God of War III

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
The colors seem very muted in that trailer, like everything has a haze of gray to it. I just don't know about GOWIII as after playing the demo I felt like I was just playing GOWII with better graphics and it just seemed tired to me.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Looks good. I still need to play God of War 2 though.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Just yesterday, after two years, I finally got past the spiked floor puzzle in the Temple of Phoenix level in GOWII...it got me really psyched to play GOWIII.

Can't wait.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Fuck yes. I have this game prepaid already, and I can't wait.

Unfortunately, I will be in Tokyo the day it comes out, so I will have to wait until I get home to play it. I figure it's a small price to pay to be in Tokyo again though.

Kratos is going to rip some fucking heads off. :vik:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
The colors seem very muted in that trailer, like everything has a haze of gray to it. I just don't know about GOWIII as after playing the demo I felt like I was just playing GOWII with better graphics and it just seemed tired to me.

What are you, nuts?

SSS

neo retired

it helps to dust off your monitor once in a while.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
this game is going to rule so hard-- the demo was amazing and you can be sure they havent even come close to revealing their hand yet.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm looking forward to seeing the Titans again. I loved that level where you climber up that Titan(was it Chronos?) in the desert in GOWII. The scope of size that this game has is just amazing.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Reserved the collector's edition today. The E3 2009 demo is amazing and really has me psyched for this game. I finished the God of War Collection on PS3 just after Christmas and was amazed by it. Really looking forward to God of War III. The poster they have at Gamestop is pretty nice looking too. Might pop down $5 at 7-11 to get the pre-order poster there as well. I'm going crazy with all the promotional DLC too.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
I don't know what it is, but I've never been impressed by the GoW series. It seems, to me, as if it were a generic brawler with fantastic graphics and lots of quicktime events that make you feel as if you are playing, but you actually aren't.

In all honestly, it looks really cool, but it never was fun to play for me.

Hence, I'm going to stick with Bayonetta (24 hours and still going strong).

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I don't know what it is, but I've never been impressed by the GoW series. It seems, to me, as if it were a generic brawler with fantastic graphics and lots of quicktime events that make you feel as if you are playing, but you actually aren't.

In all honestly, it looks really cool, but it never was fun to play for me.

Hence, I'm going to stick with Bayonetta (24 hours and still going strong).

True there are quicktime events but I don't think they are that much of a core of the game. I've also yet to play a game that does these events better and in a more fluid way.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
True there are quicktime events but I don't think they are that much of a core of the game. I've also yet to play a game that does these events better and in a more fluid way.

I think the point was more "why have quicktime events at all" rather than "who deals with them better?"

Bayonetta's ones are pretty crappy, for the most part, but they tend to be short or happen to come out of nowhere (a big gripe of mine). However, GoW's quicktime sequences tend to be long and extended in most cases (plenty of regular enemies use it). The coolest stuff in the game equates to "press this button now!" I mean, what the hell do I have a controller for if the game is going to do all the awesome stuff for me? Bayonetta doesn't patronize the player as often in that sense; I feel like I'm in control at all times during most combat sequences (excluding the crazy hair powers, but that's a finishing move and I can live with smashing a button as a coup de grâce - not as the essential way to killing an enemy).

Darksiders has much the same problem - all the cool stuff is left to cutscenes or "out of body" character events that have little or nothing to do with my input or even using any game mechanic the player has learned other than "press this button!" I imagine Dante's Inferno suffers such a fate as well (and perhaps to an even worse degree, as far as the button combos I saw went, where you actually died for failing to rotate a half circle on the analog stick - really?). Why not, instead, give me the real ability to kill the enemy? The Ninja Gaiden games, Team Ninja ones, are very good at this; cutscenes are simply cutscenes, and fighting is simply fighting. A fight isn't interrupt by "press this button" bullshit.

It just seems like hand-holding to me.

I should also probably say that I don't enjoy the GoW series very much, and I guarantee it'll be comparatively less challenging and rewarding than most of the action games that have come out in the past few months. If you like mindless gorefests, I guess it fits the bill.

Last edited:

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I think the point was more "why have quicktime events at all" rather than "who deals with them better?"

Bayonetta's ones are pretty crappy, for the most part, but they tend to be short or happen to come out of nowhere (a big gripe of mine). However, GoW's quicktime sequences tend to be long and extended in most cases (plenty of regular enemies use it). The coolest stuff in the game equates to "press this button now!" I mean, what the hell do I have a controller for if the game is going to do all the awesome stuff for me? Bayonetta doesn't patronize the player as often in that sense; I feel like I'm in control at all times during most combat sequences (excluding the crazy hair powers, but that's a finishing move and I can live with smashing a button as a coup de grâce - not as the essential way to killing an enemy).

Darksiders has much the same problem - all the cool stuff is left to cutscenes or "out of body" character events that have little or nothing to do with my input or even using any game mechanic the player has learned other than "press this button!" I imagine Dante's Inferno suffers such a fate as well (and perhaps to an even worse degree, as far as the button combos I saw went, where you actually died for failing to rotate a half circle on the analog stick - really?). Why not, instead, give me the real ability to kill the enemy? The Ninja Gaiden games, Team Ninja ones, are very good at this; cutscenes are simply cutscenes, and fighting is simply fighting. A fight isn't interrupt by "press this button" bullshit.

It just seems like hand-holding to me.

I should also probably say that I don't enjoy the GoW series very much, and I guarantee it'll be comparatively less challenging and rewarding than most of the action games that have come out in the past few months. If you like mindless gorefests, I guess it fits the bill.

I didn't play Bayonetta, never liked the demo so I can't comment on that.

I think GoW does an excellent job of giving the game that extra cinematic feel without being in the way of the gameplay. I fail to see how we could have all those awesome execute sequences if they weren't quicktimed. If they just played out, like you say Ninja Gaiden does, it would be even more boring. I guess its a matter of taste only. ;)

I hope GoW will offers several quicktime sequences for each enemy as the only weakness in my opinion is the same animations playing over and over again. GoWIII will be as challenging as you set the difficulty setting on. :)

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
If they just played out, like you say Ninja Gaiden does, it would be even more boring. I guess its a matter of taste only. ;)

Ninja Gaiden's super moves and finishers (Obliteration Techniques) are things to be worked for. They don't break game flow, and they serve an immediately useful purpose, as even the OT slashes can hit enemies in range. While I enjoy GoW, it hands them out like candy. It's no coincidence that Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation referred to the circle button in the games as "the 'Fuck You' button."

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
Ninja Gaiden's super moves and finishers (Obliteration Techniques) are things to be worked for. They don't break game flow, and they serve an immediately useful purpose, as even the OT slashes can hit enemies in range. While I enjoy GoW, it hands them out like candy. It's no coincidence that Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation referred to the circle button in the games as "the 'Fuck You' button."

The OT also makes you invincible for a short time - it's basically required to get through NGII, the Xbox 360 edition at least.

I hear Sigma 2 is much better in terms of this.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
in some respects, the game looks great
in others, terrible---namely the color
lack thereof...really
honestly, i cant imagine this game topping bayonetta...and it probly wont

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
While I was taken back by the athestics of GoW, the gameplay to me was actually rather boring.

It was one of those games where I had more fun watching someone else play it than doing it myself.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Gameplay and Aesthetics? No chance.

It doesn't help that Kratos has got his ass hidden under that sarong thing there — otherwise maybe he'd give Bayonetta a run for her money, aesthetics-wise. :lolz: