Gen X'ers (born 1965-1980) What's your opinion about our place in society?

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
I read this (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1731528,00.html) and it got me thinking about our Generation.

Are we the quiet, skeptical, cynnical, underachieving, forgotten generation, between the Baby-Boomers, and Generation-Y/Millennials? Or are we just doing are thing on the down-low, and are just not flashy, attention whores like the Baby-Boomer & Gen-Y/Millennials?

My mom & dad have been saying that they 'don't get us Gen-Xer's'. Also, I remember seeing recently, I believe it was an episode of Family Guy. Where they made joke about 'the cynical Gen-X'ers'.

Most of us here are Gen-X'ers, I'd like to here your opinions.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I think it's going to be our job to clean up the mess that the self-centered, selfish baby boomer generation has created. A big fuck you to greedy politicians and CEOs who care more about money than what is going to happen the future generations of this world.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I read this (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1731528,00.html) and it got me thinking about our Generation.

Are we the quiet, skeptical, cynnical, underachieving, forgotten generation, between the Baby-Boomers, and Generation-Y/Millennials? Or are we just doing are thing on the down-low, and are just not flashy, attention whores like the Baby-Boomer & Gen-Y/Millennials?

My mom & dad have been saying that they 'don't get us Gen-Xer's'. Also, I remember seeing recently, I believe it was an episode of Family Guy. Where they made joke about 'the cynical Gen-X'ers'.

Most of us here are Gen-X'ers, I'd like to here your opinions.

Since I was born on the fringe of the Gen-X/Gen-Y timeline, there have been a couple of things that I've noticed that went on through the years. If you think about it in one way, the previous generation gave birth to the ideals of the next. Where the baby boomers grew up with the advent of television, gen-xers created Google, Yahoo, and the other dot coms to include interactivity with media sources . The next generation seems to look at this invention as a form of entertainment and not as a tool. An example of this is an issue that occurred at work this week.

A younger co worker was having an issue trying to find some obscure telco company as we were dealing with a major outage in the east coast. We have a database within our own intranet and this company's contact information wasn't listed. He comes up to me and says " I'm screwed, I can't find the number for their network ops center". After hearing this I replied, "Did you search for the number?" He told me he did and that he looked EVERYWHERE. Then I asked him, "Did you use Google or any other search engine?". He then procedes to give me this look like I'm a freaking genius. This same employee may seem to used the internet to keep up with friends, blog about his opinions, shop, check his mail, and keep up with celebrity dirt. At not one point in time did he think to use it as a tool.

My point is that previous generations gave the following ones tools to better themselves. Whether that generation used it in a positive/practical way is the questionable point.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I wanna say we'll be remembered but, I don't know. I agree following the Baby Boomers pretty much sucks ass.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm a Gen Y'er...and we kind of suck to be honest. It's a bunch of people babbeling on how the system sucks and corporate greed this and that, but would do jack shit to stop it.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
They're really racist, you always see them beating up little kids and stealing from Alzheimered grannies