Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 Data Found

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
So the data for MotW 2 was indeed out there all along…

For those interested:

Data from Mark of the Wolves 2 has been found on 2 cd-rom disks belonging to a Garou Team programmer dubbed “Mr. K” from before SNK moved on to the pachislot business. They were able to verify some temporary new MotW2 backgrounds and character part graphics in the data. The name on the cd has been blocked, but data and images have been shared in a series of tweets:

Converted image files for Kuan. Unfortunately there are only 4 reference motion images (forward walk, dash, guard crush, and some color samples) so there are, unfortunately, no special move images.

New characters starting from left to right:**
(**note: I’ll render the names as best I can rather than type out the kana phonetics)

Jess Yang
Kuan Konta
Joe Higashi (non combatant)
Daniel Heil
Ed Parmer
??? (someone related to Dolvick?)
Dolvick Borne
Geki (Fierce) Gaoh

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Watch out, Daniel Heil got that one hand in the pocket swagger. Do not fuck with.

Hospital Joe is amazing. That should definitely be a playable character.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hospital Joe looks like a character who would jump in or out before or after a match. He's mentoring new character, Kuan.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This is a really awesome find!

It'll likely never happen, but I'd love for SNK to farm out development of MOW2 to a company like DotEmu with these sprites used as a reference. Give one last true hurrah to the old Neo-Geo sprites but developed for modern platforms. If they could do it with Shredder's Revenge and Streets of Rage 4...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This is a really awesome find!

It'll likely never happen, but I'd love for SNK to farm out development of MOW2 to a company like DotEmu with these sprites used as a reference. Give one last true hurrah to the old Neo-Geo sprites but developed for modern platforms. If they could do it with Shredder's Revenge and Streets of Rage 4...

+1
Would love for SNK to green-light a sequel with the assets they have on hand as reference material to make a sprite-based sequel.

The devs behind SoR4 showed their own concept for a MotW2, but I would rather have a sequel utilize sprites like you said instead of the art style they went with in SoR4:

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Someone want to make some animated gifs out of these sprites, or maybe a mugen character? Could be cool to see things in motion to the degree the sprites are available.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Man, I wish Natsume/Atari team(s) responsible for Ninja Saviors/Pocky y Rocky:Reshrined/WildGuns redux could finish this.

Great find!

NexusX

Astra Superstar
What level of completion was MotW 2 at when it was cancelled? Anyone know?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sharing some of the object data found from MotW2, existing characters from MotW had about 10-20 graphics of new techniques. Unfortunately, Rock was not included. Freeman, Kevin, Griffon, and Grant’s graphics are corrupted. New character Jess Yang had 80 graphic images, plus 1 other. A graphic for Andy was found in the data for Hokutomaru.

EB38C240-6B36-40CE-A787-F9299570CAB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
10-20 Graphics from MotW2 of new techniques for existing characters were shared. Unfortunately, Rock was not included. Freeman, Kevin, Griffon, and Grant’s graphics are corrupted. New character Jess Yang had 80 graphic images (plus 1 other). A graphic for Andy was found in the graphic data for Hokutomaru.

I was about to post and enquire about this. If that means only one character (Jess Yang) had a significant (yet very incomplete) amount of frames done, this was really early work...

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I was under the impression Garou 2 was 75% done, at least according to Tiptonium here a few years ago. Tried looking up his user name yesterday and, search user name doesn't even list him.

Jon

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I was under the impression Garou 2 was 75% done, at least according to Tiptonium here a few years ago. Tried looking up his user name yesterday and, search user name doesn't even list him.

Jon

Hey whats up Jon, this data could just be a snapshot of programmer Mr. K’s work at a point in the game’s development and not necessarily an assembly of all of the known completed assets that were ever done for the title (since we don’t know at what point/when this cd-rom was created relative to the total development of the game).

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Hey whats up Jon, this data could just be a snapshot of programmer Mr. K’s work at a point in the game’s development and not necessarily an assembly of all of the known completed assets that were ever done for the title (since we don’t know at what point/when this cd-rom was created relative to the total development of the game).
Right. I guess I should've differentiated by "what was Garou 2's status as a completed game" , not "where was the game at when these disks were made." Anyway, that info was never verified, officially, but, Tiptonium was always fairly respected here. So, who knows?

If Eolith and SNK circa 2002-3 thought it wasn't viable enough to complete (just look at what they were able to achieve with SVC Chaos) I guess Garou 2, probably, wasn't that far along.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Right. I guess I should've differentiated by "what was Garou 2's status as a completed game" , not "where was the game at when these disks were made." Anyway, that info was never verified, officially, but, Tiptonium was always fairly respected here. So, who knows?

If Eolith and SNK circa 2002-3 thought it wasn't viable enough to complete (just look at what they were able to achieve with SVC Chaos) I guess Garou 2, probably, wasn't that far along.

Jon
Christ, I'm an idiot. I meant Trueminator not, Tiptonium.

Jon

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Kinda cool but this shit probably won't be dumped and shared.

If not it will rot like most prototypes/betas that are in the hands of japanese "preservers".

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Kinda cool but this shit probably won't be dumped and shared.

If not it will rot like most prototypes/betas that are in the hands of japanese "preservers".
getting prototypes / betas / unreleased software out of Japan is hard as shit. I've managed to make an arrangement ONCE in ten years

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
getting prototypes / betas / unreleased software out of Japan is hard as shit. I've managed to make an arrangement ONCE in ten years

The japanese autists who hoard this shit would rather die then dump this stuff cause they are either scurred of repercussions (lol) or have some old age chivalry honor of not releasing shit for my honor meanwhile they make doujins of video game characters original do not steal fuging. I don't remember what prototype it was but the hoarder did have his life extinguished but luckily someone got the data/beta in a buy.

The US/Euro megalomaniacs prototype hoarders like to feel useful in their useless life so they like to tease the noobs with beta/prototype. One funny example is the Klonoa guy. Look it up on reddit.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The japanese autists who hoard this shit would rather die then dump this stuff cause they are either scurred of repercussions (lol) or have some old age chivalry honor of not releasing shit for my honor meanwhile they make doujins of video game characters original do not steal fuging. I don't remember what prototype it was but the hoarder did have his life extinguished but luckily someone got the data/beta in a buy.

The US/Euro megalomaniacs prototype hoarders like to feel useful in their useless life so they like to tease the noobs with beta/prototype. One funny example is the Klonoa guy. Look it up on reddit.
this is why I hunt down things I enjoy and release them. Its just fun.

The amount of people who've contacted me for stuff they know I have BEFORE I release it...asking to buy it to keep it private...its ridiculous. Like WTF...you can have it for FREE...just like everyone else. Why in the shit would you want to spend $$ to get it and keep it private?

The logic escapes me. If I was a shitty person I'd sell these things with the promise NOT to release them...then release them anyway!

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
this is why I hunt down things I enjoy and release them. Its just fun.

The amount of people who've contacted me for stuff they know I have BEFORE I release it...asking to buy it to keep it private...its ridiculous. Like WTF...you can have it for FREE...just like everyone else. Why in the shit would you want to spend $$ to get it and keep it private?

The logic escapes me. If I was a shitty person I'd sell these things with the promise NOT to release them...then release them anyway!
Thank you for not being another jackass collectard, very much appreciated. Games are made to be shared and played, not to rot away in some asshole's "museum", that not preservation, it's a burial.