Garou motw MVS graphics+jailbars

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
The gameplay and sound works but the graphics is all blocky and messed up...any clue what I do next. I have already tried dishwasher treatment, cleaning the contacts with iso & pen/pencil eraser.

2014+-+1

2014+-+2

help will be much appreciated!!

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

It could be the C roms or the FIO chip, a cold solder on the C roms area and/or a C rom damaged.

Un saludo

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah that looks like graphics data is entirely missing. The fix layer still works though. On the CHAFIO, the S ROM is integrated into the mass of C ROMs, confuses matters a bit. For sure it seems like either control/enable lines are bad or chips are bad as there is no graphics going on to speak of (other than fix layer).

If the contacts are clean and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the PCB, probably the only option would be to desolder one C ROM at a time and test each in a EPROM programmer against MAME dumps... But those are 64Mbit Mask ROMs, I don't know if those could be read.

If the C ROMs are all good, it pretty much means the big CMC on the CHAFIO is dead or malfunctioning, possibly has cold solder joints. Maybe send it to Xian Xi and see if he can fix it?

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
Thanks everyone. Will probably paas the cart to someone else who has the resources to fix it. I still need an eprom burner/reader in my maintenance kit.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
As I said, you may not actually be able to read a 64Mbit Mask ROM with a convential 42 pin EPROM programmer, they can only program up to 32Mbit, there aren't bigger EPROMs than that.

Luckily, CHAFIO MVS boards are not too difficult to obtain, a cheap donor is Jockey Grand Prix. The game sucks anyway, it's barely a game, nobody will miss it. KOF 2001 is another cheap donor. Keep in mind though, there are two different CMC chips for the CHAFIO board, thus two different CHAFIO boards. The earlier CHAFIO board has an unencrypted M1 ROM. The later CHAFIO common with post SNK Corporation titles, has the M1 ROM encrypted. If you interchange these boards, you'll lose the M1 and possibly all sounds as it is a Z80 driver. Garou MOTW uses the older CHAFIO board.

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
Will have a dig at home for KOF2001. So is it a matter of desoldering the roms from garou and line them up in KOFs' CHAFIO board...assuming the c-ram are still good? If it is a faulty c-rom(s), is there any replacement eprom I can use for them? As another member has pointed me to this site: http://www.buyicnow.com/ser.php?i=1 to obtain new roms.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
there is not replacement Eprom for the 64Mbi chips. As Heavymachinegun stated 32Mbit if the biggest eprom available. Try swapping it to a new ChaFio board and if the problem is still there then i say just cut your losses and find another one lol.

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
cool, thats a more feasible solution I suppose. Right, so its a matter of desoldering the c-roms to garou and soldering to kof01s' chafio?

Is there a wiki/list of compatible chafio??

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
KOF 2001 will not work it has the updated CMC. you would need something KOF 99

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You can stack two 32Mbit EPROMs in place of one 64Mbit Mask ROM, split the ROM file as upper and lower, then add some logic to auto switch between high and low as the Neo needs it (some bootlegs do this), or get a 64Mbit TSOP Flash chip on a 42 pin DIP adapter. The Flash has to be NAND, not NOR I think.

Yeah KOF 2001 is too new, it has an encrypted M1 ROM. This list shows which games use what CMC chip.

Printed on the CMC chip:
90G06C7042 = Unencrypted M1 ROM
90G06C7050 = Encrypted M1 ROM

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=CHAFIO

Damn, I didn't realize JGP uses the newer CHAFIO board too. The only games compatible with Garou MOTW are:

Zupapa
KOF 99
Ganryu
Garou
Strikers 1945 Plus
Prehistoric Isle 2
Metal Slug 3
Bang Bead
Nightmare in the Dark
Sengoku 3

Anything made after Jockey Grand Prix won't work.

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
Yup, I understand now...I think I have a spare striker for the transplantation. So its a matter of desoldering the c-roms from garou and put it in the new CHAFIO?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yes, all you do is take out all the C ROM chips from both boards and swap them around. (make sure you pay attention to the NGH number on the chips so you don't mix them up! Garou MOTW is NGH-253)

But, seriously, you're going to sacrifice a Strikers 1945? Man that's a $120+ game! Get a KOF 99, that's about $20 usually. Nobody will miss a KOF 99 for the most part.

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
dont have 99 but have 2 x strikers. But you right, I should go for the lesser game..I wonder whether a bootleg version of metal slug 4 work?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Bootlegs are so hit and miss with quality and actual functionality, you definitely shouldn't touch them. With original SNK boards, you'll always know what ROM sizes and encryption those boards are capable of. Encryption in particular is a real problem when it comes to repairs.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Why not try and reflow the CMC first...since your probably gonna pull the roms anyway.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
He definitely should not do that, the CMC is a nightmare. Send it to someone with the skill and tools to reflow a SMD chip like that.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
What's to loose? The board is already shot and a KOF99 is cheaper than shipping and repairs anywho.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Without good tools, the only guarantee is you'll wreck the CMC even further. What's the point? The pins are microscopic and the board takes an insane amount of heat to work with, not a good combo, leave that to the professionals.

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
I concur, the CMC pins are definitely not something I can mess with...the c-rom seems easier to deal with at the moment.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You can stack two 32Mbit EPROMs in place of one 64Mbit Mask ROM, split the ROM file as upper and lower, then add some logic to auto switch between high and low as the Neo needs it (some bootlegs do this), or get a 64Mbit TSOP Flash chip on a 42 pin DIP adapter. The Flash has to be NAND, not NOR I think.

Yeah KOF 2001 is too new, it has an encrypted M1 ROM. This list shows which games use what CMC chip.

Printed on the CMC chip:

Damn, I didn't realize JGP uses the newer CHAFIO board too. The only games compatible with Garou MOTW are:

Zupapa
KOF 99
Ganryu
Garou
Strikers 1945 Plus
Prehistoric Isle 2
Metal Slug 3
Bang Bead
Nightmare in the Dark
Sengoku 3

Out of that list, definitely go after a KoF99. Everything else is mid-to-pricey and not really worth killing for a maybe-fix for that Garou cart.

pierpa86

n00b

Printed on the CMC chip:

Zupapa
KOF 99
Ganryu
Garou
Strikers 1945 Plus
Prehistoric Isle 2
Metal Slug 3
Bang Bead
Nightmare in the Dark
Sengoku 3

Hello HMG,
I'm trying to understand how stack two 16Mbit EPROM 27c160 for replace 32Mbit V rom.
Did you have any tips or documentation to read about it ?
Thanks