Games today suck....

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
Is there anything fun to play ? I won't even bother asking for fun co-op (I hear GoW is fun , but donno) Seems all that there is , is old favorites via emulation :crying: Anyone else feeling games are shit these days ?

ray_7

Hmm not really...

As you've said, GoW co-op and online play is fun.

Right now I'm digging those shooters/FPS more all thanks to GoW.

Resistance online is damn fun too... Imagine 40 players playing at once... :P

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Games went through a HUGE slump in the early PSX days with the N64 not putting out many good games at first and the Playstation lineup just being a pile of random crap with 1 in 100 games being awesome, but 20 million games to choose from. These days there are more and more high quality titles with really good online options. However, there aren't many 2D games, so you still need the old school games to get that fix. If that's all you like, then I can see how you'd be upset.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
pyrokilla said:
Is there anything fun to play ?

The Wii - not necessarily because the games are "great" but because it's fun to dork around with a crowd of friends on sports.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sometimes you really need to just move on, games change and what people want in games changes over time with new technology and the like.
While I love my 2D I find I love 3D just as much if not more, quality titles such as Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and heaps of others is a sign that we still have great games today, you've just got to get into them.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
play less games....

and go to the DS....

the shear number of games being pumped out just floods the market with crap.
Go find some gems, like Children of Mana, and play the hell out of them...

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I wouldn't say games suck today so much as I'd say more of them suck now as a result of more games in general being made, in addition to genres that used to be good now sucking. As it is, there's still plenty of good games out there...the ones that aren't are simply more prominent and regrettably, much more likely to achieve commercial success than before.

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
I would say... yes :( , lately I cant find a game that keep my attention on it for more than one week or less, and after I bought my 360 I sold it passed a week and bought some AES games :p , I never get tyred of Last Blade for example or Waku Waku, also the nowday games have no the same feeling than the old school used to have, damn I didnt know that even with the videogames you can become old:oh_no:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Games aren't shit.

People just go through slumps where they think games are shit.

I was like this for a couple years, but now I know better.

There's a ton of good stuff out.

Almost too much good stuff out.

Gears of War is superb co-op fun.

The Wii is proving to be an interesting step in the right direction (Zelda kicks an insane amount of ass and Wii Sports is a killer party game.)

Not to mention the DS.

That little thing is shaping up to have one of my favorite gaming libraries of all time.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon said:
Games went through a HUGE slump in the early PSX days with the N64 not putting out many good games at first and the Playstation lineup just being a pile of random crap with 1 in 100 games being awesome, but 20 million games to choose from.
I'm no math major, but that comes out to two hundred thousand awesome games on PSX.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
Games today are awesome. They're more immersive, more interactive, and are becoming better and better at drawing players into their worlds. I like my share of old-school gaming, but give the choice, I'd go with the majority of what's out now than what was out back then. Gaming has never been better.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The prob with today's industry is that too many games depend on co-op and online play.
I just want an amazing single-player experience.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
The prob with today's industry is that too many games depend on co-op and online play.
I just want an amazing single-player experience.

you know why?

a) its easier to code a game where the 'enemies' are filled in with real people, fuck designing monsters/AI. etc.

b) people actually want online games, .... apparently

BrutalDeath™

Stakes Winner 2
well if 2d fighters with lame characters are your cup of tea you're about 13 years too late.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Frankly speaking, I get games nowadays just for CG intro & intermissions.

If you want me to play game day-n-night, 16-bit game is the way to go.
That's why I buy Taito Memories, Capcom Classic Collections and Sega Genesis Collections & play the most...............:crying:

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
jethrek said:
WiiSports is crack fun

I´m gonna buy a Wii when there will be a deeper tenis game.

I played Wii sports yesterday (for the first time) and the first 5min where awesome but then .. meh.. :spock:

The tenis game (suposed to be the best one) was too much simple, I couldn't do top spin or back spin etc etc.

I don't know if Wii will ever be able to do such things, that's why I have some doubts about it.

cheers

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon said:
Games went through a HUGE slump in the early PSX days with the N64 not putting out many good games at first and the Playstation lineup just being a pile of random crap with 1 in 100 games being awesome, but 20 million games to choose from. These days there are more and more high quality titles with really good online options. However, there aren't many 2D games, so you still need the old school games to get that fix. If that's all you like, then I can see how you'd be upset.
I don't know man.. as contraversial as this may seem I think there X10 more AAA games for the Playstation than there are for the Dreamcast. I mean I like my Dreamcast, but overall, I just never felt that things went in the right direction.
Playstation era was the mid to late neo geo golden era, also a time when good arcade games where still being made. and ofcourse the Saturn era.
so all in all, unless I've missinterpreted your post, I wholeheartedly disagree.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
kernow said:
b) people actually want online games, .... apparently

Online games are actually fun.

But I suppose you wouldn't know that since you made that comment.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Average Joe said:
Gears of War is superb co-op fun.

QFT. Just finished it last night with my brother. I didnt realize that we played from 3pm-11pm

Dont you love the Berserker?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Bakaneiro said:
The tenis game (suposed to be the best one) was too much simple, I couldn't do top spin or back spin etc etc.

It's because you dont have to lift your feet.

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
i agree with with the thread starter, of all new games released in the past 5 years id say only 10 of them (give or take) are actually worth playing

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I disagree. I've been having a blast playing some of the newer games lately. In fact, it's the older ones that I've been unhappy with... I got that FF3 remake on DS, and I just don't like it at all. GOW, on the other hand, is pure bliss. I hear Zelda on Wii is amazing as well.... Maybe you're just in a slump?

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Spike Spiegel said:
I disagree. I've been having a blast playing some of the newer games lately. In fact, it's the older ones that I've been unhappy with... I got that FF3 remake on DS, and I just don't like it at all. GOW, on the other hand, is pure bliss. I hear Zelda on Wii is amazing as well.... Maybe you're just in a slump?

What Spike Said. Saying that games today suck is extremely short sighted. GOW is sex, pure and simple. I'm chomping at the bit to play Resistance: Fall of Man and Dead Rising (outside of the HDD issue) was probably the most fun I've had playing a game in years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally abandoning my classic roots. I still break out my NES, SNES and Genny, but truth be told, once you take off the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia alot of the classic games bite ass. I loved Weaponlord when it first came out back in '95 but you couldn't pay me to play it now. I dug Golgo 13 when I was a kid but I'd rather be punched in the nuts than play it now. Same goes for newer games like Chromehounds, The Outfit and Rumble Roses. They all look pretty but at the core they're all ass.

Every generation has it's fair share of great games and fodder. There are great new games out there right now on new hardware, you're just being a crochety old school gamer and you won't even give them a chance.