaxing unless there are large predators pr also in my case moose fucking with you.

Marek

Banned
I saw Tool on Monday, pops. Great show, even got a signed poster.

Nice!

Best show on earth imo. I'm having to skip one nearby as I'm on a bit of a self imposed financial austerity program for the rest of the winter

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Yep I don't get the appeal of fishing either. Bores the shit outta me. I hate boats.

But damn, every kid around gets a hoot out of it so I have to maintain a somewhat begrudging affiliation to the practise.

If DC fishing controllers hadn't skyrocketed in price I would have made the kids catch digital fish a long time ago!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fewer people question you getting drunk in public if there are fishing poles nearby