For the Electric Guitar Players

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What strings do you use?

I've always used Dean's/Slinky because I grew up using them.

Also what type do you use light, extra light blah blah?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've been using Elixir strings for the past 10 years. I love them, and they really do last a long time. I have two guitars, one tuned to standard, and the other tuned to drop B. The standard guitar I keep 8s and 9s on, depending on my mood. However, on the B guitar, I get the thickest possible strings I can get.

If you haven't tried Elixirs, I'd recommend it at least once. They're really quality strings.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Ernie Ball... nylons!

To be honest, I haven't played guitar in about 9 years. I developed ganglial cysts in left wrist about a year into playing. :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've been using Elixir strings for the past 10 years. I love them, and they really do last a long time. I have two guitars, one tuned to standard, and the other tuned to drop B. The standard guitar I keep 8s and 9s on, depending on my mood. However, on the B guitar, I get the thickest possible strings I can get.

If you haven't tried Elixirs, I'd recommend it at least once. They're really quality strings.

I'll give the elixirs a try since I'm way past due for a string change. Fuck, I haven't played my electric in 2 years. WTF happened in 2 years?

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
I like the feel of D'Addario 11s, but I do B tuning (tuned like a 7 string without the high E string). They are nice and slinky and feel great to start with, but I think they wear out and break too easily. I've been playing those for a while now, but maybe I'll try to find something that lasts longer and doesn't cost too much.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Ernie ball, jazz iii picks

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
For a LONG time I used D'Addario 9s, but about 4 or 5 years ago I tried 9g Hybrid Slinkies and never went back. I play in dropped D most of the time so I pretty much have to go with Hybrids if I want to stick with 9 gauges. I haven't tried 10s in years and years. I'd like to try them out see if my fingers don't get shredded and that I can still stretch, but I don't want to widen the string guides on my nut and not be able to go back to 9s if I don't like the 10s.

For picks, I use medium Dunlop Gels. I hate hearing the pick when playing and the gel material pretty much eliminates that. If I have to play fast, I use Jazz IIIs. I also have one of those Jellyfish picks, which doesn't really do anything interesting.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I played D'Addarios for 4 years before I switched to Elixirs. Very solid strings, and I remember driving an extra 35 miles to get them at another store.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i've mostly used ernie ball super slinkys but theyre too thin imo.

my favorite strings were the gibson ones that came on my guitar, i think they were the brite wires.

i forget whats on there now, they could definitely stand to be changed. no one seems to sell gibson strings in stores. might check out the hybrid slinkys.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Got some Dunlop strings as a gift, Zakk Wylde Icon Series 10-13-17-26-36-46

Normally I go for the store brand, or Martin strings for my acoustic.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
D'addario XL in a 10-52 flavor.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I used to use Elixers on my bass when I played live. They were expensive as hell, but awesome strings.

fake

15 Year Member
What is it about Elixers that's so good? Tone? Feel?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
What is it about Elixers that's so good? Tone? Feel?

Durability and longevity matched with quality tone. After a show with regular strings, you can usually hear the tone change because of the wear. With Elixirs you could play 2-3 shows before you'd hear any change in tone quality.

fake

15 Year Member
Durability and longevity matched with quality tone. After a show with regular strings, you can usually hear the tone change because of the wear. With Elixirs you could play 2-3 shows before you'd hear any change in tone quality.

I see. Maybe I'll give them a try.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I remember back in the day there was some big deal about a special coating they have or something. I'm pretty ignorant about that kind of stuff, but the band I was in used to buy them for me from the band fund, so...:)

fake

15 Year Member
I remember back in the day there was some big deal about a special coating they have or something. I'm pretty ignorant about that kind of stuff, but the band I was in used to buy them for me from the band fund, so...:)

Yeah, I think I remember those ads in Guitar World claiming that they were sweat and oil resistant or something.

My guitar teacher actually uses flatwound strings on his hollowbody. They sound awesome.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I used to use D'addario on my guitar. Don't remember which ones but they had a wound 3'd string.
Used ghs boomers on my bass.
Now I get all my strings from http://WWW.webstrings.com
Cheap and I find the quality very good.