Gameboy or GBC "hidden gems"?

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Thanks, I ended up ordering from Castlemania Games with some other stuff, but had them send it to my US forwarding address.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The Takara ports of KOF'95 and '96. I promise you will enjoy them.
All the Takara fighters are worth owning, the KOFs are excellent on SGB as well with added SFX

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
The Takara ports of KOF'95 and '96. I promise you will enjoy them.
95 came out in English here and 96 was released in Europe.

Yeah, Takara also did World Heroes 2 Jet, Battle Arena Toshinden, Samurai Showdown.

Looking through the Nettou games, they also did Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Spirits 3, in addition to the Real Bout game. All Japan only, though.

Jon

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Been playing Links Awakening (GBC) edition. Not a hidden gem by any stretch of the word, but i am surprised by how much detail and finesse it still has compared to some of those retro styled indie games on switch. Controls are smooth, responsive, and the item switching isn't quite as bad once you get used to it. Playing it on a IPS GBA has been awesome, and it makes me want to check some of the titles listed here for fun

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Semi-related to this topic: really good deal spotted on Rolan's Curse 2 tonight. I already have, but someone needs to snipe this shit

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
James Bond 007. Yeah, I remember someone at EGM scored it a 1.5, which was unheard of. I got it for Christmas and was very surprised how much I liked it. Played it again for the first time in 20+ years a couple months ago and, again, was pleasantly surprised at how much I still like it. It's basically Zelda with a James Bond theme. Honestly, I prefer it over Zelda. It's a mystery to me why EGM blasted it.

In the Kurdistan area, you kill a local warlord to rescue 008. Later in the game, you come back to Kurdistan to find the power vacuum has made the area a war zone and the villagers hate you. The story is legit for a Game Boy game.

I'm with you on rarely playing licensed games, but check out The Flintstones. It's an Ocean game based on the movie. It's not terrible and worth playing. It has minigames based on Space Invaders and some other early arcade games I can't recall. The feel of the physics, like Fred running and jumping, is good. The levels are too long so I usually stop after 20 minutes, but worth a play.
@max 330 mega
Play James Bond 007.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
@max 330 mega
Play James Bond 007.
Would literally have never considered it until I previously read your post about it. Once my everdrive gets here from wartorn ukraine its on my list, as are all of pixeljunkie’s recommendations. Hope to eventually be well enough versed in GB to actually contribute to this thread. Didnt realize until i built this gameboy how very little of the GB library i have ever played.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Also hopped in at the very very last second on the repress copy of avenging spirit before i had to pay double for it in ebay.
What a fucking awesome and original game idea.
Fuck yes. I love this thread.

This is (pretty sure) GBC only, but maybe not since it's made in GB Studio. But it looks badass. Spiritual sequel to Metroid 2.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Fuck yes. I love this thread.

This is (pretty sure) GBC only, but maybe not since it's made in GB Studio. But it looks badass. Spiritual sequel to Metroid 2.

Im building my gbc this weekend. Will post pics. Its using the brand new XL laminated 2.5D screen. No idea if its gonna be a toggle option or what, but i was intrigued.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Im building my gbc this weekend. Will post pics. Its using the brand new XL laminated 2.5D screen. No idea if its gonna be a toggle option or what, but i was intrigued.
I have one of those too. They'll honestly spoil you they're so good. I still like to divide my GB/GBC to respective systems. But the laminated GBC screens are 100% tits.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I have one of those too. They'll honestly spoil you they're so good. I still like to divide my GB/GBC to respective systems. But the laminated GBC screens are 100% tits.
Fuck yeah, my plan is to just load the everdrive up and use each system for its respective titles. Preordered thats Hime’s quest game from crunchy roll directly so that i wasn’t supporting lrg, and will be excited to have a dedicated gbc game for the console eventually. Daedeus or however the fuck you spell it looks like an interesting new title for GB as well. I can’t imagine it having much replay value, but ill still give it a once through if i can find a rom of it hopefully.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Reminds me, i need to finish it.

Also, I hope one of you homos bought that Rolans Curse 2, 90 bucks is a steal.
I have it CIB. Bought it years ago, definitely less than $90. I guess $90 loose is a deal now, though.

I need to get Rolan's Curse 1 again. Had a sealed copy I sold to a collector for $1k and complete, nice condition, copies are about that now.

Anyone attempting to buy Gameboy today better have deep pockets. Gameboy is red hot right now.

Jon

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've posted this one before but worth another mention in this thread- Money Idol Exchanger has a Game Boy port that is really good

Yes. Surprisingly competent port. Tetris Plus also is shockingly good.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
With my fun money for this paycheck i grabbed the homebrew Wing Warriors. Shit looks ridiculously good, ill report back with what i think about it.
Also lowballed a junk seller on ebay for a complete copy of motocross maniacs for GB and they accepted so ill get to try that out as well. I know it was mentioned that the sequel is better, but why not start with the first for now since it was cheap :D

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
With my fun money for this paycheck i grabbed the homebrew Wing Warriors. Shit looks ridiculously good, ill report back with what i think about it.
Also lowballed a junk seller on ebay for a complete copy of motocross maniacs for GB and they accepted so ill get to try that out as well. I know it was mentioned that the sequel is better, but why not start with the first for now since it was cheap :D

So, first off...please report back about Wing Warriors, I have hovered over the buy now button on that one for awhile.

Second, the first Motocross Maniacs is GREAT. I do think the GBC sequel is even better, but for the GB, it's stellar.