Getting back into collecting.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
OSSC is the upscaler I need to get rid of now. I can't be bothered setting up the timing. The Retrotink 5X is mostly automatic.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Just buy a mister fpga and play in hdmi. There is no reason to own a physical neo geo these days.
😂

ALL physical entertainment media is superfluous and redundant in 2023. All of it. Every drop. There is no need to own any of it - it's all preference and how you want to spend your money to get the exact experience you want.

Let people have their fun.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
😂

ALL physical entertainment media is superfluous and redundant in 2023. All of it. Every drop. There is no need to own any of it - it's all preference and how you want to spend your money to get the exact experience you want.

Most physical media doesn't cost hundreds to thousands of dollars a hit for an average experience.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Most physical media doesn't cost hundreds to thousands of dollars a hit for an average experience.
Lol - Emulation isn't a new concept - software or FPGA based. That's my point. Gamers are well aware of these devices, products, and solutions yet still make the plunge. Lord, this forum has an entire thread with hundreds of pages of us showing off our ridiculous, expensive shit. We all "waste" money in different ways - that's all. 😉

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Even in the old days, saying ‘I already got teh r0m’ was a way to bust collector balls on their wonderful just released copy of Metal Slug 4… MiSTer is just the latest way to do it.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hey everyone.

After around a decade I have decided that I want to get back into the Neo. I had a decent AES and MVS collection that I stupidly had to sell years back. I am shocked how much prices have gone through the roof!

I am looking for a good quality modded AES that I will be using on my 75" 4K TV so the standard video output on a stock unit would be less than adequate. I haven't really found any options other than Neotropolis. I have done business with them before and have been very happy. The question is do I want to drop a grand on a system?

Any advice or ideas on how to get back into the scene without destroying my bank account would be much appreciated!

Unless you’re 1000 times richer than you were when you sold it all I’d quit now. There is no affordable/sane path to Neo ownership anymore. Quit before you start.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
😂

You’ve been playing too many video games. I have easily 100s of items in my movie and record collections that aren’t available anywhere else. Not on Spotify, not on YouTube, nowhere.

Games are over but the entire world hasn’t been “dumped” yet.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
😂

I think a lot of people are buying physical in the event the game is delisted or removed. Which is valid, but also just a way to justify buying more stuff.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Don't get me started on physical releases of store stuff holy shit

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
In my experience, the OSSC is more compatible with the slightly-off spec Neo Geo hardware than the RetroTink-5X. I have to keep an OSSC around specifically because neither my AES or CMVS will work through my RetroTink.

+1 to go the MiSTer route though if you just want to play Neo Geo games without any of the headache or cost involved with OG hardware or cartridges.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Also speaking from experience as some one who has sold and re-bought their Neo collection a couple of times over the years the returns are diminishing. You're never going to recapture the feelings of when you originally collected decades ago.

Are you really going to get thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of games that initially cost you a fraction of that? Not only that but it's also all old-hat now, nothing is going to surprise you. They're the same games they always were.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Also speaking from experience as some one who has sold and re-bought their Neo collection a couple of times over the years the returns are diminishing. You're never going to recapture the feelings of when you originally collected decades ago.

Are you really going to get thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of games that initially cost you a fraction of that? Not only that but it's also all old-hat now, nothing is going to surprise you. They're the same games they always were.
These were my exact feelings this final go round with collecting AES. No excitement left.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
In my experience, the OSSC is more compatible with the slightly-off spec Neo Geo hardware than the RetroTink-5X. I have to keep an OSSC around specifically because neither my AES or CMVS will work through my RetroTink.
Yes, but on the other hand if you have a fussy TV that won't tolerate the Neo's refresh rate or the OSSC's output resolutions, the Retrotink can help with that.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I think it's more about curated now, rather than having the most of something.
Also, the Limited Edition stuff is all trash. The retro stores give a lot of that stuff away. No one wants stickers, OSTs, and statues.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Also, the Limited Edition stuff is all trash. The retro stores give a lot of that stuff away. No one wants stickers, OSTs, and statues.
No idea who has room for that junk. You always see "limited" or "collector" edition shit these days that was released in hundreds of thousands and is just femme-repellants

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Limited editions of mainstream games that come in a giant box or whatever, yeah for sure. Some of that indie Limited junk sells for a lot in the secondhand market.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Bring the DRM, let it wash over the nerds who worry about whether they can play a PS3 game in 2037

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Bring the DRM, let it wash over the nerds who worry about whether they can play a PS3 game in 2037

ey! you trying to screw up my retirement plan. I'll get around to those 10,000s games eventually.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
On the other hand, if you don't buy an AES, then you will never again know the awesome feel of chunking those luxurious and generous sized carts into the cart slot. Each one, a testament to hundreds or even thousands of hours from a team of young artists and coders, slaving away in Japan late into the night throughout the 90s in order to present you with a detailed and complex thesis about how good and fluid a 2D game on 1980s hardware can be. You know well that other 90s consoles with their tiny carts are barely even a pale imitation of the AES, and can barely hope to do a game that is 1/10 as impressive. Each single character in a king of fighters game has literally hundreds of sprites, even the bullshit characters you never play as like Hinako in King of Fighters 2000. For all of the advancements in technology and development tools, you know that no one is really making games like this, with such incredible hand drawn pixel art and fulsome animation, and probably won't, ever again. There is no longer a mass market for it and the public taste has moved on. But that doesn't matter to you. You know that the AES is part spectacle, part art collection, and is imbued with the essence and fantastic energy of 1990s Japanese youth culture. The fact that you can hold one of these fantastic works in your hands, let alone play it as a perfect and lossless premium arcade to home conversation, is a rare situation where you are experiencing something that practically has no right to exist. SNK beat their brains out and put the company into a kamikaze dive to give you this experience. It is an incredible honor just to own an AES and pay your respects to their video game banzai charge... You KNOW what to do...