Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder...a perfect game?

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Good game but I preferred the Capcom D&D beat em ups to this one.

koki

n00b
Almost.. but not perfect. The obvious downside is repetitive enemy through out the game. I'm owning RODA pcb but the sound is vanished.
My personal Top 3 Beat'em up follows;
#1 Final Fight
#2 Tenchi Wo Kurau II
#3 AVP (CPS-2)

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I know you're hungry for bacon, but bumping his ancient threads isn't going to bring him back.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Almost.. but not perfect. The obvious downside is repetitive enemy through out the game. I'm owning RODA pcb but the sound is vanished.
My personal Top 3 Beat'em up follows;
#1 Final Fight
#2 Tenchi Wo Kurau II
#3 AVP (CPS-2)
Kooki koki

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Still have my Golden Axe RODA PCB. Need to get around to fixing my Arabian Fight

Last edited:

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Fun pick-up-and-play game, with excellent visuals for its time, but the biggest drawbacks are:

1) The magic system is majorly downgraded from previous titles. The giant needs to collect something like 13 potions just to do his magic attack, unlike in previous GA titles where clearing the screen with a weak spell was at least as important as damage output. I miss the system where the amount of pots you collect upgrades the spells, instead of just one spell for each character.

2) Ridiculously unbalanced characters. Trix is an absolute beast; quickest attacks, quickest pickup animation (which gets overlooked compared to how slow the centaur and giant take to pick up magic pots/health), best dash attack, healing magic, most reliable special attack, smallest hitbox...Stern comes in second, and the giant and centaur are borderline useless with crappy range, slow item pickup speed, and enormous hitboxes.

3) What's the point of offering different paths if you have to go back and play every level? Capcom's D&D titles implemented this the right way.

4) Disappointingly high amount of palette swaps and reused bosses.

I'd give it an 8/10 compared to your average beat-em-up. The sound effects are still the best the genre's ever had. Still pisses me off that you can seemingly never obtain the highest rank, even though Trix makes it pretty easy to 1cc.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fun pick-up-and-play game, with excellent visuals for its time, but the biggest drawbacks are:

1) The magic system is majorly downgraded from previous titles. The giant needs to collect something like 13 potions just to do his magic attack, unlike in previous GA titles where clearing the screen with a weak spell was at least as important as damage output. I miss the system where the amount of pots you collect upgrades the spells, instead of just one spell for each character.

2) Ridiculously unbalanced characters. Trix is an absolute beast; quickest attacks, quickest pickup animation (which gets overlooked compared to how slow the centaur and giant take to pick up magic pots/health), best dash attack, healing magic, most reliable special attack, smallest hitbox...Stern comes in second, and the giant and centaur are borderline useless with crappy range, slow item pickup speed, and enormous hitboxes.

3) What's the point of offering different paths if you have to go back and play every level? Capcom's D&D titles implemented this the right way.

4) Disappointingly high amount of palette swaps and reused bosses.

I'd give it an 8/10 compared to your average beat-em-up. The sound effects are still the best the genre's ever had. Still pisses me off that you can seemingly never obtain the highest rank, even though Trix makes it pretty easy to 1cc.
This was a great post, thanks for sharing.

Much like how the original Golden Axe was improved for the Genesis, it would've been nice if Sega ported and improved this to the Saturn. But no, we had to get The Duel. Which is a guilty pleasure of mine but come on.