Games similar to Neo Drift Out?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I've been playing this game a bit lately and now I'm interested in knowing if there are any similar gems that I may have missed over the years.

I'm aware of several similar titles (mostly from before NDO). The most recent one that comes to mind is Racing Gears Advance (GBA), a good game in it's own right but not quite what I'm looking for.

Suggestions?

Spectre

Banned
Well they're not recent, but the Mille Miglia series (not sure how many were made?) by Kaneko are arcade classics.

Spectre

Banned
Don't think so, MAME? :D

While I'm here, a few vaguely similar racing games I can think of:- Rock 'N Roll Racing on the SNES, then theres a few on the Amiga like Super Skidmarks and Roadkill (both of which came out on the CD32 which is awesome).

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
um there are plenty actually.

By far one of the best is
1000 Miglia : The great 1000 miles Rally.
they made a sequel too. 1000 Miglia 2

World Rally
World Rally 2

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
F-1 Circus is an overhead view racing series I have enjoyed over the years. I have pretty much all the entries in the series except for the Mega CD one, which also is the only one that is not overhead. The game doesn't really play the same as Neo Drift Out (it's a much faster game, and F-1) but it's worth mentioning if we're going to have a thread about overhead racers.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
oh yeah.

F1 Grand Prix and II on the arcade. Makes ya lil dizzy, but play is fun.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
um there are plenty actually.

By far one of the best is
1000 Miglia : The great 1000 miles Rally.
they made a sequel too. 1000 Miglia 2

World Rally
World Rally 2

For the longest time I thought the game I played in arcades way back when that was eerily similar to Neo Drift Out must have been Drift Out '94. Now I realize it was in fact World Rally. :P Where is teh home portz?

F-1 Circus is an overhead view racing series I have enjoyed over the years. I have pretty much all the entries in the series except for the Mega CD one, which also is the only one that is not overhead. The game doesn't really play the same as Neo Drift Out (it's a much faster game, and F-1) but it's worth mentioning if we're going to have a thread about overhead racers.

Looks interesting. I'll probably pick up the Mega CD version soon, as I'm narrowing down the Japanese only titles any ways.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Lethal Crash Race

nother awesome one.

Spectre

Banned
Oooh, Super Sprint. Not really that similar, but I just wanted to mention it because it's awesome.

ocdspacemonkey

Crossed Swords Squire
There has been a few RC car titles done in the top down style over the years, most of which were on 8-16bit machines and really poo if i remember correctly:lolz:

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I've said it before

And I'll say it again

IMO Power Drive Rally on the Atari Jaguar beats them all.

It is the best game on their system ( not saying much I know but this title is wortht he price of admission.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I haven't had any experience with over top, but thrash rally is utter poo
yeah but it's another cheap AES game u can buy.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
58328152647front.jpg

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I havnt had any experience with over top, but thrash rally is utter poo:)
Thrash Rally isn't awful, it's just an older sort of game. Overtop and Driftout were both released in 96. Remember, that one came out in like 92 if I'm remembering correctly, whereas I find Driftout infinitely more playable, but I can't help but think Thrash Rally was cool at its time. I'd still like to pick up a copy and try it on a cab at some point.

Overtop, though, is a fair bit better than Thrash Rally. Now, it feels more like controlling a mini remote-control car than Driftout, but it's not bad; it's just not quite as tight-feeling.

I'd say Driftout>Overtop>Thrash Rally.

In fact, if I was to give each a ranking as far as enjoyment and playability on a scale of 1-10, I'd rank 'em as such:
Driftout: 9.5
Overtop: 7
Thrash Rally: 4

And I'll say it again

It is the best game on their system ( not saying much I know but this title is wortht he price of admission.
I'll have to pick that one up. I keep meaning to, since you keep saying it.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
And I'll say it again

Finally... and no I keep saying that game is the shit on these forums. :lolz: Power Drive Rally is imho the best Jaguar game period.

Another game that's pretty good similar to Neo Driftout is "Super Drift Out" for the Super Famicom. It was even made by the same company too, Visco.

syoki0806-img600x450-12227004220ezt6g51100.jpg

However, this game is imho much better, Zen-Nippon GT Senshuken for Super Famicom:

syoki0806-img600x450-1202385898sf_zennihon_gt.jpg

5546543aaa.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4zaYZkrRHw

Ignore the annoying reviewer.

Also for the japanese Playstation 1:

zeroodo3-img600x450-1237744371cgxdea98981.jpg

zeroodo3-img600x450-1237744371los5aw98981.jpg

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Thanks for all the handy replies. Of course I already know of Thrash Rally and Over Top. :) mmsadda's assessment on them is pretty agreeable.

I will definitely be picking up Power Drive Rally for the Jaguar, if only because it gives me an excuse to buy another Jaguar game. :) Better be good!

Those SFC games look great as well. Any known US releases for either under different titles?

Also does the JPN Playstation game have an alt title? Couldn't locate it on eBay going from the english on the cover.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Thrash Rally is an ace game, plays well and has really cool tunes, i think it gets crushed because it looks dated. Well, it is dated - doesn't make it a bad game.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Not quite the same

But I enjoyed the hell out of the overhead driving in GTA 1 and 2 on the computer and Sega Dreamcast.

RC pro am on NES is better than most and so is Micro Machines on the Sega Genesis