GameCube component cables WTF?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Asking about these for my friend, is there a way to fab up custom Gamecube component cables? Jesus the "official" ones are stupid expensive. Has to be some alternative instead of spending over a hundred on these.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It's for one of my good buddies he's a member here as well. Why are they this expensive? I don't know jack about the G.C. never even played one, just though I would ask.

OK, so tell him to buy a Wii. Only reason to have a Gamecube + component cables anymore is if you want to play the Game Boy Player over component.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Cool guys, I just let him know of this thread thanks for the info. I don't know shit about the G.C. never even seen one for that matter.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Well I was meaning in person and actually played it but never had a friend close by or anyone that had one to try out.

8331fec640216afc26ca824136b6397a.gif

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If you own a gamecube with a shit load of games then the component cables are a must. They are super expensive but video looks fantastic when you are playing especially on a hdtv. I don't what the gamecube/wii compatibility is but I know I just tried a sega soccer slam on my wii and it kept pushing the disc out.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you own a gamecube with a shit load of games then the component cables are a must. They are super expensive but video looks fantastic when you are playing especially on a hdtv. I don't what the gamecube/wii compatibility is but I know I just tried a sega soccer slam on my wii and it kept pushing the disc out.

It's 100℅ compatible. I even have Sega Soccer Slam and it plays perfectly fine. Unless you want to play gba in component...it's pointless to spend the cash.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Wii is 100% hardware compatible with Gamecube. Wii is essentially just a Gamecube with better/more RAM and an overclocked CPU+GPU.

And the Wii U CPU is literally three Wii CPUs on one die.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
It's 100℅ compatible. I even have Sega Soccer Slam and it plays perfectly fine. Unless you want to play gba in component...it's pointless to spend the cash.

I've been playing GBA in component for years... on my Wii :keke:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Ok wow, I didn't know all this about the GC and the Wii would play its games. That is his only option, I never had another Nintendo system since the SNES & N64 so I didn't know anything about the GC nor really cared to. So I had no info to help him out on the matter.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Lol, ebay VGA "Official Gamecube graded component cables". Hell, probably already been done is what is pathetic.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Long story short is Nintendo made proprietary component cables which haven't been replicated, other than an expensive HDMI mod. They haven't always been expensive, but that's what happens when people want to play GBA games in component.

The Wii with component is the cheapest alternative as cables are plentiful and cheap, but some have disputed if it looks as good as the GameCube with component. I think it could be because of the quality from 1st party to 3rd party cables vary, but I wouldn't know. I rock monoprice cables, and it's fine with me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I have to admit I was already a few drinks in when I inserted the disc so I might have inserted the disc incorrectly but I will try again tomorrow. It just kept shooting the disc out. Are all model wii's compatible with gamecube games? I was using a black soft modded wii.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
IIRC, only the Wiis that are "meant" to stand up are backwards compatible. The Wiis that lay flat (as shown by the text on the front) aren't. I might not explaining this clearly, so another way is if you have GameCube ports, it should be backwards compatible.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
OK, so tell him to buy a Wii. Only reason to have a Gamecube + component cables anymore is if you want to play the Game Boy Player over component.

even then cant you just emulate GBA on the Wii....unless you just plain dont like emu

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
just get a good PVM and play the GC on S-Video.
It looks FANTASTIC, and the PVM costs as much as the cables anyway.

At least with the PVM, you can use it with other stuff.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There are indeed three models of Wiis.

If your system has Gamecube controller ports, it's compatible. If it doesn't, it's not.

The CPU/GPU/RAM are identical but the newer models had the dual slot loading trays removed to save production costs.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
just get a good PVM and play the GC on S-Video.
It looks FANTASTIC, and the PVM costs as much as the cables anyway.

At least with the PVM, you can use it with other stuff.

Not really sure why I never considered this. I agree that on a good display, s-video is at least 90% as good as RGB.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have to admit I was already a few drinks in when I inserted the disc so I might have inserted the disc incorrectly but I will try again tomorrow. It just kept shooting the disc out. Are all model wii's compatible with gamecube games? I was using a black soft modded wii.

As long as it has GameCube controller ports, it is compatible. The later models lost the backwards compatibility but at that point they removed the controller ports too.