"Gold" MVS-2-19 info needed!

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
ORIGINAL TOPIC:

MVS-4-25 specs and info needed!

THANKS FOR THE INFO! PLEASE SEE "GOLD" CAB QUESTIONS BELOW!

I'm looking to buy an original 4 slot, model MVS-4-25. I'm looking for any information people might have on the machine, such as:

Dimension: Height, width, depth etc. - need to know if I can fit this in our family room (actually, if it will fit through our side door!)

Weight: How much? This is more for shipping but also in the event I have it unloaded on our main floor how many friends to I need to bribe with beer and pizza to get it down our stairs?

Shipping: Not sure yet what the seller is going to look for or how he is going to ship it. Would like info on setting up my own shipping in the event I can get it done cheaper and better (I'm worried about the whole wrapping/packing/palletting thing if the seller does it). So any tips on shippers, who to use etc. and what to look or look out for.

Any help, comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
There are two diferent types of 4 slots. The one all red cab that looks like a 2 slot, or the segmented black and red with the really huge marquee.

I have the segmented black and red.

It's 25 1/2" wide (should fit through almost any door) 76" tall, and at the deepest point (from front of control panel to back) is 36 1/2". As for weight, I'd have to guess around 250 with monitor. I can load and unload it into the bed of a pickup myself. If you plan to move it down stairs, take out the monitor.

Not only will this unload about 75 pounds of top end weight, but prevent monitor damage incase the unit gets jolted. Removing the monitor is rather painless. Unlock the control panel and flip down, slide out glass. Remove glass retaining wood strips and the cardboard bezel. Unscrew the small screws from the monitor's universal mount (should be six, 3 on top and bottom). Take off the small wood panel from the back side of cab that is level with the monitor. Unhook, ground, AC, and video in. Monitor should now be free. While one person grabs the monitor from the front and pulls out, have someone on the backside assiting by pushing the frame.

Last edited:

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Sorry about that, didn't realize the four slots share the same model number. It's the model with the speakers in the marquee:

MVS-4-25v3b.jpg

My guess is that's the "segmented black and red with the really huge marquee" one you are referring too, and that's the one I'm looking to buy.

Thanks so much for the info on it.

Shipping: Anybody have any good shippers for arcade cabinets they could recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
TMOSteel said:
Weight: How much? This is more for shipping but also in the event I have it unloaded on our main floor how many friends to I need to bribe with beer and pizza to get it down our stairs?

HEAVY. I have that exact same cab. It took me, 2 friends, and my dad, a total of 4 people to push it up the stairs. Get a lot of beer and pizza. That has nothing to do with the cab, just get beer and pizza.

Oh, you want to get it down the stairs? That might be even harder. Personally I have no idea how I'm going to get my cab downstairs when its time to move. I think there's some specific sort of dolly that should help in such a situation. billd420 mentioned it to me one time, but i forgot what it is.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Shipping =Murder

I'd look for a machine(Arcade Auction) in your area for pick-up..

Go figure I got my two slot from a Pinball Show..

I recommend 4 people too..or at three because two on the top side of the lift cart doesn't work well at times.(depends on how wide the stairs are)
I brought all 6 of my cabs in with just my uncle or dad....I had a friend attempt to help me and my uncle bring in the Tekken 3 cab and all he really did was get in the way/getting caught up on side of the cab trying to get a spot to grab..

With a wheel cart use straps to tie it to the cart..(tall wheel cart type preferred)

I just brought in my two slot with my dad..Up my back stairs that have lips to them..(no straps)..I felt like being a Hero..
My dad was pushing while I was pulling from above and as I'd get the cab up over the lip of the stairs the top would hit me in the face and head.:loco: .I felt like I was in a fight,I kept seeing stars.. :lolz:

Two dude next doors wanted to help(hey,what game is that) but there was no room on the stairs for them to help/grab anything..

Miscstuff071.jpg

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
As it turns out, the 4 slot I had my eye on was too good to be true. A few phone calls and the sale pretty much fell apart, once I found out that what was pictured wasn't what they had to sell.

Long story short I emailed the other bidders about the whole deal, but in the end someone is gonna be pissed (glad it's not me).

So going forward something came my way completely out of the blue: one of the "gold" MVS-2-19 2 slots:

Neo_GOLD.jpg

Any idea of a fair price for one of these in good condition? (US $$$)

Honestly, this was never on my list of cabs to own, but if the price is right I may just have to give it some serious thought. It's also only about 20 minutes from where I live so there is no need to have it shipped.

Anything to look for, or look out for on these cabs?

:A: :B: :C: :D:

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I got my gold for 350$ locally picked up. It only weighs in at about 200lbs max. The only thing that sucks about it is the monitor is small (19") and with the cab being so light it tends to move or rock a little which can reset your game sometimes. I love mine, but if I would have got my big red (like the one you were originally gonna get) first, the gold would have never found it's way into my home. Not that I don't love the gold cab, it's just hard to go down to a 19" monitor from a 25".

2 people max is all you need to move it. And it will fit through any door. It is not big at all.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Paid $250.00 for mine,pick up...replaced the power supply/cp overlay and it's all good..

Great Cab,...go for it...:buttrock:

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Here are some pics of the Gold cab I took today:

PIC 1

PIC 2

Not exactly the condition I was expecting as this was a "keeper" cab from a former arcade owner (something about him planning on putting it in his basement someday).

My biggest concern on this is the condition of the overlay. I have only seen these come up on eBay once in a blue moon for this model. Anybody know a parts source for this model Neo? Maybe a reproduction overlay?

Everything else looks OK, just needs some cleaning up and TLC so this might be a nice project.

One other thing: is the marquee supposed to light up?

Any opinions or suggestions on restoring this cab are welcomed.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
chris1 said:

chris1-

You're almost making this too easy for me. I emailed the seller and also shot him a message via eBay.

If the overlay can be replaced, this just might work. I didn't see anything else on this cab that was out of my league on repairing or replacing.

Since you've got one of these cabs, is the marquee supposed to light up? This one doesn't so I was just curious.

Thanks again for all the info.

-Michael

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
chris1 said:
It's been awhile since I bought the replacement....I'm not sure if the person still sells/makes them.

The holes have to be cut and very carefully...

chris1-

He's got it, and the marquee too. So you were happy with the quality of the reproduction?

Also, another stupid question here but the overlay is what, a sheet of plastic or laminate of some kind? And is there supposed to be a sheet of Plexiglas over it, to protect it? I'm a little confused in this area, sorry.

-Michael

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
TMOSteel said:
chris1-

He's got it, and the marquee too. So you were happy with the quality of the reproduction?

Also, another stupid question here but the overlay is what, a sheet of plastic or laminate of some kind? And is there supposed to be a sheet of Plexiglas over it, to protect it? I'm a little confused in this area, sorry.

-Michael

I was happy with the quality,oh yea...It looks great once on the cab..Man does it change the appearance of the cab..

I really don't know how to describe the overlay ....It's I guess a laminate of some kind..Sorta like a thick picture..
It seems to have a clear sheet of plastic over a laminate...I feels like plastic though..
The reason the holes have to be cut right is because the clear sheet of plastic ontop can get pulled off or bubbly..(button holes and screw holes)
I found clear glue a solution to that problem though..

The outer edges are clear but on painted black cp you don't see it.....And it's very susceptible to scratches(me keeps kids away from the cp)..though I don't see any on mine I can tell it's softer then a original type.

The hardest thing for me was cutting the holes without making a mistake...

Nonetheless: this is the Only way to get this CP so I'm super happy with it...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
When I first installed it..Back around 04-15-2004..And it still looks the same..
mvs4.jpg

2005_1109_191350AA.jpg

WOODY_022.jpg

zmn.jpg

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Well, thanks to chris1, I was able to pick up a reproduction overlay and marquee. I'll post some pics as soon as I get some free time.

The quality on the overlay isn't bad, but it's not an "exact" copy. It's a little off in spots as far as the lines and lettering, but at least it's brand new. I have not compared the color of the gold to see if it matches up to the original, since my MVS is currently under wraps in the garage until I have time to get to it (probably this weekend).

The marquee is another story, and I don't think I would use it to replace the one I have. The cutting for the clear windows is way off (like someone had the shakes when they used an x-acto knife or something) and it's a little "wobbly" instead of being perfectly flat. And no slots on the back to hold the title cards. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I have found a place on the 'net that is supposed to be able to restore them (original overlays, original marquees) (link to follow) so I might shoot them an email for some info.

On a side note, does anybody know what company manufactured the gold cabs for SNK? I'm wondering if they are still in business and if there is any way to track them down.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Anybody?

I have searched for MVS info here and on the 'net but no hits on who actually made any of the MVS machines for SNK, let alone the Gold cab I have.

I can't see that SNK made these themselves, at least not in the U.S. I know there was a post about who made the MVS cabs on these boards at one time but I can't remember the topic it was in.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
I dunno about the manufacturer question, but to pick up another one about the plastic on the control panel:

If you need to replace it, buy Lexan. It's more expensive, but is more flexible and WAY easier to cut and drill without the plastic cracking. Well worth the small extra price. Easiest way to get the holes in the correct place is to drill two of the corner bolt holes that hold the lexan onto the CP, and then trace the holes onto the back.

Oh, and you don't have to worry too much about making a big mistake with button holes -- there's about 1/16 inch of leeway around buttons (assuming the holes are drilled with a 1 1/8" drill bit) so if the holes are off juuuuust a little bit, nobody'll notice.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
what company manufactured the gold cabs for SNK

I made a topic a long time ago asking a similar question..(I can't find it)

On the back of my Gold cab says.

3KOAMCompany.jpg

3 Koam Company

There is another sticked on the right side that's washed out..(I can see the word manufactured)

I'm pretty sure the sticker above is the same sticker that is on the back of my big red 4 slot..

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
GoldCabSticker.jpg

Here's what's on the back of my Gold Cab. It was really hard to get a picture because it's a foil sticker. There is also a date written in black marker on the inside. Official SNK USA material, good stuff.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
chris1 said:
3KOAMCompany.jpg

3 Koam Company

3-KOAM COMPANY, thanks. This might be the post I was thinking of:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87980

That name helped me Google it, thanks. Don't think my cab has any of those stickers left on it, so I appreciate everybody's help.

Unfortunately, if 3-KOAM was the company that made the cabs for SNK, it doesn't look like they are around anymore. That phone number has also been disconnected. I did find several links that talked about tax issues, so maybe they went under:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...ument+3-KOAM+Company&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

Guess that leaves me with using the aftermarket overlay unless I can find somebody to make a more accurate reproduction. This was the company I mentioned that does restoration and reproduction work:

http://www.classicarcadegrafix.com/

...which is now out of the "reproduction and restoration" business. They will however sell me a book that tells me how to do this on my own.

I had hoped to customize my cab, similar to the Blue Neo cab demirichris had done:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151700

Basically, I was looking to remove the wood grain and replace it with gold metallic paint, matching the overlay color (the original is metallic and not just a "gold" color). Then some custom SNK graphic on the side, in black. Problem is, the aftermarket one isn't really metallic, it's just more a gold color.