General price of all things Neo Geo

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's all relative. Out of all my AES carts, I only overpaid for MOTW. I knew I was overpaying by a bit, but considering I've been waiting five years to buy the game, I pulled the trigger at a higher than average price. That doesn't make the cart suddenly worth what I paid for everyone else...it just makes it worth what I paid to me.

That's the issue with the Neo scene, and game collecting in general. Everyone looks at the last sale as the new bar that all games should be priced at, as opposed to usually factoring in "desire" vs "demand". There may be a lot of "demand" for a particular cart, but only a few people who "desire" it enough to overpay slightly.

Every other cart I got for pride guide if not lower

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for MOTW?

Alle

n00b
Agree 100% i grew up in the 90s and saved money to go to the arcades once a month and it was always so damn awesome, so thats why i want the games cause of memories i have and the joy they bring me when im playing them. These people have never set foot in an arcade and dont even know what its like. I play all my games, In fact i only buy games that im going to play, i wont buy something just to have it. The neo geo was always something i swore i would have one day cause when youre a kid with very little money its untouchable. I wanted one so bad after playing samurai shodown on the 2 slot we had in the local arcade. I never even saw an AES in person, but in those magazines I would see them and just dream of how awesome it would be to own one of these someday.

I don't see the point in collecting Neo Geo if you've never been in an arcade....

Alle

n00b
what do you mean?

I love to play Neo Geo because it brings me back memories of countless afternoons spent in the arcade.
On the contrary, playing games never owned when I was young, gets me bored quickly.

Sorry for my terrible english :keke:

Arcadecrazy

New Challenger
The market seems to change quite a bit, it always comes down to supply and demand. I try to remind myself when considering a game that the great thing about the neo is that every new game is like getting a brand new arcade cabinet. If you are patient good deals do come up but this system is most defiantly a pricier system to get A titles for. It's just so dam fun to play:)

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
I'm with you guys. The few times I got to play a Big Red were great. The NG home console was prohibitively expensive. Unfortunately my local arcades began closing down sooner than most and I had to go on vacation to find anything. That's when I began buying consoles to assemble my own 'arcade'. Now that I've learned more about the various SNK products I chose a CMVS to both enjoy those games from the past and to experience the wealth of games I never had access to. You could imagine my reaction when I first learned about MAME.

Those hipsters are easy to spot. They might use a GB as an accessory but god forbid they have a game in there and know how to turn it on.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

So I've got a Neo Geo X with a few mods, but my soul knows it is not the real deal so I've started the search. That search didn't take too long, because turns out my boss has an AES sitting in his garage and he's had it since he was 16. Neo Geo's are like Unicorns here in Australia, I've never seen one myself. To be honest, I'm definitely not an expert, that's why I joined this forum and I wanted to ask if this is a fair price.

AES console with 2 controllers
Baseball Stars 2
Nam 1975
Soccer Brawl
Art of Fighting 2
World Heroes Perfect
$750 AUD (about $701 USD).

My collection ambitions are modest to begin with, Windjammers (which I know is expensive as hell), maybe Bomberman and a few others. For the sake of convenience, is this a decent deal or should I speak to some of the people on this forum?

Excited to be come a real Neo Geo owner! The X just doesn't cut it.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
So about the prices for AES games in the price guides section...
Are the prices based on the cartridge alone or with the case and manual?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hey guys!

So I've got a Neo Geo X with a few mods, but my soul knows it is not the real deal so I've started the search. That search didn't take too long, because turns out my boss has an AES sitting in his garage and he's had it since he was 16. Neo Geo's are like Unicorns here in Australia, I've never seen one myself. To be honest, I'm definitely not an expert, that's why I joined this forum and I wanted to ask if this is a fair price.

Baseball Stars 2
Nam 1975
Soccer Brawl
Art of Fighting 2
World Heroes Perfect

My collection ambitions are modest to begin with, Windjammers (which I know is expensive as hell), maybe Bomberman and a few others. For the sake of convenience, is this a decent deal or should I speak to some of the people on this forum?

Jump on it if you're thinking about it, imo.

Considering the price of World Heroes Perfect and Baseball Stars 2 and what you would have to pay on top of that price to get a lot like that shipped to Australia, it's all reasonable in my opinion.

Welcome fellow Aussie!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Hey guys!

Baseball Stars 2
Nam 1975
Soccer Brawl
Art of Fighting 2
World Heroes Perfect

It's not an awfully bad deal but if I were you I would save the $750 and put it towards an MVS set up instead. It's pretty easy to get MVS carts here compared to home carts which are horribly expensive. You can get them from overseas easier but you then have to pay international shipping.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
Found an AES US copy of cyber lip with the case and manual online. Price guide says it value is around $45-$60 but I get the feeling it's going to go up in price. What's the max you would pay for it?

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
I intend to collect as many AES cartridges as I can up to $200/cart. I do not believe I can ever obtain a single Metal Slug home cartridge without fear or skeptcism of it being fake, so much so that i'm considering a conversion, but one that's made with non-sacc'd carts. With the AF3, from what I understand, is that we're seeing most of components can be reproduced. Although that probably won't happen either, but who knows, maybe i'll hit the jackpot and I'll be able to afford it. For now though, i'm hopping on that MVS gravytrain

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
About that "let the gamers have their games" thing, well, Neo stuff always was expensive. Back in the 90s I already had a job but still had to save up for a new homecart game for months, MVS was not an option (and still isn't for me).

It is still possible to get halfway decent deals if you are patient enough. Good things come to those who have learned to wait and strike at the right time. However, things get mindblowingly expensive if you're one of those people who desperately want to amass a large collection in a very short time. Most of the time people like that end up paying outta their nose, thus driving up the prices. I mean, it takes two to tango, a seller who asks outrageous prices and a buyer stupid enough to shell out. If you brake the circle, things will get back to normal again. One can only hope, eh.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I intend to collect as many AES cartridges as I can up to $200/cart. I do not believe I can ever obtain a single Metal Slug home cartridge without fear or skeptcism of it being fake, so much so that i'm considering a conversion, but one that's made with non-sacc'd carts. With the AF3, from what I understand, is that we're seeing most of components can be reproduced. Although that probably won't happen either, but who knows, maybe i'll hit the jackpot and I'll be able to afford it.

Having chosen the AEShole route, the Slugs are some of the biggest reasons I got an MVS converter. This takes the wind out of a lot of costs for games like that, and lets me enjoy Shock Troopers without needing to get a conversion. I don't think conversions with non sacc'd pieces exist, quite honestly.

It is still possible to get halfway decent deals if you are patient enough. Good things come to those who have learned to wait and strike at the right time. However, things get mindblowingly expensive if you're one of those people who desperately want to amass a large collection in a very short time. Most of the time people like that end up paying outta their nose, thus driving up the prices. I mean, it takes two to tango, a seller who asks outrageous prices and a buyer stupid enough to shell out. If you brake the circle, things will get back to normal again. One can only hope, eh.

Could not have said it better, myself!

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's not an awfully bad deal but if I were you I would save the $750 and put it towards an MVS set up instead. It's pretty easy to get MVS carts here compared to home carts which are horribly expensive. You can get them from overseas easier but you then have to pay international shipping.

You could buy some fingerless gloves and a shopping cart to push your stuff in to your under-bridge home too.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
If i've got a tight income, does this mean i've got a tight AEShole?

wondering-asian-woman.jpg

I hope that isn't some kinda summoning-spell for dvdxsploitr

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for MOTW?

Low 700's shipped. I really wanted to wait to see something appear in the mid to high 5's, but after years of logging in here an hour too late each time a MOTW went up for sale, I finally gave in and paid high. It was a combo between "damn it I've been looking and waiting for over five years" and an awesome mint copy with mint manual / mint reg card / near mint insert and cart.

So all in all I am happy with it. But It's the only cart out of my collection I paid a premium for

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Just to break some pre-conceptions...

I didn't really experience NeoGeo in the Arcade "BITD", but that didn't stop me from lusting after the Home Console when I became 'of age' and financially adept enough to acquire one. Just because I didn't get to experience it properly in the arcades (MVS's were a bit thin on the ground round these parts) doesn't automatically discount me from being a 'valid' purchaser of Neo hardware & software.

Similarly, I can't really support this perspective that individuals who weren't "there" shouldn't be entitled to immerse themselves in gaming history, should they wish to do so. I sure hope audiophiles etc don't turn their nose up at the idea of me listening to Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath, simply because I was not BORN when those bands were outputting their greatest hits.

The effect all this has on prices is a double-edged sword. Sure, on the one hand, some dick overspending on MOTW's has a catastrophic effect for those not yet in possession of a copy, however, on the flip side, it means that should you wish to part out your copy down the line, you can sell it for profit. However, that profit may very well be absorbed by the fact that you are reinvesting the money in equally inflated items, regardless of the overall outlay.

However, if you're so adamant on being there "BITD", you'd already have a copy of all your favourite Neo titles already, and price inflation wouldn't be an issue anyway, because you were there first...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Low 700's shipped. I really wanted to wait to see something appear in the mid to high 5's, but after years of logging in here an hour too late each time a MOTW went up for sale, I finally gave in and paid high. It was a combo between "damn it I've been looking and waiting for over five years" and an awesome mint copy with mint manual / mint reg card / near mint insert and cart.

So all in all I am happy with it. But It's the only cart out of my collection I paid a premium for

I'm guilty for paying premium on some of the stuff I own as well. I've always wanted to add a MOTW to my collection but I can't see paying that much for one. Ninja Masters is another home cart I always wanted but the prices are ridiculous. I think I'm done with buying home cart games unless I find the games I want at good prices.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'm guilty for paying premium on some of the stuff I own as well. I've always wanted to add a MOTW to my collection but I can't see paying that much for one. Ninja Masters is another home cart I always wanted but the prices are ridiculous. I think I'm done with buying home cart games unless I find the games I want at good prices.

Yeah it certainly stung a bit when I paid for it haha. But the way I look at it is A) it's a one off thing B) the amount of time I spend playing it over the years means it's actually cheap per hour of enjoyment and C) I've gotten such good deals for under market value on a lot of my collection, overpaying once won't kill me

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I intend to collect as many AES cartridges as I can up to $200/cart. I do not believe I can ever obtain a single Metal Slug home cartridge without fear or skeptcism of it being fake, so much so that i'm considering a conversion, but one that's made with non-sacc'd carts. With the AF3, from what I understand, is that we're seeing most of components can be reproduced. Although that probably won't happen either, but who knows, maybe i'll hit the jackpot and I'll be able to afford it. For now though, i'm hopping on that MVS gravytrain

Even if you can afford a metal slug, you'll be hard pressed to find a seller willing to part with it

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Everything must be included.
you don't need the Neo Geo sticker (or manual baggy) for it to be a complete game, IMO. A complete game is case, insert, cartridge w/label, manual.

Last edited: