God of War: Chains of Olympus - YOWZA!

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Eldios said:
Oh man you are missing out. The GoW titles are not only two of the best games in the entire PS2 library, but two of the best games out of the entire last gen.

I played through this within a few days and I really don't know how I missed out on this series. I've loved Greek Mythology since I was little, and I love this style of game, I'm baffled that it's taken me this long to play any.

As far as the length, it is a little short, but the ride is a great one. I had no idea I was at the end until I decided to see how much I had left and I was already at the final battle with Persephone. I was also surprised at the level of difficulty on normal. I breezed through it and I was amazed to see people looking for help with some of the "puzzles" on other boards. Trying to play through the challenge levels now and I'm stuck on 4.

Payday's this week and my birthday's Saturday, I'll have GoW 1&2 by week's end and I'm spending the weekend engrossed in them, the wife can visit her parents.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
OmegaSaber said:
I played through this within a few days and I really don't know how I missed out on this series. I've loved Greek Mythology since I was little, and I love this style of game, I'm baffled that it's taken me this long to play any.

As far as the length, it is a little short, but the ride is a great one. I had no idea I was at the end until I decided to see how much I had left and I was already at the final battle with Persephone. I was also surprised at the level of difficulty on normal. I breezed through it and I was amazed to see people looking for help with some of the "puzzles" on other boards. Trying to play through the challenge levels now and I'm stuck on 4.

Payday's this week and my birthday's Saturday, I'll have GoW 1&2 by week's end and I'm spending the weekend engrossed in them, the wife can visit her parents.

GOod sending the wifey to see her parents, sneaky I like it.;)

BIG

sony fanboy
coo is def well worth the wait/hype.

i'm about halfway through, and all i can say is wow.

the story and gameplay are second to none, and the voiceovers are surprisingly decent as well.

anyone want to sell me their c0pies of gow1&2 on the cheap?

;)

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
BIG said:
coo is def well worth the wait/hype.

i'm about halfway through, and all i can say is wow.

the story and gameplay are second to none, and the voiceovers are surprisingly decent as well.

anyone want to sell me their c0pies of gow1&2 on the cheap?

;)

Pt 1 is a greatest hits title...you can probably find really cheap new at Walmart or the like. Pt 2 is probably on the way to the same. I'll be buying both again soon...had rented them way back when, but I think they probably deserve a purchase.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
This is a great game, but the fucker is over a gig in space!

BIG

sony fanboy
Darklighterx said:
This is a great game, but the fucker is over a gig in space!

:emb:

have you tried compressing it?

if so, how does it play? any lag?

bulletnyourass

noble trader
BIG said:

ROMulan :D

Just kidding. I take it that the finished product is worthy of purchase, correct?

Phillip

BIG

sony fanboy
Bulletnyourass said:
ROMulan :D

Just kidding. I take it that the finished product is worthy of purchase, correct?

Phillip

yeah, def worth the money.

and yes, i already have teh rom.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I love the GoW series and want this one badly, but, I think I will wait for the PS2 port like I did with Twisted Metal Head On, Silent Hill Origins and the GTA games. playing games on PSP cramps my hands and kinks my damn neck. At least if I owned a PSP slim I could save my neck some pain and play it on the TV. :P I also found it easier on my hands with a thing I bought off of ebay that turns the PSP into a PS2 type of controller with extra battery support...that made playin games on the PSP a bit more fun. But still would be better if I could use the DS3 on the PSP or something. I cant stand the analog nub.

BIG

sony fanboy
Fakk2 said:
I love the GoW series and want this one badly, but, I think I will wait for the PS2 port like I did with Twisted Metal Head On, Silent Hill Origins and the GTA games. playing games on PSP cramps my hands and kinks my damn neck. At least if I owned a PSP slim I could save my neck some pain and play it on the TV. :P I also found it easier on my hands with a thing I bought off of ebay that turns the PSP into a PS2 type of controller with extra battery support...that made playin games on the PSP a bit more fun. But still would be better if I could use the DS3 on the PSP or something. I cant stand the analog nub.
how do the ports look on the ps2?

do they clean up the graphics or hike up the res?

Fakk2

BIG said:
how do the ports look on the ps2?

do they clean up the graphics or hike up the res?

I dunno, I play them on my PS3 upconverted to 1080p using HDMI, so IMO of coarse they look and sound better. But the games themselves..GTAs just look like straight ports but are still more fun to play on an actual console in surround sound using a DS3 controller, but Silent Hill Origins seems to look better IMO, and Konami did say they made it look better on PS2 by improving some elements of the game, and Twisted Metal Head On does indeed look better and has 4 extra levels from the unreleased Twisted Metal Black 2 plus a ton of other extra content. So IMO the ports were definately worth it for me. I love playing them on my 60GB PS3. :) God of War COO and Ratchet and Clank Size Matters will be great ports I bet since they are done by insomniac and sony. :) Lumines was also a great PSP port to PS2 system. I wish they would port over the Katamari Damacy game on PSP to PS2 already. :P

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
God Of War 2 is easily the best looking PS2 game out there, it even has a "HD" Mode. Not exactly a full HD mode its something to do with full buffers? or something.

But anyway put in it in ya PS3 and put on the HD cheat looks fucking AWESOME!

Fakk2

NeoDragoN said:
God Of War 2 is easily the best looking PS2 game out there, it even has a "HD" Mode. Not exactly a full HD mode its something to do with full buffers? or something.

But anyway put in it in ya PS3 and put on the HD cheat looks fucking AWESOME!

I guess I never noticed any HD cheats...what do you mean? It has Progressive scan 480p mode... the only PS2 games that I know of that support true 1080i modes are Tourist Trophy and Gran Turismo 4...both of which look better than GoW 2, but I understand what you mean when you say GoW2 looks the best, overall its presentation is the best and it was done with great detail. Still though GT4 and Tourist Trophy are in actual High Definition so IMO they look better than GoW2. Does GoW2 have some kind of hidden option for 1080i?

BIG

sony fanboy
Fakk2 said:
I guess I never noticed any HD cheats...what do you mean? It has Progressive scan 480p mode... the only PS2 games that I know of that support true 1080i modes are Tourist Trophy and Gran Turismo 4...both of which look better than GoW 2, but I understand what you mean when you say GoW2 looks the best, overall its presentation is the best and it was done with great detail. Still though GT4 and Tourist Trophy are in actual High Definition so IMO they look better than GoW2. Does GoW2 have some kind of hidden option for 1080i?

there's a code that enables a higher resolution...something along the lines of 720p.

Fakk2

BIG said:
there's a code that enables a higher resolution...something along the lines of 720p.

care to tell me the code. LOL for pete sakes.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
BIG said:

Compressed it to a .cso. No lag baby! This game is intense for a handheld game!

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just beat the game. Portable masterpiece. Wish it was a little longer, but incredible experience nevertheless. Cannot wait for GoW III. I will go out on a limb and say that is game of the year 2009 and will probably be the last game of the series. I would not mind seeing a PS2 port of Chains of Olympus. Would definitely pick it up.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Average Joe said:
Make sure once everyone beats GoW they get Patapon.

Seconded! Patapon is fantastic, and it's only twenty bucks.

Anyways, I just beat GoW:COO myself last night. I have to admit, for a long time, I thought the series was good, but overrated. But some time during COO, it just gelled for me, and I really started to love it. So even though I used to own GoW1, and I did beat it, I think I'll go back and grab it along with GoW2. I think I'll enjoy 'em a lot more now that I have more appreciation for the series.

As a final note, I also thought the difficulty curve in this game was spot-on. Maybe it's cause I've played Ninja Gaiden, so now I'm used to a higher level of challenge, but on normal mode, I thought it had just enough challenge to it without getting into the realm of frustration. I think that's probably the hardest thing to pull off when making these games, so kudos to the delevoper.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
BUMP, late to the party.

Having finished GoW1 yesterday, I figured I'd play through CoO before moving on to GoW2.

Good series. Some of the better boss fights in gaming that I've ever experienced.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
BUMP, late to the party.

Having finished GoW1 yesterday, I figured I'd play through CoO before moving on to GoW2.

Good series. Some of the better boss fights in gaming that I've ever experienced.

Chains of Olympus is a fine game. Too short, but definitely one of the best portable action games around. Ready at Dawn definitely knows/knew how to make the PSP sing like few developers can. Like the original, the few boss fights will make you wish there were more of them, but GoW2 has them in spades, and they never get boring.

Also, if you're old enough to remember the original Clash of the Titans, you'll appreciate Sony's piece of stunt casting in GoW2: they got Harry Hamlin to reprise his role as Perseus! :D How awesome is that?

I saw on your PSN status message that you got a PSP Go... what compelled you to get that, rather than a regular PSP?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I saw on your PSN status message that you got a PSP Go... what compelled you to get that, rather than a regular PSP?

I previously owned the 1000 model when the PSP first came out. Although I wouldn't call it fragile, the system felt clumsy in my hands. As a result I never wanted to take the PSP out of my house for fear of dropping it. Then there was the lack of games I wanted to play; I had Lumines, but nothing else interested me.

After getting a good look at the PSP Go that was on display at my local Best Buy I fell in love with the design. No UMD, no moving parts, equals less that can go wrong. Atleast, that's how my mind rationalizes the risk of leaving my house with the PSP Go when I refused to do so with an older PSP model.

So far I love it, with the only major negatives being battery life and memory space. On the lowest brightness setting and volume at a third I get roughly seven hours. I bought the maximum size M2 memory stick allowed (16GB) to use for PSOne Classics and other media, while using the Go's built-in 16GB for PSP games.

Now the North America PSOne downloadable library just needs to catch up to Japan's.

I want Einhander on the go!