Getting (really) DRUNK for 99 cents...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So I was grocery shopping at the 99c store and out of the corner of my eye I see a huge bottle of pancake syrup, only it's not really pancake syrup- it's "cooking wine". I sort of do a double take, thinking: "they aren't really selling a GALLON jug of booze here for 99 cents are they?" Well it turns out they ARE selling a giant jug of wine for a dollar, but that's not all- it's not just regular wine but 17% alcohol content fortified wine ...a gallon of it for 99c.

This is like 3 bottles of "Night Train" or "Thunderbird" grade alcohol for a dollar. One bottle of Night Train used to cost me $2.99 back in the late 1990s, and here it is 2019 and they're selling the same shit for what amounts to about 33c a bottle!

I really wanted to buy that shit, not even to drink it- just to have it for the novelty, lol. If I were having a party, on the other hand...
The reason it's so cheap, is because it's being sold as a "cooking wine". So, that would mean it wouldn't have the taxes on it, that alcohol drinks normally have.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My plan is to teach my daughters how to make their own hooch before they go to college. Then they don't have to worry about Cooking Sherry, Shady Gas Stations, Fake ID's and all that gobbly gook.

Sugar+Yeast+Warm Bucket.

I wish I knew how easy it was when I went to college.

Or, you are just preparing them for prison. Make your own toilet hooch.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The best way to save money on alcohol is to .... not drink.

I've been on a 30 days challenge. It's ending this Saturday, the amount of money saved is unreal, not to mention the lack of hangovers.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I've been on a 30 days challenge. It's ending this Saturday, the amount of money saved is unreal, not to mention the lack of hangovers.
Alcohol is one of the few drugs that is actually physically dangerous to abruptly stop. People have died.

Also, it's funny seeing stage try to divert attention from the obvious conclusion that he is neobuyer by deflecting onto someone else.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Or, you are just preparing them for prison. Make your own toilet hooch.

My brother in law was the low guy on the totem pole. His job was to spend all day with the bag to keep it warm.

Free Beer is the best beer.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Alcohol is one of the few drugs that is actually physically dangerous to abruptly stop. People have died.

I didn't drink like that. I think that's more so the case for everyday-high-quantity drinkers.

I just like getting drunk once a week with other days here and there just catching a light buzz.

Last edited:

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
You CAN drink cooking wine/sherry- it's just low-quality Sherry with a lot of salt/sodium added to it. TV chefs have been saying for years that it's a rip-off because it's generally just crap Sherry and it's much better just to buy Sherry or wine you like and use that. If it's undrinkable, then why the need for this?:

https://www.rehabcenter.net/drinking-cooking-sherry/

I am mostly just calling to attention what a trip it is that you can buy enough booze to get VERY wasted for 99c and that it's being sold as a 'food item' so teens can buy it, oh- and you can buy it with fucking food stamps!

Oh- and as of yesterday the 99c store near me is sold out of it, lol.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
You CAN drink cooking wine/sherry- it's just low-quality Sherry with a lot of salt/sodium added to it. TV chefs have been saying for years that it's a rip-off because it's generally just crap Sherry and it's much better just to buy Sherry or wine you like and use that. If it's undrinkable, then why the need for this?:

https://www.rehabcenter.net/drinking-cooking-sherry/

I am mostly just calling to attention what a trip it is that you can buy enough booze to get VERY wasted for 99c and that it's being sold as a 'food item' so teens can buy it, oh- and you can buy it with fucking food stamps!

Oh- and as of yesterday the 99c store near me is sold out of it, lol.

The US should revise the drinking age anyway. Why the fuck is it still 21?

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
99c a gallon? Rebottle it as fancy shit and sell it at a huge markup.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
The US should revise the drinking age anyway. Why the fuck is it still 21?

Apparently we tried that during the Vietnam War. The argument was if you were old enough to die for your country but not old enough to drink booze then something was not adding up. I think they repealed those laws because of the HUGE increase in youth drunkenness.

To be fair... I think might drown myself in alcohol if I went to war and saw all those things as well.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
A guy I went to HS used to make his own hard cider prison style. He'd just buy a gallon of regular cider, let it ferment and strain out the mold and debris. It smelled like vinegar, paint stripper and motto apple juice.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
OP, that jug you purchased is a high level example of darwinism.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
OP, that jug you purchased is a high level example of darwinism.

Maybe I should have been clearer, I didn't purchase the stuff, I currently live with 3 roommates in a small house and it would be really weird for me to come home with a gallon plastic jug of cooking wine, lol.

When I do drink solo these days, which is rarely, if I go dirt cheap I go vodka and mix. But it's a lot more fun to wait for celebration times and get shit faced with friends who are also getting blotto in a no driving environment. I live in Southern California, you have to drive practically everywhere.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Why do you live with three roommates

Because the going rent for a studio apartment in the greater Los Angeles area has gone upwards of 1,100 a month. I'm saving and waiting for an opportunity to get a sweet deal. Honestly, atm it's worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
$1,100 USD a month is my mortgage payment.....

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
People wonder why others are leaving California. That cost of living is insane.

Really? Lach’s mortgage payment is actually low compared to Aussie standards. Most people would be double that or even more.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Really? Lach’s mortgage payment is actually low compared to Aussie standards. Most people would be double that or even more.

By US standards California city cost of living is high.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
getting a bit personal there marky, might as well ask him how often he goes downtown ffs