Game & Watch™: The Legend of Zelda™

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Nintendo release a new "Game & Watch" Handheld system.
Available November 12

PTqgPp9.png

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I will have to get THAT one.

Been busy with my AV Famicom lately ;)

20210609_165709.jpg

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i dont play the mario one all that much, but it is my default desk clock. it's great to watch while im zoning out during a meeting.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Already preordered. I wonder why they chose the old version of Link's Awakening instead of the GBC one though?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed the Mario one but I never gave a crap about 8-bit Zelda so I’ll pass. Let me know when the Wind Waker Game & Watch comes out.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Really? Man, Zelda 1 is a classic to me. I got the SMB handheld and it was fine for a bit - but this one.. this one I gotta get.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I found Zelda to be very bland and boring. Someone I played D&D with in like 1991 sat me down and showed me the game, since he knew it by heart. It didn’t click with me though. The graphics just suck, even compared to other NES games. The action is weak, and I don’t give a shit about a Triforce. I guess the issue is probably that I had already played a lot of RPGs on DOS, Mac, Amiga, C64, etc. Spoiled!

When the SNES one came out I guess I fell for it. Every screen didn’t look identical. That and the transparencies and the frumph frumph sounds and all that. I liked Link’s Awakening a lot more and the DX version as well. The N64 sucks so screw those ones. Wind Waker was super entertaining to me. I actually like the sailing thing everyone else bitched about. I’ve never finished any of the newer ones, they always end up boring me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I actually enjoyed "Cel-da" lol. I was a detractor at first, but yeah - WW played great. I also liked Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword was poop with corn and peanuts basically because of the wand controls, and it was a fetchquest simulator.

I also was meh with Breath of the Wild. Is it cool? Hell yeah. Does it have that incredible exploration aspect? You betcha. Does it have dungeons? Nope. Just 4 glorified vestibules that are all exactly the same. And tbh I just hated the shrines.

Im hoping BOTW2 is more in line with Twilight Princess and older Zeldas, but with that same raddddd open world/exploration bit.

edit: Oh and fuck weapon breaking in the ass.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I just went through Zelda II again. Mostly because i haven't touched it since the original release. I like it a little more and a little less. It definitely made for more tactical combat, especially for a NES game. Something lacking in LttP. The overworld and towns could have been cool, but the map is just tiny. The story just isn't there either. I guess that was most NES games, but characters never really say more than a sentence. You can finish it in just a few hours if you know where to go as well. The music is great tho. I'm surprised they don't recycle this more in modern zelda's.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Already preordered. I wonder why they chose the old version of Link's Awakening instead of the GBC one though?
My guess is probably because a lot of the features, mainly the ones involving the Gameboy Printer, couldn't be fully implemented. Honestly, I prefer the original. Had it had the dungeon where you could get the different colored Tunics, it would be perfect.

Jon

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What other features are there besides the printer support? (which they already did away with on the 3DS VC release)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I also was meh with Breath of the Wild. Is it cool? Hell yeah. Does it have that incredible exploration aspect? You betcha. Does it have dungeons? Nope. Just 4 glorified vestibules that are all exactly the same. And tbh I just hated the shrines.

edit: Oh and fuck weapon breaking in the ass.

I can't understand the massive love for BOTW. It's got the same problem as other open world games, it's a big open world with next to nothing to do. Zero dungeons is right. It's barely like the original Legend of Zelda, which had a whopping 9 dungeons. It even had 9 more on the second quest. BOTW is half a game by comparison. And yes, weapon breaking and food cooking is bullshit.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
in hindsight, i can agree the shrines needed to be less puzzle and more combat. Or combat with only light puzzle....Similar to Skyrim dungeons. I never hesitated to jump into a Skyrim cave, but sometimes i didn't really feel like doing a botw brain teaser.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
well it sounds like you are the problem....

Me too then, I guess, as I can’t stand that stuff. Zelda should never be compared to full on time vampire stuff like Skyrim. This is light and easy stuff for 12 year olds who still have homework to keep up with.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I don’t know what a Sega widow is but the N64 sucked. Everyone knows this except kids who were 10 when it came out and never grew up.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Me too then, I guess, as I can’t stand that stuff. Zelda should never be compared to full on time vampire stuff like Skyrim. This is light and easy stuff for 12 year olds who still have homework to keep up with.

this doesnt apply to you then. because we were talking about zelda and skyrim together.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
What an absolute piece of shit.

It's a crime that the Mario one didn't ship with every single Nintendo NES and SNES game. It's just some shitty ARM SOC.

Anyone who buys this is a rube.