Footage of Heavyweight Champ (1976) found.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Footage of Sega's Heavyweight Champ has been posted on YT, circa an old 1977 news report on arcades at the time.

For those not aware, its considered to be the very first fighting game and has been lost to time for decades with no surviving cabinets or video footage. The only remnant of its existance is an old promo poster, until now...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Seega.

Neat video.
Yeah, him saying See Gah with such confidence was funny. And interesting to find out Sega had some kind of US presence not only before Nintendo, but before even Space Invaders and Asteroids. I had no idea.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I like the analog video distortion to animate the boxers when hit. Very neat.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The modern day equivalent of an Ancient Greek author only known from quotes in secondary sources.

Kinda neat in that regard.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Fashion Valley, w/ a Miramar NAS sailor on the shooting gallery-love it.

San Diego, stand up!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Yeah, him saying See Gah with such confidence was funny. And interesting to find out Sega had some kind of US presence not only before Nintendo, but before even Space Invaders and Asteroids. I had no idea.
The fella (David Rosen) that headed up SErvice GAmes after the Korean War, was an American Air Force vet. Kinda neat to see this footage from a Navy town’s old arcade.

*my favorite San Diego arcade, is now a poster shop.

RIP Tilt at University Town Center. Met Nightmare Tony there years ago, before either of us had joined the forums.
They had the 8 player SSFII Turbo Tourney Edition set up…and SNK had many a loke test there.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Just noticed there's footage of Qwak in there too, from Atari circa 1974. There's only one or two functional cabinets for that left out of the 250 made, one of which I got to see in person a couple years ago from a guy who was restoring my 6-slot Neo cab and got extremely lucky in picking one up. According to the labels it has resided in Nevada it's whole life since it was shipped.

This is video of that exact machine.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It goes back even before that.

Started out as Standard Games in the 40s making pinballs and slot machines in Hawaii, changed the name to Service Games, which was eventually abbreviated to SEGA. Then moved to Japan and merged with Rosen Enterprises in the 50s to become the more modern version of the company.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The ATARI 2600 boxing was better than that but still cool to see it.I never knew it existed...
Those days of gaming were golden!
BB

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You could have a lot of fun back then with five bucks! That was probably the equivalent of what? Hard to tell with inflation running wild today...but if I could buy penny candies and cookies back then..just imagine what you could buy with five bucks!
I love that old footage..SEE-GAH
wrong pronunciation but as long as you project with authority,it's believable..
The more things change,the more they stay the same....
BB