Game Concept I'm working on (length warning)

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I actually got this entire idea from the FiM thread in the midst of saying, "it wouldn't matter to me if the ponies were replaced with something else" and I listed football players.

Later that night, I thought to myself, "Y'know.. there hasn't ever been an over-the-top football FIGHTING game... I think I should make that!" So I made an outline and started the engine coding as well as a few animations.

So what do you guys think of this:

"Football Face-Smashers" Concept Outline

2D fighting game
8-16 teams
zoom in/out to cover full distance between players (similar to Art of Fighting 1)
low damage to extend match times
One player on the team at a time
Soundtrack comprised of deep bass trance and Metal.

-Two players on the field at one time
-Two battle modes
*Offense Mode: Player holds the ball, has increase in damage ouput
*Defense Mode: Player runs faster, can use grapple attacks due to having free hands
-Teams have team specific special attacks (ex: Texas Rowdy Rangers have lassos to pull retreating players closer) as well as each player holding individual stats:

POW - Determines Base DMG
TUFF - Determines Damage Mod
SPD - How fast the Player Moves
LIFE - How much base HP Team Has

-Matches are played as best 3 out of 5

A win is achieved by the following:

*At any point a players health bar depletes to 0HP, the opposing player will be given the match
*In the Event the Offense Mode player reaches their inzone, they perform a Touchdown Finisher which is instant death to the player
--example: The playtest finisher I have in motion is the player jumping onto the opponents shoulder with their spiked cleats, doing a backflip off them, and spiking the ball through the opponents helmet and face having the ball come out the other side with smoke coming off it.
*The Timer for the Quarter Reaches 0:00. When this occurs, the Player with the most HP wins the Quarter

-General Gameplay Concepts-
*Before the Quarter begins, players select which team member they wish to take the field
*Offense mode is achieved by holding the ball. At the start of a quarter, the ball is set at the 50yd line and players rush to the ball. This is the only time both players will be in Defense Mode. Neither player takes damage, nor does the timer for the quarter start until a player has posession of the ball. This time can also be used to set controls or to see how your team member handles.
*Using a grapple attack causes the Offense Mode player to "fumble" the ball, and the grapple user obtains it, causing the players to immediately switch positions
*In the event of a Safety, the Ball explodes. The holding player takes a fair amount of damage and the shockwave knocks the defending player back to their inzone. At the point, a new ball is planted on the 50, and the timer freeze and damage pause return into effect until a player obtains control of the ball. In addition, the player who was holding the ball has a very brief stun from the explosion impact to deepen the penalty.
*If the player in Offense Mode chooses to throw the ball away to prevent a Safety Explosion, they can hurl the ball at the opponents face which will cause the ball to envelope into flames, transforming it briefly into a "Fireball" and do minor damage to the opponent in Defense Mode. After taking damage, the player will be knocked backed 15 yards and will be switched to Offense Mode. The player throwing the ball will have a brief stun to "catch their breath" preventing immediate grapples after throwing the ball to the opponent.
*In the Event of a 2/2 score, the overtime round starts. Players do triple damage and have a triple speed modifier. The timer is removed and the first person to obtain a touchdown or to deplete their opponents life to 0HP becomes the match winner.

Tenative Team Names

The Baltimore Pegasus
The Jersey Demons
The Carolina Cherokees
The Texas Rowdy Rangers

Other names/unconfirmed:

The Louisiana Ligers
The Las Vegas Legends
The Minnesota Tyrants
The San Diego Dragoons
The New York

Anythings I can add to improve the game or any constructive criticism is welcomed.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I see you put a lot of thought into this.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Sounds like World Heroes 2 with Johnny Maximum vs. Johnny Maximum in deathmatch mode.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
This made me think of LT snapping Joe Thiessmans femur "career fatality"

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The concept/stipulations seem too gimmick heavy for this to be considered a true fighting game. There is a ball? Maybe, a Power Stone rip-off with a football gimmick would be a better vehicle for your ideas.

Maybe I don't fully understand your ideas. Maybe this thread is a joke.

Anyways, how about the Atlanta Hard-Spirits?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
We all know he's not going to do anything with it. Remember when he decided to make a Mega Man game on the Neo Geo hardware? Yeah...

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Would have been neat to see this done this with the Eyeshield 21 characters.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
We all know he's not going to do anything with it. Remember when he decided to make a Mega Man game on the Neo Geo hardware? Yeah...

300703_179588905447732_7536104_n.jpg

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Shit, the OP isn't that long.

And I'd totally play the Ligers. Why isn't there a real sports team with a Liger as its mascot?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

lol he's way too big you windbag and one screen doesn't prove shit, neo pool masters anyone?
also why is the right "credits" so blurry but the one on the left isn't? the "level-4" is blurry too, l2photoshop.

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Needs more robots like Cyberball, then you could use teams like the California CyberBots and the Tampa Bay Terminators.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
lol he's way too big you windbag

I know, I also had issues with getting the damage ratios right, as well as the controls were just.. bad.. with just four buttons so I scrapped it to work on this. I ended up scrapping it and starting on another project before I ended up going ADD and starting on this:

I only got like a third of the way porting this one too because other projects came up (that actually paid) :(

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Needs more robots like Cyberball, then you could use teams like the California CyberBots and the Tampa Bay Terminators.

I do like that idea, but I kinda feel like there's been a bit too much as far as fighting robots go; but what I could do later down the road is say an input code that changes the sprite sheets and "turn" the players into robots with alternate team names?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I only got like a third of the way porting this one too because other projects came up (that actually paid) :(

Can you re-title this Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and put in a pallet swapped green ranger? I'm pretty anti Neo Geo homebrew, but I'd be all over this if the afforementioned criteria was met.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I love the japlish team names and I thought the idea was surprisingly good...not good enough for a serious fighting game but more like a fun DLC party game for shits and giggles.

No chance of you ever pulling it off on your own, but what the hell; SNKP America is right here in Wall, NJ...mail them your idea and see if someone else could put some wheels on it.