FLYING WARRIORS(hiryu no ken series appretiation)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I was recently reminded of a childhood favorite NES game that I have pretty much forgotten about. As a kid I remember renting this game just because it was something I had never played, looked like a corney ass generic super hero game.
NES_Flying_Warriors_Box.jpg

but to my surprise what I really got was some kinda awesome martial arts action fighting game with RPG elements and the deepest fighting system on NES (unless someone can point to something else)

so I walked down to gamedeals (local videogame store that is semi internet famous so you may have heard of it) in search of this game and I picked it up and brought it home for 5 bucks! not only is this game as good as I remember, it's quite a bit better! putting the game in master mode opens the game right up and makes it one of the most unique games on the NES.

Anyone else love this under appreciated game, or any others in the series? I also played the snes game in the series called ultimate fighter as a kid but I have only vague memories to go by, I am on the look out for that cart now too :)

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I have really fond memories of Flying Warriors, and to mention something beyond the initial post: I always thought that the usually-unnecessary versus mode was really cool, because (unlike the main game) it gave you the option to play as something like ten different fighters each with their own martial arts style.

I remember kicking my brother's ass all the time with the "Boxer" character because his attack speed was so high, but the "Wrestler" was awesome to use if only to see his suplexes jump five metres above the ring. HAHAHAHA!

PS- The Flying Warriors chick was H-O-T. :cool:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
oh yea that was a definitely cool feature too, I don't know how I overlooked it in the initial post, possibly because I am sucked into the adventure mode as we speak :) I also neglected to mention how amazing the music is.

I bought resistance 3 yesterday and I am loving it, but this old ass NES game totally has distracted me from even touching the ps3 today because it's just that beastly.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
We had the Famicom game, and didn't figure out much of the gameplay so we couldn't progress that much, but we did like what we played of it.

We had the Super Famicom version later, but I remember it having choppy animations and controls, so we shelved it and went back to SF2 / SMW lol.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My earliest Hiryu No Ken experience was with Ultimate Fighter for the SNES.

I was about 13 and it was 1998. I had the bright idea to bring my SNES with me on my annual summer vacation on Cape Cod...something i've never done before.

Well....there happend to be a Blockbuster the town over from where I was staying..and it was still renting out SNES games. I couldn't believe it. Long story short, I rented Ultimate Fighter...and thought it was pretty cool.

Sure, the game is kind of crappy/stiff, but the single plane beat 'em up RPG hybrid is pretty novel for 1993. What game is considered the crown jewel of this series?

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
My earliest Hiryu No Ken experience was with Ultimate Fighter for the SNES.

I was about 13 and it was 1998. I had the bright idea to bring my SNES with me on my annual summer vacation on Cape Cod...something i've never done before.

Well....there happend to be a Blockbuster the town over from where I was staying..and it was still renting out SNES games. I couldn't believe it. Long story short, I rented Ultimate Fighter...and thought it was pretty cool.

Sure, the game is kind of crappy/stiff, but the single plane beat 'em up RPG hybrid is pretty novel for 1993. What game is considered the crown jewel of this series?

my experience with ultimate fighter unfortunately is kinda a negative one. I remember me and my dad both saying it was really cool that we accedently found a sequel to flying warriors which was amazing for a NES game but just not very impressive for a snes game. I think nowdays I would appretiate that one more as the idea of a slightly better looking NES game is actually cool to me now :)

I am am no expert on the series so I'm not sure what most people consider the gem, I havent even tried the famicom versions to be honest, but for me it's all about flying warriors :)

last night I got further than I have ever got as a kid in flying warriors, once again this game ups the crazy and has a entire boss fight in turn based Jrpg battle fasion, I was not prepared for this...

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
to slightly update for the possible one or two guys interested before I let this thread totally die :)

I did a lil more research and playing of the various games and learned a bit

Flying warriors is basically it's own original game pretty much using the foundations of hiryu no ken 3. As much as I love it, hiryu no ken 3 looks wayyy better and I will be hunting it down for sure :)

ultimate fighter is a somewhat close port of hiryu no ken S golden fighter hyper version, the problem with it is not only is character art changed to look like a sequel to flying warriors (main character just looks more western so his sprite looks a lil off) but the gameplay is all mixed up and random, bosses and enemies you are suposed to fight at the end of the game you fight in the begining and vice versa, its very random and more frustrating than it needs to be. No reason to play this really, you can play hiryu no ken S golden fighter hyper version on a emulator or get that one instead.

hiryu no ken S golden fighter non hyper version is very slow and not worth playing. hyper version is improved in the speed area but the game itself is still pretty bad. The beat em up segments are admittedly terrible, but the boss and tournament fights are great to me, if you enjoyed that stuff in shanghai kid, flying dragon or flying warriors then this is the harder and prettier version of that. You will probably hate this game if you come into it as a fighter or beat em up, but if you want 16 bit hiryu no ken battles that are a little more hardcore, it's actually a lot of fun.