Greatest DJ Set of All Time

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I put some study into Ableton, learned most things in it, but I’m just not into it. For production it isn’t powerful enough and for DJing it seems to require more prep than I want to do. It clicked for my brother instantly though. He made three albums with it. I use all hardware for production.
This is how I like to do it, but sometimes I end up arranging samples from all the hardware and that's when I land in Tracker-ville.

Honestly though, with an Aria TR-8 and a Korg Minilogue I can have more fun than in almost any DAW I've used. 😅

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
MC means one thing in UK and something different in USA.

Think Biscuit.

In UK the word describes what folks in the USA would call a cookie.

An MC in the USA, is what the UK would call a rapper.

Closest thing the USA has to a UK MC, would be a scatter…(think Jamaican Toaster).

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Before the Great Genrefication of the early 2000s people tried a lot of shit. When there were no scenesters because the scene itself was only six years old nobody was too cool to do dumb shit. Very bad rapping was common during this period but at the same time you didn't have to hear dicks complain that "actually...those two tracks shouldn't be in the same set".

The hiphop world is different but there are a lot of fascist dicks in the house scene...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I uploaded this just for you: https://soundcloud.com/signofzeta%2Fvintage-hard-core-techno-mystery-mix
A rather sad bastard gave it to me on a cassette in the mid-90s. I don't know much about it otherwise. Sound quality is terrible but its a load of fun.
Ha, DJ Sy, saw him so many times as a spotty faced youth. He used to team up with MC Storm for years, who was well known for 'mc scratching', which is kind of gay but we thought it was the shit when we were 14.

Storm dumped Sy after Sy got charged for banging a 16 year old and filming it.

I should add, this is a clip of shitty mc scratching, rather than of an old man banging a 16 year old.

StevenK

10 Year Member
MC means one thing in UK and something different in USA.

Think Biscuit.

In UK the word describes what folks in the USA would call a cookie.

An MC in the USA, is what the UK would call a rapper.

Closest thing the USA has to a UK MC, would be a scatter…(think Jamaican Toaster).
You can probably guess what most people would think a scatter was here :oops:

Jamaican toaster makes sense though.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Ha, DJ Sy, saw him so many times as a spotty faced youth. He used to team up with MC Storm for years, who was well known for 'mc scratching', which is kind of gay but we thought it was the shit when we were 14.

Storm dumped Sy after Sy got charged for banging a 16 year old and filming it.

I should add, this is a clip of shitty mc scratching, rather than of an old man banging a 16 year old.

To be honest his scratching his not that bad. Its corny, but in hardcore everything is corny. His crabs are tight.

This was years before VCA faders (Samurai, etc) were around. He must have destroyed a crossfader every night. :)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This was years before VCA faders (Samurai, etc) were around. He must have destroyed a crossfader every night. :)
I threw an Eternal crossfader in my Ecler Nuo. It's magnetic (inductive) so it has basically zero resistance. The future is crazy.

StevenK

10 Year Member
To be honest his scratching his not that bad. Its corny, but in hardcore everything is corny. His crabs are tight.

Sorry, what I was getting at is from 55secs onwards the MC is scratching along with the DJ, just by making the noise in the mic. Like beatboxing.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I miss when hardcore DJs used to scat at all through their sets.

Yeah I first read that as you used to shit all over the dance floor, but I was 60% sure that’s not what you meant.

I probably saw lots of good stuff back in the day, went clubbing all over the world, London, Ibiza, Mykonos, Milan… but can’t remember any of it. Was always smashed out of my brain 😝

That sounds legit, if you remember it you weren’t there.

I was too young (born 1988) to experience the real 90s rave scene, but I saw maybe a wet fart echo of it in the mid 2000s.

Daft Punk at Rockness in 2007 was legendary. The organisers completely misjudged the number of people that wanted to see Daft Punk (first UK tour in about a decade) and quickly had to rip off the edges of the dance tent so more people could see them. Happy times.

Mr Scruff has always been a great night when I’ve seen him. I see he’s playing in a 7 hour gig soon from 8 pm to 3 am - I’m not sure I can manage that kinda night anymore in my mid 30s. Not without some sort of magic white powder anyway.

Last edited: