Gradius III (SNES) slowdown elemination patch & mod

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Impressive, indeed!

BTW: I always liked the Viewpoint port on the Genny, but slowdown is strong with that one, so it could use one of those, too. Oh, man... and Steel Empire.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But without the slowdown, how can anyone hope to beat Gradius III?

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I'll vouch for the awesomeness of this patch. Try it on your SD2SNES, you won't be disappointed. Kudos to the developer.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Indeed the patch is awesome. (^_^) You probably won't return to the original Gradius III after you tried it.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'll vouch for the awesomeness of this patch. Try it on your SD2SNES, you won't be disappointed. Kudos to the developer.

Agreed I played through the bubble stage on the sd2snes and it ran nice and fast. I even had the full set of options which usually really slows the game down.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I like to try it on my SD2SNES,but i never understood how you add a hack to a rom.I watched a video on yt for it and i was left confused.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Just use

beat_v01

to patch your rom. Start the exe > click "Apply patch" & select your patch (use the correct region) > select your rom (unzipped) > select name & save location for the patched rom

Edit:

The patched rom should be a

.sfc

file when you used the Japanese rom.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
This is pretty amazing. Has anyone ever done something to fix Contra Force on the NES?
I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but keep in mind there's a lot more copies of Gradius III than Contra Force out there

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I tried the patch on the SD2SNES... the second stage (bubbles) is impossible for me now.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I don't recall Axelay being particularly heavy on slowdown, but it has been a while. Checking some videos quick I don't really see much.

Is there a similar patch for Super R-Type? Now that game gets nuts with the slowdown.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
egm_bg_92_66.jpg
Gradius III won an award. Yay!
Source: EGM Buyer's Guide 1992, page 66.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Impressive, indeed!

BTW: I always liked the Viewpoint port on the Genny, but slowdown is strong with that one, so it could use one of those, too. Oh, man... and Steel Empire.
I also liked viewpoint on genesis, hopefully someone does take the time to give that one the treatment it deserves. The last level of steel empire is downright gorgeous and I play through that one often.. I do hate on the second level when you have to fly backwards though!

I will give this mod a try, the gradius series is one I really enjoy and it will be nice to play a better version of the third game on snes.