Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder...a perfect game?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Hey bro, as always, dig your vids.
I used to own the pcb.
I really like the raw power that comes through in the game, it's very brazen, extravagant.
But as a game it's a bit of a mess and not great. To me at least. A great audio visual experience but not a great hack and slash

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Yeah I wish they had released this on Saturn, the fools.

Never played it, looks good.
Yeah, it's really a shame that it never had a Saturn port - would have been perfect. I picked up the Arcade 1UP cab earlier this year and have put a fair amount of time into it. It's a solid arcade beat-em-up. A bit better than the original Golden Axe mechanically, but the sprite work is definitely a league above the first game. Not the best brawler out there, but certainly solid and worth a play.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yeah, it's really a shame that it never had a Saturn port - would have been perfect. I picked up the Arcade 1UP cab earlier this year and have put a fair amount of time into it. It's a solid arcade beat-em-up. A bit better than the original Golden Axe mechanically, but the sprite work is definitely a league above the first game. Not the best brawler out there, but certainly solid and worth a play.
Saturn would have been the perfect platform for it for sure

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
It caught my eye in 90's early 00's when they dumped it and started emulating it.
It didn't work very well for along time though.
I had a PCB for it but it had issues I couldn't fix or get repaired and I sold it for the draughtboard that should have been working fine.
I finally played it maybe 10 years ago a couple times, need to play it more.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It caught my eye in 90's early 00's when they dumped it and started emulating it.
It didn't work very well for along time though.
I had a PCB for it but it had issues I couldn't fix or get repaired and I sold it for the draughtboard that should have been working fine.
I finally played it maybe 10 years ago a couple times, need to play it more.
def need to play it more

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I had a chance to play through this a couple times when I was fixing an audio problem for a friend's board. It was fun to play through. I am hoping that a System 32 core is developed for MiSTer. It would be pretty cool to play it on there, especially with the jamma boards that have been coming out for MiSTer lately.

Hairlesswookiee

just another sazae fake account
for AvP probably licensing
Yeah no doubt. I can't remember the source so don't hold me to it, but I remember reading something that reported it was at one point planned to be released on the Sega 32x of all consoles. It was of course cancelled before anything got made and my only guess can be because the 32x was a shitshow from the start and Sega was probably trying to direct resources to the Saturn.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
I had a chance to play through this a couple times when I was fixing an audio problem for a friend's board. It was fun to play through. I am hoping that a System 32 core is developed for MiSTer. It would be pretty cool to play it on there, especially with the jamma boards that have been coming out for MiSTer lately.
What is the cause of no audio on this board? Mine still plays fine but there’s no sound.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
What is the cause of no audio on this board? Mine still plays fine but there’s no sound.
Could be bad caps near the sound section. Could be a bad sound rom (I believe Sega separated sound roms from graphic / program roms but I’d have to check)

Could be lots of reasons

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Could be bad caps near the sound section. Could be a bad sound rom (I believe Sega separated sound roms from graphic / program roms but I’d have to check)

Could be lots of reasons
Yeah I’ve never really been able to get a definitive answer guess the only way to know is have someone more tech savvy than me take a look.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yeah I’ve never really been able to get a definitive answer guess the only way to know is have someone more tech savvy than me take a look.
yeah without having the board in front of me I can only guess. But its repairable for sure

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
If I recall correct, it was making sure that the jumpers were set correctly. I do not remember if they were or not, but after setting them according to what they should have been, the audio started working. It may have been an oxidized connection with one of the jumpers that was cleaned when I was moving jumpers around. I am trying to find the information I originally came across that pointed me in that direction, but no luck yet. If I find it, I will post the link. Sadly, I do not have the board as it was done for a friend.

Not sure if it would help, but try reseating the jumpers on the rom board to give it a fresh connection. The default settings are on page 29 of this manual if you need them... https://segaretro.org/images/c/cc/GAtRoDA_System32_US_Manual.pdf

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What's up with the centaur woman turning into a normal woman when she hops on a beast.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
What's up with the centaur woman turning into a normal woman when she hops on a beast.
magic? lol I always wondered that myself and I think I even commented on it in the video

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I only ever saw this game in the wild once at a barcade. It was definitely impressive, but I didn't feel perfection. I may have to go back and give it more attention.