FOUND: Candy near Ohio

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
Got a cab from a local buddy, thanks everyone!

I've been thinking about adding one more cab, and possibly offloading some of my console stuff (Saturn & Dreamcast games, primarily) to free up cash/room. Is anyone considering selling (or trading) anything near Ohio in the foreseeable future?

Ideally, I'd probably like something common, standard res, with 1p panels readily available. Maybe an Astro/NAC, but would be open to just about anything! Please ping me if you've got a cab that might be of interest. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
I see there's a Group Buy happening in NC on Facebook. Cabs seem to all be $1200, though, plus shipping. Is that the going rate for unknown-condition Astros these days?

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I see there's a Group Buy happening in NC on Facebook. Cabs seem to all be $1200, though, plus shipping. Is that the going rate for unknown-condition Astros these days?

that price is really high, especially for a group buy. I just ordered 2 astro city's from Yaton and they were 600 per cab. Shipping to my door was 1100 so got both for 2300 to my door. Have not recieved the cabs yet though as I just ordered them about 3 weeks ago. I will be sure to let you know my impressions when I get them.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
340   0   0
that price is really high, especially for a group buy. I just ordered 2 astro city's from Yaton and they were 600 per cab. Shipping to my door was 1100 so got both for 2300 to my door. Have not recieved the cabs yet though as I just ordered them about 3 weeks ago. I will be sure to let you know my impressions when I get them.

I hope you are well stocked on cleaning supplies ;)

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0

Hope you have a better experience than I did with my yaton buy.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Hope you have a better experience than I did with my yaton buy.

I know its a gamble and a few people have cautioned me in dealing with Yaton. The fact of the matter is that Candy's are absolutely impossible to find in my area. After searching for 8 years and never seeing a single candy for sale in my area, I just got tired of waiting. So I took a gamble with Yaton knowing full well what I was getting into. I will be sure to make a detailed post of the whole experience if / when I receive the cabs.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
I'll be curious to see what those look like as well! For a while I was thinking I wanted a smaller cab, and considered one of Yaton's Namco Consolette 19s (IIRC - it was some oddball cab with a blue/green monitor shroud.) Decided I didn't want to dick around with unobtainium parts

At least that price is pretty decent - $1100ish a cab (delivered) seems good these days. I just hope you end up with decent monitors

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I'll be curious to see what those look like as well! For a while I was thinking I wanted a smaller cab, and considered one of Yaton's Namco Consolette 19s (IIRC - it was some oddball cab with a blue/green monitor shroud.) Decided I didn't want to dick around with unobtainium parts

At least that price is pretty decent - $1100ish a cab (delivered) seems good these days. I just hope you end up with decent monitors

yeah the price is ok and I too am just hoping for good monitors, Everything else is easily replaceable / fixable. Its really hard to tell in a pic if the monitors have burn or not. I mainly just want them to be good bright tubes im ok with minor burn so long as its minor like credit burn or something.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I know its a gamble and a few people have cautioned me in dealing with Yaton. The fact of the matter is that Candy's are absolutely impossible to find in my area. After searching for 8 years and never seeing a single candy for sale in my area, I just got tired of waiting. So I took a gamble with Yaton knowing full well what I was getting into. I will be sure to make a detailed post of the whole experience if / when I receive the cabs.

With our group order- we were shown working cabs but when got them, most were not working, filled with mold, mildew, ect. The mold/mildew can be tackled with some elbow grease but a lot of them had non working parts, many that are hard to find, repair, and/or no schematics.

One guy did a container from yaton and yaton never sent it. He had to go through his card to get his money back. Hopefully you don’t have that experience, I’m hoping that you get your cabs and all they need is some cleaning.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
yeah the price is ok and I too am just hoping for good monitors, Everything else is easily replaceable / fixable. Its really hard to tell in a pic if the monitors have burn or not. I mainly just want them to be good bright tubes im ok with minor burn so long as its minor like credit burn or something.

Just give up on monitors.

I know it's blasphemous at this point to say that but you're getting to the beginning of the end for monitors. You can waste mountains of cash on this shit or just get a 32'' lcd w/ upscaler and do a little work yourself.

I'm an original hardware collector as hard as anyone here. Even I'm turning on the stuff. I made sure I updated my remaining CRTs as much as I could. With my use, they'll still look nice long after I'm dead.

I got burned with CRTs a few years ago, it's a huge fucking crapshoot now with anything.

They're games. Live with the nuances of updated technology.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
With our group order- we were shown working cabs but when got them, most were not working, filled with mold, mildew, ect. The mold/mildew can be tackled with some elbow grease but a lot of them had non working parts, many that are hard to find, repair, and/or no schematics.

One guy did a container from yaton and yaton never sent it. He had to go through his card to get his money back. Hopefully you don’t have that experience, I’m hoping that you get your cabs and all they need is some cleaning.

thanks for the input. I have been warned several times about Yaton being shady. I covered my bases and it should not be a problem to get my money back if things go awry. He sent me pics of the cabs and let me pick the ones I wanted. I have several pics of each cab and will easily be able to tell if he pulled the old switcheroo. As stated in a previous post I will post a full review of my dealings with him and the cabs if / when I receive them.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Just give up on monitors.

I know it's blasphemous at this point to say that but you're getting to the beginning of the end for monitors. You can waste mountains of cash on this shit or just get a 32'' lcd w/ upscaler and do a little work yourself.

I'm an original hardware collector as hard as anyone here. Even I'm turning on the stuff. I made sure I updated my remaining CRTs as much as I could. With my use, they'll still look nice long after I'm dead.

I got burned with CRTs a few years ago, it's a huge fucking crapshoot now with anything.

They're games. Live with the nuances of updated technology.

I absolutely hate LCD monitors. I will do whatever it takes to keep my CRT monitors going. When they day comes that CRT's cease to work or be repaired I will have quit gaming or be dead. That might sound extreme, but im crazy so.....

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I absolutely hate LCD monitors. I will do whatever it takes to keep my CRT monitors going. When they day comes that CRT's cease to work or be repaired I will have quit gaming or be dead. That might sound extreme, but im crazy so.....

I absolutely love CRTs and they just feel "right" in a cabinet, but arcade monitors are just such a ballache and filled with compromises that I'm kinda at the end of my rope on them as well. I'll maintain my Neo's k7000 as long as I can but I've given up on the idea of ever getting a flyback for my blast's 2931, and I don't like the idea of buying a replacement chassis for something I still couldn't repair, which WILL break eventually. Everything breaks. Even when they're working, you have to deal with burn-in, convergence and size issues that crop up and trying to dial in a "perfect" image will just lead you to madness. These things are old, and they were abused.

I respect the line in the sand, but I think you should prepare yourself to "settle" with whatever you get that's working. Worst case scenario, you can get one of the new batches of Weiya flat tri-sync CRTs for around $650 + shipping. I'm personally just gonna toss a consumer CRT into my Blast city to play on, until I either stumble on a great deal locally for a suitable monitor swap or I say fuck it all and vacuum form a 16:9 bezel for the cab. The latter will probably be the only option in another 10 years.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I wonder how many pizza bagel bites Yaton needed to eat in order to package 2 cabs. Lol

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
Is the Matt Cloer guy in NC the same as KC? Cuz he's doing a container sale (which I think I mistakenly referred to as a group buy here earlier)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
No, Matt is Matt.

His last buy went great. I would get on FB and hit him up, 2nd buy is ramping up now.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
In the case of KC, it is best if you can be there in person and choose.
I live local and chose a noir, a week later he brought it to my place of residence and he ended up bringing one in worse shape and had completely different buttons. I told him "either bring me the fucking cab i asked for or I will keep the money and go somewhere else". He showed up 3 hours later with a much nicer cab. He seems to think he is smarter than most people. Tread carefully.

Last edited: