GC sell 500K inOne week

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
In the USA during thanks giving

Owned Xbox,I think it's possible that the GC will surpass the Xbox sales in the USA after Christmass,so they will be Number 2 worldwide on all fronts....

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
smokey said:
In the USA during thanks giving

Owned Xbox,I think it's possible that the GC will surpass the Xbox sales in the USA after Christmass,so they will be Number 2 worldwide on all fronts....

Even a number 2 is nothing compared to the market PS2 has gained, but it is some saving grace to a bad start.

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
Of course it's gonna do well, Hell would've bought one for 99 bucks if I didn't have one. (it includes the freakin zelda series)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Piccolo_DBz said:
Of course it's gonna do well, Hell would've bought one for 99 bucks if I didn't have one. (it includes the freakin zelda series)

Me, I still don't want one... go fig.

-Nick

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Re: Re: GC sell 500K inOne week

the roker said:
Even a number 2 is nothing compared to the market PS2 has gained, but it is some saving grace to a bad start.

hey now.... GBA has sold more than the Ps2.... a few times over :)

Not meaning total count... but in a given month....

if I am not mistaken... the GBA is pretty close to the Ps2 :) (or at least.... closer than most).

I cannot find the numbers as of right now though.

†B†V†

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Wow it'll be real interesting to see the sales figures after the holidays. Prolly will show up around Febuary or so.

Thing is, Nintendo is still in 3rd place when it comes to software sales figures in the US anyway. Well for the GC only, but even with the GBA added in to GC's market share they're still way behind Sony.

Like I said, can't wait to see the numbers. :)

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
where did you get info that nintendo is in 3rd for software sales? maybe consoles but im not so sure about software. The amount of people who own xbox and dont actually buy the games and DL them instead is enormous so it would be suprising.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
NeoFight said:
where did you get info that nintendo is in 3rd for software sales? maybe consoles but im not so sure about software. The amount of people who own xbox and dont actually buy the games and DL them instead is enormous so it would be suprising.

In another thread that was started by chimpmeister...the whole analysts predicting doom for Nintendo, someone posted a break down of sales software between the systems if I am not mistaken.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
DangerousK said:
In another thread that was started by chimpmeister...the whole analysts predicting doom for Nintendo, someone posted a break down of sales software between the systems if I am not mistaken.

cliffnotes please.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi said:
cliffnotes please.

Here...found Hendrix's post on this. It is from 10/02 to 10/03, but it gives a good enough idea about the market sales for software.

JHendrix said:
Wow I was bored.

Did some research on the market share from October 2003 to October 2002.

This is taken from the top 20 games sold for each month over this period. 260 Games in total. It broke down like this

PS2 58.46%
Xbox 11.15%
GCN 9.23%
GBA 21.15%

Check the stats by tallying it yourself from www.gamedaily.com and go through the numbers. All this is market share, not #'s sold, just overall rankings so take it for what you will.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
interesting. I can't think of what games peopel are buying from the gamecube or the xbow right now, other than viewtiful joe.

JHendrix

EvilWasabi said:
interesting. I can't think of what games peopel are buying from the gamecube or the xbow right now, other than viewtiful joe.

Gamecube (other than VJ):
Mario Golf
Mario Kart
F-Zero GX (not for me, but if you like the genre it's awesome)

XBox:
CounterStrike
Crimson Skies
Project Gotham Racing

Either:
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Tony Hawks Underground

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
I knew that the Gamecube would see strong holiday sales that could perhaps close some gap space between itself and X-box here in the US and maybe Europe, but I had no idea they would be that strong in such a short time. I wonder if that's about it for the holiday season or if people will be buying more. I'm sure there will be decent sales in Janurary from people spending Christmas money.

There are actually quite a lot of games on Gamecube that people want, they simply don't know it yet. I don't mean that as you might think however. I talk with a lot of casual gamers on campus, or rather, they talk with me. But I recall a few people talking about some of the games they wanted and not realizing where to find them. One guy told me he was looking into getting a PS2 because he wants to have the Resident Evil games. I had to explain the current situation on that one for him, after showing him some shots of Resident Evil 4 I think he knew what he had to do.

Nintendo needs to include some of those little booklets of upcoming titles next to their Cubes and perhaps in the boxes. That way people know of some of the high profile titles coming in 2004. Get people a little more excited about things. You would be suprised how many people just aren't informed about the products they purchase.

With some of the titles out there in Japan and releasing this month I expect Gamecube sales to be pretty solid over there too. Nintendo has done a wonderful job in promoting interest in their console so late into things. There is only about a year or so left in this console generation and whoever goes out on a high note is going to have a good advantage going into the next launch. Sony knows that there isn't much more they can do, most people already have PS2 systems if they wanted them, so it's just a matter of maintaining a decent supply of good software. Microsoft has gotten lazy if you ask me. They have a pretty sad holiday package and aren't doing nearly as much to promote the X-box as they were before. Either that or Nintendo is just doing so much more that it's begun to dwarf the marketing of X-box. I use to hear so much about X-box that it made my ears bleed, now it seems the focus has pretty well shifted over to the Gamecube.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Sales do not equal profits. If every game for a system was suddenly cut to a dollar, sales would be through the roof and profits would be disastrous... I'm not saying this isn't good for Nintendo, just saying that the sales numbers never mean much in terms of how healthy each company is.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think we had like 400 Gamecubes for our store on blitz marked at $79. They were gone in 2 days.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
IoriYagami n8 said:
I knew that the Gamecube would see strong holiday sales that could perhaps close some gap space between itself and X-box here in the US and maybe Europe, but I had no idea they would be that strong in such a short time. I wonder if that's about it for the holiday season or if people will be buying more. I'm sure there will be decent sales in Janurary from people spending Christmas money.

There are actually quite a lot of games on Gamecube that people want, they simply don't know it yet. I don't mean that as you might think however. I talk with a lot of casual gamers on campus, or rather, they talk with me. But I recall a few people talking about some of the games they wanted and not realizing where to find them. One guy told me he was looking into getting a PS2 because he wants to have the Resident Evil games. I had to explain the current situation on that one for him, after showing him some shots of Resident Evil 4 I think he knew what he had to do.

Nintendo needs to include some of those little booklets of upcoming titles next to their Cubes and perhaps in the boxes. That way people know of some of the high profile titles coming in 2004. Get people a little more excited about things. You would be suprised how many people just aren't informed about the products they purchase.

With some of the titles out there in Japan and releasing this month I expect Gamecube sales to be pretty solid over there too. Nintendo has done a wonderful job in promoting interest in their console so late into things. There is only about a year or so left in this console generation and whoever goes out on a high note is going to have a good advantage going into the next launch. Sony knows that there isn't much more they can do, most people already have PS2 systems if they wanted them, so it's just a matter of maintaining a decent supply of good software. Microsoft has gotten lazy if you ask me. They have a pretty sad holiday package and aren't doing nearly as much to promote the X-box as they were before. Either that or Nintendo is just doing so much more that it's begun to dwarf the marketing of X-box. I use to hear so much about X-box that it made my ears bleed, now it seems the focus has pretty well shifted over to the Gamecube.

I don't know how people cannot see the Gamecube is cool... and has superb games.

I have about 60 cube games.
Its a good system. I think there are about 5 games that I do not like to play often... BUT are fun to go to about every3 months.

†B†V†

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
wow you know what? fuck sales everybody always worry about sales ohhh ps2 owned xbox ooohhh xbox owned gc an vice versa man fuck that shit.
its about the games man an right now ps2 an xbox have better games going for them
shit limp bizkit sells millions of records doesnt mean they make good music does it?

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
dmhawkmoon said:
Sales do not equal profits. If every game for a system was suddenly cut to a dollar, sales would be through the roof and profits would be disastrous... I'm not saying this isn't good for Nintendo, just saying that the sales numbers never mean much in terms of how healthy each company is.

Thanks for injecting a dose of reality! ;)

And yes, you have heard me say this before - I hope Nintendo finishes up strong and (wisely) decides not to make new hardware. Forget their situation - the industry can't handle a new generation of 3 consoles with evenly distributed user-bases.

JHendrix

You know now that I think about it, there was no link ever provided to prove this actually happened. I mean 500k systems in such a short period of time is a LOT and would be reported everywhere. Yet I haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Got Source?

mog

Bead Banger
5thlion5thlion said:
wow you know what? fuck sales everybody always worry about sales ohhh ps2 owned xbox ooohhh xbox owned gc an vice versa man fuck that shit.
its about the games man an right now ps2 an xbox have better games going for them
shit limp bizkit sells millions of records doesnt mean they make good music does it?

Hey, we're just reveling around the Little Engine That Could :)

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
JHendrix said:
You know now that I think about it, there was no link ever provided to prove this actually happened. I mean 500k systems in such a short period of time is a LOT and would be reported everywhere. Yet I haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Got Source?

Good point, I was about to post something like that myself. Smokey, where is your proof that they sold 500K systems in one week? :spock:

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
chimpmeister said:
Good point, I was about to post something like that myself. Smokey, where is your proof that they sold 500K systems in one week? :spock:

cube.ign.com has the story there.

There are a couple other places as well.

Remember... a lot of the new/media are owned in some part by Microsoft (meaning indirectly)... so msn.com won't report that.

Many other .com's won't as well.....

†B†V†