glitched Sprites on kof98

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Had this KOF98 cartridge for almost 2 decades, probably my most played MVS game as its used in small local tournaments, last night I was greeted with this, some characters now display these vertical lines, it happens when you choose Iroi, Yashiro and a few others.

what could be causing this?

what I have tried so far:

-Tried several diferent MVS motherboards.
-opened it up and cleaned the contacts
-reflowed solder on all maskroms.

picture:
UNwutDi.jpg

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Just to rule things out, have you tried every time on the same tv? It would be weird but who knows...

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Just to rule things out, have you tried every time on the same tv? It would be weird but who knows...
I have tried different cabinets equipped with MVS motherboards as I don't have a working supergun atm.

Probably a bad NEO-ZMC or a bad C ROM

Is there a way to know which one is causing this going by the characters that show glitches??

--Iori, Yashiro, Shermie, Chris, Chang, Choi, Kim, Yamazaki, Blue Mary, Billy Kane.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
A quick and dirty way to check C Roms would be to run the game in an emulator and replace one C rom with a dummy file, doing all 8 until you find the one with all those characters. Hopefully it’s just one bad C rom and not several

if the issue seems to happen to Most or all of the C roms, then it could be the NEO-ZMC

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
A quick and dirty way to check C Roms would be to run the game in an emulator and replace one C rom with a dummy file, doing all 8 until you find the one with all those characters. Hopefully it’s just one bad C rom and not several

if the issue seems to happen to Most or all of the C roms, then it could be the NEO-ZMC
I did this, replaced c6 and c5 with dummy files and it seems that those two affect the sprites from the characters I mentioned before, Iori, new face team, Korea team and Outlaw team.

I will also try to reflow the solder on the NEO-ZMC smd and test.