FS: SEGA MEGA CD MODEL 1 - BOXED - NEEDS NEW LASER

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I dont have the time to fix this Sega Mega CD Model 1 so someone else can have the pleasure! :)

The Good:

Boxed Mega CD Model 1 complete with all inserts, original manual (with matching serial no.), original PSU, and the mounting plate (no screw tho).
Has a socketed BIOS - so this will be super easy for someone to convert to a universal Mega CD that will play all regions - just plug and play!
Powers on and attract mode working.
Responds to controller so you can access the main menu screen no problem.
Tray opens and closes - have already replaced the drive belt.
Cosmetically in very good condition overall.

The Bad:

Afaik the only fault is the CD Laser mech - upon start up you get a horrible clicking noise from the CD mech as it try's to find its place - so the CD limiter switch may need some work.
Does not recognize CDs of any kind.
Because it won't read discs the tray will open and close of its own accord.

This should be a straight forward repair for anyone who knows what they're doing. I don't have the time, I have a working Model 1 that I'm already using... and I have a Wondermega... so I really don't need a third Sega CD.

These things are starting to go for crazy money nowadays, like $500+ on eBay, and I sold a totally fucked unit last summer, loose, for £100 within 10 minutes of listing it for sale! :loco:

So, asking £150 + shipping for this before I throw it to fleabay where it'll probably get repaired and flipped.

I'll post some photos up shortly :)

Ghaleon

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow nice!

Do you know if the caps have been replaced? Just curious as I know it's something they eventually need or they leak. I really need to do mine, lol.

I would be curious what you'd let the box go for, but I'm sure you want to sell it all together. ;)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
PICS:

52714290563_e0a246dbb7.jpg

52713815891_2c4cda3f15.jpg

52714291703_cddf94e80a.jpg

52713816211_4a66d00bf9.jpg

52714076499_0e36d9799b.jpg

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I believe I had the caps replaced or they were done before I bought it, but worth double checking them.

In my expereince if the caps haven't already been changed the unit's are DOA, or will display faults with the attract mode.

Ghaleon

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine I'm pretty sure haven't been replaced and it's still kicking, interestingly (bought it from a friend who'd not know to do this). Works great but I shelved it when I learned about the cap situation a year or so ago.

Also in case it's helpful to anyone, there are cartridges you can buy to play other region CD games if you don't want to mess with the bios chip. I have an old old one called a Mega Cart

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Those unlock carts are quite expensive nowadays, I looked at getting one myself, and unless I was going to start spending heavily on Mega CD games it just wasn't worth it to me.

The universal bios chips are like $10 on eBay and take minutes to fit if you know what you're doing. I'd rather have the built in chip than mess around with additional carts, but that's just me!!