Folklore PS3

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Anyone else playing through this? I'm though the first couple chapters and it's a neat game so far. Kind of like a darker, more story-intensive version of Ys/Shining.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. I really want to pick this up and I definitely will sometime in the near future. There just seems to be too many good games (sports games especially) that I think I'm going to be backlogged for a while.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I put more than 40 hours into the JPN version.

Took me a while to get into it, but when I finally did I was hooked.

Would have kept hold of it but have too much to play right now.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Very good game. The gameplay is decent on its own, but the storytelling is the real reason to keep playing.

My 10-year-old step-brother-in-law (is that a real relation? I hope not, he's not very smart) watched me play it for a little once he was done with Thrillville: Off the Rails, and he liked it even though he had no idea what the hell was going on.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I plan on picking it up at the same time I get a 60GB before the end of the year.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
BUMP

Playing through this now. Not quite an rpg, not quite enough to qualify as an adventure either. None the less, Folklore is a very good action game, if a little bit easy. And for an 07' game, it still looks pretty good.

I dig the Pokemon-esq necessity to capture "folk" (the name for Folklore's enemies) before you can use them in combat. That, and the variety of requirements needed to level up each folk. The story itself may not be riveting (murder mystery), but it's one that I do not see used very often, so atleast it doesn't feel recycled.

I'm in the middle of chapter five. It looks as though this'll be a short ride as there're only seven chapters. Probably twelve hours total when it's all said and done. Which is fine for a normal adventure game. Unfortunately, I've spent a good few hours just leveling my folk, which is why I consider Folklore an action game rather than an adventure game. If I had spent $60 on this I may have felt shorted.

Great game for $20-$30 though.

Last edited:

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I've had this for a couple of years but until I get a 16:9 display it's practically unplayable...the game doesn't have an actual 4:3 mode and for whatever stupid reason it won't letterbox resulting in the image being horizontally smushed. :annoyed:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i liked it until it make me use motion controls.
after a while i couldnt go back.

it's a shame too, i loved the style of it.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Like pokemon there's way too many folk. Most of which are useless.

It's a game that hasn't stopped being patched since it's release either. Always more sidequests and one new useless folk". I guess that's a bonus.

I never quite finished the game. Got really far into it, but couldn't finish it. Focused too much on completing Folk requirements I think.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
It's definately an interesting game but I never finished it due to the fact that you have to replay each level with both chars. Feels like an annoying way of extending the game for me... :(

NebraskaDragon

GO BIG,
I thoroughly enjoyed the first area. The second and third seemed like they had less thought and polish put into them. I didn't play past the third. It didn't hold my interest, which kind of stunk because Folklore looking interesting enough that it was the reason I bought a PS3. Now Demon's Souls is the only PS3 game I own.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
It's definately an interesting game but I never finished it due to the fact that you have to replay each level with both chars. Feels like an annoying way of extending the game for me... :(

Ah ha, that must be why I'm at an impasse. I'm at the Judgement Tower with Keats and there's no obvious path. I thought that...to play as Ellen was just a different angle on the story, not a necessity. I guess it's back to the beginning then since I haven't played a single chapter with Ellen.