Good Console Shooters

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hey guys, I need to pick up some shooters for various consoles and was wondering which ones I should start looking for and what console it was released on (domestic.)

Thanks in advance.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
Could you be more specific with regards to the consoles you'd like to collect for?

Also, if you stick with domestic releases only you'd be missing out on a heap of classics, regardless of console.

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
Hey another MN guy into shmups!

For NES, you need to have the Gradius games, as well as Squoon. Squoon is my all-time favorite NES shmup, no kidding. If you're willing to track down a Famicom or an adapter, Crisis Force is a very good title, as is Gun.Nac or Recca, but good luck finding Recca, it's nigh impossible.

I don't really have any other special recomendations, 'cuz all I have is a NES and an MVS, and I'm pretty sure you already know the whole NES shooter library.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Hey another MN guy into shmups!

We are many.

As far as recommendations, if you have japanese systems, Cho Aniki for the ps2 is actually pretty cool. It's got a lot of that psikyo memorization going for it but it's worthwhile.

Otherwise the dreamcast ones are probably the best recommendations. Giga Wing, etc. n stuff.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
Taito Legends. I think it's the second volume not sure for PS2. If you get you get a whole bunch of shooters, including my favorite shmup of all time Gun Frontier.

Aripug

n00b
Under defeat

For dreamcast, japanese version only....

one of the best shooter of everytime in my opinion :)

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Yeah which systems are we targeting here? There are a ton every generation, just depends on what systems you have.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have quite a few systems, I believe I can play imports on both the DC and the Saturn. Would be willing to mod the PS2. Sorry I didn't list them as I thought the list would be far too long.

I have seen Under Defeat and is one I would like to pick up.

Is there any Cave stuff that hit the consoles?

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
Is there any Cave stuff that hit the consoles?

Donpachi, Dodonpachi are both available on import Saturn and PSX (PSX ports are supposedly the superior of the two).

PS2 has ESPGaluda, Dodonpachi Daioujou, Ibara and Mushihimesama, all import only.

As for a few recommendations...

Saturn (Jap) - Battle Garegga, Kingdom Grandprix, Soukyugurentai....:buttrock:

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Air Zonk. Not Super Air Zonk in Rockabilly Paradise. Just plain old standard Air Zonk.

Great freak'n game.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Air Zonk. Not Super Air Zonk in Rockabilly Paradise. Just plain old standard Air Zonk.

Great freak'n game.

Air Zonk > Rockabilly Paradise

Both are mega-awesome, but the hucard one just rules. :buttrock:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
If you like oldschool stuff the PC-Engine as PJ noted would be a good choice. The Mega Drive also has some great shooters. I just picked up a copy of Gleylancer and it's quite good.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
If you like oldschool stuff the PC-Engine as PJ noted would be a good choice. The Mega Drive also has some great shooters. I just picked up a copy of Gleylancer and it's quite good.

Gleylancer is pretty great, and Thunderforce 4 and Battlemania 1 and 2 and V-V/Grindstormer....and [rambles on for 30 minutes]

agustusx

Marked Wolf
If you like the fast bullet games, then

Gunbird (Saturn, I think PSX and PS2 as well) JPN
Gunbird 2 (Dreamcast US/JPN, PS2 i think)
Dragonblaze (PS2, Euro or JPN)

Download MAME and the following shooters:

Strikers 1945
DonPachi
Dangun Feveron
Progear
Zedblade

All classics IMO

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
i definitely back the ikaruga suggestion. also, if the opportunity arises, radiant silvergun (saturn import). it's the game that sold me on shooters.