Force awaken 97% rotten tomatoes

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Better than I thought it would be but still a disappointment.

So much of this movie's pieces have been done before in the same series. Everything here was a rehash. Movie starts on sand ridden planet check. Important droid picked up by scavengers and found by soon to be jedi, check again. Hey another death star. Oh hey another cantina scene. And there's so many more.

I can handle the convenient plot pop ups to move the story along. But holy fuck could you have ruined the casting of Kylo any worse? He took his mask off and I literally laughed out loud in the theater. What a fucking goober. Force or not, that chump tries to force choke me I'm bitchslapping him. This is the kid of Leia and Han. He should have the grit of Leia and the suave of Han. He had nothing. A gigantic nerd Jew.

The one thing they did do absolutely right, is the technology within the movie. Lucas fucked up the prequels by having the world tech more advanced than what existed in the future. Here things stayed roughly in line with what was in Ep 3-6.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I picked up the novelization on Audible (unabridged) with one of my credits and read it over the weekend.

It's actually a much better version of the story, with some extra scenes for context and better paced.

I understand why the movie abbreviated some of the scenes or cut others out, but I think the real problem with the plot is more the extraneous stuff that was kept in, like Starkiller Base which was absolutely unnecessary to tell this story. It just felt like one plot element too many and it's really the one that needs to go.

I also think the scene with Han and Chewie being cornered by the gangsters on their freighter when the Rathtars get out is a pointless action beat that didn't need to happen. I like that they're still down on their luck after all these years, but they could have saved a lot of time by not having the action beat.

There are still a fuckton of conveniences in there, such as how Rey finds Anakin's lightsaber, that the Falcon just happens to be on Jakuu, that Han and Chewie just happen to be in the area to snatch up the Falcon. That stuff is all still pretty condensed for the convenience of the plot.

There's a real cool event that takes place in the book where the shitty junk monger Rey was dealing with tracks her down to that cantina where she gets the lightsaber and he's about to make her pay for turning down his offer for BB-8 and for stealing the Falcon, but Chewie swoops in and tears off his arm. I understand why it's not in the movie but it was still cool to see a payoff to that famous line from the original Star Wars.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Taiso, I agree with you completely about Kylo Ren. I'm really looking forward to seeing where his characters goes next.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Taiso, I agree with you completely about Kylo Ren. I'm really looking forward to seeing where his characters goes next.

He's gonna turn totally hardkawr from his subsequent training, his eyes will go all Sithy (glowing yellow with red ring around iris).
Less emo, more metal.
I noticed some visual cues taken from Starkillers sith stalker armor as well as Vader; so I wouldn't be surprised if Kylo also gets irretrievably mangled in some way that catalyzes a full transition to the dark side.

Literally almost every scene he appeared in caused this song to pop up in my head.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
The Dark Side is so emo.

I hope Kylo gets a chest piece with wings that says "Strength" or some faggot shit like that.

LMAO that's what I was thinking the whole time after he took that mask off and I saw that pout. Fuck sakes.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Saw this tonight. The start was a little shaky but things got rolling and the writers/director started hitting their stride until...

Spoiler:
Han walks out onto the bridge and gets stabbed through the heart by his wayward son. Fuck you JJ Abrams, you manipulative faget! I have to admit, I teared up a little right at the start when the logo came on the screen and periodically throughout the movie. Now I feel more emo than Kylo Ren :( Overall it was great and I'm excited to see where they'll take the series but goddamn, that was like watching Schindler's List.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
So Benicio Del Toro is signed on for Episode VIII.

Could he be playing Admiral Thrawn?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So Benicio Del Toro is signed on for Episode VIII.

Could he be playing Admiral Thrawn?

Nothing from the novels following Jedi exists anymore. It's all been tossed out.

When are people going to let go of the Expanded Universe? Disney has already stated they aren't using or adapting any of it to the big screen. Why would they adapt an existing story when all that does is burden them with having to tell a story someone else crafted?

Thrawn doesn't exist anymore. The EU doesn't exist anymore. At least, not anything that takes place before TPM or after Jedi. And a lot of the in between stuff has been wiped out too. Even Kyle Katarn no longer exists, since the forthcoming Rogue One movie details how the rebels got the Death Star tapes and it's highly unlikely they'll use a video game character from an old niche series in the film.

The only thing I'm unsure of as it regards canon and the EU is Shadows, which takes place between Empire and Jedi. Not sure what happens with that.

Also, a dataminer discovered that Rey's identity was spoiled in Disney Infinity 3.0.

I'M SPOLIERTAGGING THIS! DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

Spoiler:
When playing Rey and fighting Kylo Ren, one of the lines he says to her during the battle is 'Face me, cousin!'

Rey is confirmed to be Luke's daughter.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
If true, that's pretty much the least surprising spoiler ever. Probably the least interesting explanation too.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
wHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE jAR jAR BINKS SUPREME Dark Lord leader conspiracy theory.
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-see-star-wars-jar-jar#page-2

I liked the movie allright, I actually thought it was a little bit slow myself.
I'd watch it again, I brought my babies they didn't seem to care for it much though.
So I missed out on some spots walking them around
The tech bothered me, they've mastered galaxy travel but use earths 1970's tech?

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If true, that's pretty much the least surprising spoiler ever. Probably the least interesting explanation too.

I actually think there is a lot more going on than just that simple revelation. I think that when they make the reveal, there will be a lot of plot twists that will explain a lot about why things are the way they are with that particular character. I think it's going to be a rather circuitous route to the truth.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally saw it today...fucking loved it. I managed to steer completely clear of all spoilers and glad I did...

I think some people bitch because it's a hobby (err...kinda pointing a finger at myself with that one)...but seriously, VII completely trumps any segment, any part of Ep I-III. After having our beloved franchise completely shit on by Lucas throughout the 90's and into the 2000's with the abysmal "special editions" and the train wreck films of I-III... I don't know how any true, realistic SW fan could say anything about Ep VII other than "About fucking time SW was treated with some respect".

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It really doesn't matter.

anyone who comes in this thread should expect nothing less than to know the whole movie.

I understand all of that but I believe that spoiler tags exist for a reason and i feel that as important as Star Wars is to a significant portion of geek culture, we geeks should try to protect it a bit for each other's sake when we can.