GoodBYE, Stephen (SCOTUS Bretyerment))

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Breyer retiring.

...It was a crisis, wasn't it? The idea that he might just wait to die on the job like Ginsburg?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hope he made his decision without outside pressure.

Those saying RBG should have retired during the Obama presidency after she died during the Trump presidency were really quite crass.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I love how White House had to immediately issue a statement saying that the when and how of a SCOTUSes retirement is purely up to them.

Sure, sure.

They definitely didn't want this to wait until after November.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
When you have an entire political party that votes completely in lock-step, has zero respect for political norms or tradition and whose only guiding principle is "fuck liberals", you have very little choice in the matter. The court is already going to be rat-fucked for 20 years thanks to Mitch McConnell. There's no reason to continue to play directly into his hands.

85-year-olds shouldn't be dictating the jurisprudence of this country anyway.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The pressure on Breyer had to be unreal, starting on inauguration day. As lithy pointed out, they weren't going to wait until November, because everyone knows how this plays out if McConnell is running the chamber.

Have democrats remembered that Bill Kristol isn't the smartest guy? I saw him outlining a "straightforward" game plan in which Harris is named to the court and Romney is appointed as the new VP.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The pressure on Breyer had to be unreal, starting on inauguration day. As lithy pointed out, they weren't going to wait until November, because everyone knows how this plays out if McConnell is running the chamber.

Have democrats remembered that Bill Kristol isn't the smartest guy? I saw him outlining a "straightforward" game plan in which Harris is named to the court and Romney is appointed as the new VP.
wasabi's gone, bro. This shit don't matter no mo.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Crisis? I'm not even sure why some liberals bothered mounting a pressue campaign on this. At this point all the liberal justices could be replaced with conservatives and it wouldn't really affect the outcomes. I guess having a few liberals instead of none might matter in a couple decades? I've had to put SCOTUS out of my mind now -- any liberal still focusing on it is gonna go insane.

I'm not saying 20 years from now doesn't matter. Just voicing the utter despair and resulting detachment.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just a bunch of old white men legislating my uterus.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Those saying RBG should have retired during the Obama presidency after she died during the Trump presidency were really quite crass.

As crass as bribing a SCJ to retire from a life-long appointment and setting a new precedent to rig the SCOTUS rather than leave it to fate?

Hindsight is 20/20.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I basically read those people as saying "you dumb bitch you shouldn't have died of cancer." That's just in bad taste, regardless of the real politik.

R3gal

n00b
no worries.. The old senile fool promised we will have a black woman supreme court judge.. because we are not racist and look past color.. surely extremely qualified. Just like Kamala. (y)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
no worries.. The old senile fool promised we will have a black woman supreme court judge.. because we are not racist and look past color.. surely extremely qualified. Just like Kamala. (y)

Would you say that the nine current justices are, or were at the time of appointment, the most qualified candidates for the job?

Roughly speaking, how many qualified candidates for the court are out there?

What do you consider the most important qualifications?

In 2016, candidate Trump pledged "We’re going to have great judges, conservative, all picked by Federalist Society."

All three of President Trump's appointments to the court are federalist society members, as are justices Alito and Thomas. Chief Justice Roberts has denied being a member, but appears in the organization's 1997-1998 leadership directory.

Why was membership in, or endorsement from, this organization the only concrete qualification that President Trump named?

All currently serving Justices have been considered very qualified by the American Bar Association, except for Clarence Thomas, who was merely "qualified."

All the currently serving members of the court are Jewish or Catholic (or raised Catholic, in the case of Neil Gorsuch.)

Catholic and Jewish people represent about 1/5 of the population. The first prominent Catholic to serve on the court was Antonin Scalia in 1986 (incidentally, one of the first faculty advisors to The Federalist Society.)

Is this demographic shift on the court coincidental, meritocratic, sinister, or something else?

For 50 points, rank the qualifications of Amy Coney Barrett, Ketanji Brown Jackson, Leondra Kruger, Brett Kavanaugh, J. Michelle Childs, Leslie Abrams Gardner, and Neil Gorsuch. Show your work.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Scalia is the greatest justice of all time. He is the reason why we have 50 state gay marriage.

R3gal

n00b
yada yada yada

why would you go on such a ridiculous tirade my man ? My point is that identity politics suck... the supreme court is an absolutely shithole because of them .. and this old fart will further perpetuate them.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm just glad that Trump got the boot before he had the chance to nominate Judge Ito.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
My point is that identity politics suck... the supreme court is an absolutely shithole because of them .. and this old fart will further perpetuate them.

My mistake dude I wish you'd just said that instead of weirdly implying the appointee wouldn't be qualified to serve, since that would also be identity politics.

R3gal

n00b
My mistake dude I wish you'd just said that instead of weirdly implying the appointee wouldn't be qualified to serve, since that would also be identity politics.

sometimes when you are to choose someone just on the premises of color and gender... you tend to not make the best of choices... cough...kamala..