FS: F3 TAITO REGION MODDING

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
i really dont know how much this service is worth shipped in the usa. 50 shipped?

i got very handy modding the few i've done.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
I assume this is for the nubs? I don't think you can clear $50 in it. With the right dremel bit it's pretty painless, though it can take a little (tedious) time. Also, with cost of shipping to you and back - that's an easy $25 for both ways (these are large / heavy).

If you want to do it - what I would do is buy them in bulk at ($50~ or so), mod them in bulk, sell them at $75 shipped. You won't retire, but you'll make a few bucks for your time and I do think there is a market for them.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
If you can find out for sure if Darksoft is going to tackle a F3 multi-cart after the CPS2 one is complete, then there will surely be a demand for motherboards. And having them already region-modded would help add to their versatility if someone wanted to run an actual cart.

though it can take a little (tedious) time.

I tried filing one down by hand with some thin files and then tried a soldiering iron to melt it and gave up after a while. It really is quite tedious. >_>

That said, I did eventually finish... it just took me a lot of steps. Soldering iron for some bits, hot knife for shaving, one of those small Kobalt files to even things up, and when I had had enough, I took a thin dremal tip and tried to get any bits I missed...and filed away again. My god, it's soooo boring.

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
i dont have the capital to buy anything in bulk yet. so i would receive the board mod it and ship it back in a few days. just looking for some cash for a few things like another naomi dc adapter. stuff like that.

I assume this is for the nubs? I don't think you can clear $50 in it. With the right dremel bit it's pretty painless, though it can take a little (tedious) time. Also, with cost of shipping to you and back - that's an easy $25 for both ways (these are large / heavy).

If you want to do it - what I would do is buy them in bulk at ($50~ or so), mod them in bulk, sell them at $75 shipped. You won't retire, but you'll make a few bucks for your time and I do think there is a market for them.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
i dont have the capital to buy anything in bulk yet. so i would receive the board mod it and ship it back in a few days. just looking for some cash for a few things like another naomi dc adapter. stuff like that.

I understand that - maybe you could post an IC thread though to raise the capital - interested buyers pay in advance? If there's enough interest I can help coordinate the shipping and purchase (I think).

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Ahhh, modding the board to accept carts from any region.

I've found the best way to cut off the plastic nubs is with a sharp blade on a solder iron. Makes fairly quick work of it.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
$50 shipped to cut two tiny tabs on the connectors? That's steep. Compare that to other console mods where some installers charge $50 for an entire NES RGB installation, albeit not shipped. A similar mod is people charging $10-15 for the ridiculously easy SNES 'region mod' (lol) where you just cut/file the tabs down. Asking $50 shipped for something this simple is pretty steep.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
$50 shipped to cut two tiny tabs on the connectors? That's steep. Compare that to other console mods where some installers charge $50 for an entire NES RGB installation, albeit not shipped. A similar mod is people charging $10-15 for the ridiculously easy SNES 'region mod' (lol) where you just cut/file the tabs down. Asking $50 shipped for something this simple is pretty steep.

Have you tried modding an F3 board? It's nowhere near as easy as a SNES.

Pasky

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Have you tried modding an F3 board? It's nowhere near as easy as a SNES.

No I haven't, but looking at the page Undamnned linked it can't be anymore difficult than un-keying a IDE cable slot. Considering people suggest melting the tabs off with a soldering iron, I don't see it being anymore difficult unless there is more involved than what's shown there.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
No I haven't, but looking at the page Undamnned linked it can't be anymore difficult than un-keying a IDE cable slot. Considering people suggest melting the tabs off with a soldering iron, I don't see it being anymore difficult unless there is more involved than what's shown there.

Melting it isn't so easy, the pins are surrounded by the plastic. That's the hardest part. I did one and will never do it again.

Pasky

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Well it's all about having the right tools, with a proper soldering station you can get the heat up easily and a pair of jewelers tweezers and/or Xact-o knife to pull up the plastic as it's melted.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Yeah, and you can buy bladed tips for soldering irons too, or make your own.

It's a big pain in the ass, especially because for me I'm always worried about applying too much heat or physical pressure and damaging one of the pins by accident. It's a lot tighter space in there than you might expect, and it's not as simple as snapping off a little tab like in the SNES. Still, totally doable with some patience.

(I know I'd rather pay someone a few bucks to do it than to go through the song and dance myself again)

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
I'm in the boat w/KP. I've done one - with the right tools, and will never do it again. It is tedious. I don't know anyone who has offered the service before. It's already been said that $50 is too high and it's been pointed out that shipping to and from would make it a non-cost effective mod; hence the idea to sell direct; pre-modded, if there is interest. $30 is about right imo for 30-45 mins of attentive fine motor skill work. Obviously if there isn't interest then there isn't interest - that will be determined.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Yeah, never region modding one of these boards again. So much work to get rid of 8 somethings so small.

That said, I'd definitely buy a region modded Taito F3 motherboard if you happen to get a group buy going.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
its a pain in the ass to removed these 8 tabs. im willing to do the work. hopefully we can get a group buy and i can do these for a while.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
If you do get a group buy going, I would be interested in the 75ish range that Mike was proposing