Gamecube Soul Calibur 2 Joystick issues...

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Well, I've tried 2 different PS2 to Gamecube adapters for my Hori PS2 SC2 stick and I can't get either one to work with the joystick no matter what I do. I've tried the Gamestop one <a href="http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801663" target="_blank">HERE</a> and the Cube Joybox shown <a href="http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-2-1E-1-Nd-4-7.html" target="_blank">HERE</a> and neither of them work with the joystick. So basically at this point I have 3 options:

1) Keep searching for a converter that works with the Hori SC2 stick
2) Give up and buy the PS2 version of SC2 with the framerate issues
3) Give up and buy the Hori GC SC2 stick or some other recommended joystick (assuming others even exist for the GC)

I know some of you will probably tell me to use the GC or PS2 pads but honestly after playing fighting games on the Neo I'd rather eat rocks than use a gamepad for fighting games. :(

Any ideas?

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the stick isn't the best. I've played on candy cabs before and am very familiar in using the conrtols. But when I got the ps2 sc2 stick the other day it didn't handle the same. It's not the different button layout, it's the responsiveness is toned down from it's arcade conterparts. So you have to play with it a bit harder. Which may disgust some of the members who think of those abusing arcade machines.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
What about the official US Soul Calibur 2 joystick that is compatible with all 3 systems out of the box?

I'm very interested in hearing opinions on that stick. :)

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
JHendrix:
What about the official US Soul Calibur 2 joystick that is compatible with all 3 systems out of the box?

I assume that you mean this one <a href="http://xbox.ign.com/articles/433/433578p1.html" target="_blank">http://xbox.ign.com/articles/433/433578p1.html</a>

Supposedly GameStop bought the whole lot of them and there are not even enough for one for each store. Good luck on finding it. I am looking for it for Hacking purposes. I wish IGN would open that bitch up and take pics!

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
JHendrix:

I thought about that one, but I'm not sure I like the actual stick or the 8-button layout. If it's anything like the POS Shadowblade stick then I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

The SC2 stick isn't the greatest, but it's the closest I could come to the Agetec Dreamcast joystick which is about the only non-Neo, non-bigtime arcade stick I've liked.

Maybe I should just suck it up and buy a MAS stick with adapters for 12 different systems and be done with it...

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
that would be best. After all japanese controls are harder to play with precisely. Cause you gotta use them all gentle. But american ones work right no matter how hard, or fast you play. Just as long as you do the moves right

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I've heard from a gamer who has used one that the US SC2 sticks will be crap, but I have yet to get my hands on one.

I'm currently using a couple of Japanese Hori SC2 GC sticks myself, and they are outstanding as expected. :) They're too expensive for a console with no other decent fighters though. frown

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: neojedi ]</small>

slerch666

updyke,
I think, regardless of whether or not you can find a stick to use, you should stick with the GCN version of SC2, or invest in an X-Box.

I played the PS2 version yesterday at the EB where my brother works. The graphics all have that classic PS2 look to them, ie. they have jaggies and textures look alive. Plus you get the *sarcasm on* greatest SC2 extra character with the PS2 version. *sarcasm off*

I'd rather play with the GCN controller than have a game that looks like that and be fucked with the most retarded, gay ass extra character of the bunch. Couldn't they have picked SOMEONE better?

Guess you could also buy one of <a href="http://www.x-arcade.com/gamecube.shtml" target="_blank">these</a>. Although, for $99 the damn thing better make me dinner too.

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: slerch666 ]</small>

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
slerch666:
I think, regardless of whether or not you can find a stick to use, you should stick with the GCN version of SC2, or invest in an X-Box.

I played the PS2 version yesterday at the EB where my brother works. The graphics all have that classic PS2 look to them, ie. they have jaggies and textures look alive. Plus you get the *sarcasm on* greatest SC2 extra character with the PS2 version. *sarcasm off*

I'd rather play with the GCN controller than have a game that looks like that and be fucked with the most retarded, gay ass extra character of the bunch. Couldn't they have picked SOMEONE better?
And Link fits in MUCH better. :rolleyes:

slerch666

updyke,
Shinji:
I never said Link does fit in. At least he's got a weapon, and I'm sure they could have found a better Tekken character to use. Rather than hijack this thread, I'll leave it at that.

And it's not just the extra character that makes the PS2 version inferior. Add the PS2 graphics with texture crawl and the some times choppy frame rate. IT's a good game, so if all you have is a PS2, then buy this one. If you have the option for any of the other systems, I say go with either version over the PS2 on.

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
slerch666:
Shinji:
I never said Link does fit in. At least he's got a weapon, and I'm sure they could have found a better Tekken character to use. Rather than hijack this thread, I'll leave it at that.

And it's not just the extra character that makes the PS2 version inferior. Add the PS2 graphics with texture crawl and the some times choppy frame rate. IT's a good game, so if all you have is a PS2, then buy this one. If you have the option for any of the other systems, I say go with either version over the PS2 on.
Yeah, I know. I was just saying that I think the whole "console character" idea sucked. I mean, Link?! This isn't SSB's is it? =/

$hockwave

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
have you tried the nyko playcube yet i now i used to see them at mediaplay near where i live and here is a link to what i am talking about if you do not now where to get one but i am sure there are somewhere out there <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B00005YVU5/summitpost-20/102-4259031-6159316" target="_blank">play cube</a>

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
The PS2 version is very true to the arcade version right down to the frame rate drops which are momentary and lasts not even half a second.It doesn't take anything away from the gameplay AT ALL.
If you play the PS2 version on a HDTV with progressive scan, well, thats a different story.The graphics look smoother, sharper and the minor jaggies are non-existent.The same goes for Tekken 4.Progressive scan reduces any shimmering or jaggies so you are looking at the game the way it's meant to be.
The fact that Namco uses middleware to port it across all 3 systems means that they didn't optimise it for the PS2 unlike Tekken tag or Tekken 4 where Namco has all the time in the world to curb any slowdowns.

Last time i heard, heihachi is pretty overpowered in SC2 if you know what you are doing and have some Tekken experience.Just because link is more popular or has a weapon doesn't mean that old man Heihachi sucks.Depends on your taste.
It makes him more unique as the only character without weapons and could still own.
Just my 2 cents. glee

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Devil_Gans ]</small>