Force awaken 97% rotten tomatoes

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I understand all of that but I believe that spoiler tags exist for a reason and i feel that as important as Star Wars is to a significant portion of geek culture, we geeks should try to protect it a bit for each other's sake when we can.

I'm with Wasabi. I intentionally stopped reading this thread until I had seen the movie. Having to hide entire conversations under a spoiler window would get old.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
klsmShK.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
there's something I can't stomach about jj abrams. no lie, his films turn my stomach a little. there's a point where honoring the past becomes eerie. it is style over substance, and very much feels like uncanny valley. the film was very interesting but much of the time felt like fan fiction. at other tumes the bad use of cg in particular when recreating some alien species, destabilized the aesthetics of the whole thing. it just felt like a frankensteinian experiment, a reanimated corpse dressed up in birthday clothes.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
also:
that death star thing was a stupid fucking piñata
and Darth junior is a very interesting character. adolecsent angst and a side helping of sadism. in my opinion amongst other things, he represents jj himself. trying to fill big boots, often making a mess of things. he's this film's Gladiator antagonist. and one of the many kids who have ever turned up at school guns blazing
Rey is brilliantly cast. best cast character in my recent memory.

Last edited:

DPCameron

n00b
also:
that death star thing was a stupid fucking piñata
and Darth junior is a very interesting character. adolecsent angst and a side helping of sadism. in my opinion amongst other things, he represents jj himself. trying to fill big boots, often making a mess of things. he's this film's Gladiator antagonist. and one of the many kids who have ever turned up at school guns blazing
Rey is brilliantly cast. best cast character in my recent memory.

I completely agree with Rey! As well as Darth Junior, as you so beautifully put it.

The film has its flaws, naturally, but it was so much fun that I'm more than willing to overlook them and say that I love it. I'm so happy that I've finally seen it now and I can read, talk and breath Star Wars again. I completely ignored all trailers, advertising and internet talk. I'm really happy I did.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I completely agree with Rey! As well as Darth Junior, as you so beautifully put it.

The film has its flaws, naturally, but it was so much fun that I'm more than willing to overlook them and say that I love it. I'm so happy that I've finally seen it now and I can read, talk and breath Star Wars again. I completely ignored all trailers, advertising and internet talk. I'm really happy I did.

I think "fun" hits the nail on the head. It is fun...as are Ep IV-VI. Ep I-III are not fun...

This brought back the fun in SW...picking apart fine details is pointless in my opinion. We could be talking about trade negotiations, cardboard acting, horrific love scenes, overuse of CG...you know, massive amounts of "not fun"...

I loved VII...I can't wait for Ep VIII...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
there's something I can't stomach about jj abrams. no lie, his films turn my stomach a little. there's a point where honoring the past becomes eerie. it is style over substance, and very much feels like uncanny valley. the film was very interesting but much of the time felt like fan fiction. at other tumes the bad use of cg in particular when recreating some alien species, destabilized the aesthetics of the whole thing. it just felt like a frankensteinian experiment, a reanimated corpse dressed up in birthday clothes.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this movie. A lot. I also enjoyed the new Terminator film and the latest Bond outing but all of the above are basically cinematic junk food being fed to the hungry. Many people, myself included, are so nostalgic and obsessed with reliving past glories that we have a tendency to overlook flaws and lose all sense of objectivity. Was this new Star Wars flick good? Hell yeah, but come on: any of the original trilogy blows the piss out of it in terms of direction, story-telling, script and just about any other measure. Oh yeah, and the writers have huge balls adding modern wisecracking humor and sight gags like it's a fucking 90s action movie sequel. If I wanted that, I'd go see the latest Marvel outing.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
absolutely. but then the first trilogy was made by veritable ousiders with a thirst for anti establishment tellings. It spoke to the kids directly, provided them with a bible and a road map. now we live in the age of kickstarters and homages. the fiom cannot escape and doesn't try to, it's post modern premise. you can place this film.next to Drive with no effort whatsoever. its cool but it speaks a different, more superficial language. I hope that all made sense, I'm pretty stoned right now.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this movie. A lot. I also enjoyed the new Terminator film and the latest Bond outing but all of the above are basically cinematic junk food being fed to the hungry. Many people, myself included, are so nostalgic and obsessed with reliving past glories that we have a tendency to overlook flaws and lose all sense of objectivity. Was this new Star Wars flick good? Hell yeah, but come on: any of the original trilogy blows the piss out of it in terms of direction, story-telling, script and just about any other measure. Oh yeah, and the writers have huge balls adding modern wisecracking humor and sight gags like it's a fucking 90s action movie sequel. If I wanted that, I'd go see the latest Marvel outing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Oh yeah, and the writers have huge balls adding modern wisecracking humor and sight gags like it's a fucking 90s action movie sequel. If I wanted that, I'd go see the latest Marvel outing.

But hold on a second…even the original trilogy was "modern wisecracking humor and sight gags"…

The thing was…few of us were adult early enough to know it. I was born in 1977…the modern slang of the time escaped me when I was 12…but it doesn't any longer.

There's plenty of "I don't need you revolution, man"…1960's era hippy shit in the original film and much of the dialog was of modern speech at the time. VII struck me as being just as "current modern" as IV-VI were for their times...

And seriously…

VII was right there with IV-VI…and I mean RIGHT THERE. Not better, not worse…but those thinking the OT was some sort of masterpiece has some seriously rose colored glasses.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
OK, Jedi I'll give you, but not Empire or Star Wars, man ;)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll say it again…I had fun watching this film…good, honest, Star Wars universe fun. Fun I haven't had in decades. I despise I-III…save a very few times where they had tiny decent scenes…they were total shit. For me to despise them like I do…then actually have fun watching VII…it has to mean something. I sat through I-III when they were new…each time hoping that things would turn around, but it never did. Each time I left feeling like I had just wasted 2 hours of my life.

VII didn't make me feel this way. Were there some cheesy lines? How about some questionable storytelling? Sure…but none of that took away form the film in such a way as to wreck it for me. IV-VI have their fair share of plot holes, silly dialog, over the top action and even some completely stupid shit…but in the end, they're still fun to watch. VII was the same way for me.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Thoughts? Think this star wars movie will actually live up to the hype?
The original trilogy (including Return of the Jedi) are definitely better than The Force Awakens.
Whether Episode VII is even better than the prequel episodes is debatable, IMO. At least those had some genuine emotional scenes (and some of the better actors, like Alec Guiness and Ian McDiarmid). All the emotional scenes in Episode VII seem forced. I don't agree with the decision to have J. J. Abrams direct, even though he was successful with the first Star Trek reboot. I like the way he avoided using too much CGI (and filmed it on 35mm film), though. Some of the space scenes looked good on the big screen, in 3D. I thought that Han Solo died in Episode VII, but apparently he is going to return in Episode VIII.
From what I have read, the real reason the original trilogy was so good was that Lucas' wife (Marcia Lucas) did the editing (including on the death star attack scene in Episode 4). Perhaps now that Disney is running the show, they could hire her to edit the next two films.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Han Solo should stay dead. Harrison Ford needs to retire, he's basically a zombie at this point.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I seriously doubt he will be back in Ep. 8.

The only way I can see it is if they have some sort of flashback showing Ben's fall to the dark side…and that's a stretch. Harrison Ford is D-O-N-E with Star Wars (and has been for some time). Truth be told, I'm actually surprised he had such a large part in VII.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
i get the issues related to the tech but if you think about it.. the story was made back in the 70s and since its a fantasy film a la LOTRs, that world has that aesthetic knd f permanently. its just an odd thing to happen, but what way is there around it. this is not like Tim Burton recreating neo gothic, there's I think, a practical reason why it looks and plays out the way it does.
the script was probably written with a 70s spectator in mind to great extent. its innocent and dramatic. and plus the jedi story is like the telling of a religious biblical event. so it was god in the machine all along.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
He's gonna turn totally hardkawr from his subsequent training, his eyes will go all Sithy (glowing yellow with red ring around iris).
Less emo, more metal.
I noticed some visual cues taken from Starkillers sith stalker armor as well as Vader; so I wouldn't be surprised if Kylo also gets irretrievably mangled in some way that catalyzes a full transition to the dark side.

Literally almost every scene he appeared in caused this song to pop up in my head.

HAHA.

This song fits pretty well too...

Rylo Ken has white people problems.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
There's a lot of sour queef stink in this thread. The movie was good. Be happy about it.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Just say you're remaking the original from 77, it's basically the same movie.

Really disappointed.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Rylo Ken has white people problems.

Lol. I like what they did with his character. I like how he's nothing like what people expected. He's got some depth to him, for sure. And he's totally a metaphor for mellenial fuck-wads.

FB_IMG_1450924597444.jpg

And totally check out Emo Kylo Ren's twitter. That shit is golden.