Greetings from Alaska

orc.one

n00b
Hello all,

I'm here to learn about the Neo Geo.

I don't so much collect video games (which could be seen to imply some deliberation) as aggregate them in one place. In any case, by own "collection" is very modest, featuring a few:

• Atari 2600/7800 games,
  • GameCube,
  • PS1/2/3,
  • N64,
  • GBA/GBC/GB,
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Wii/Virtual Console
  • Commodore 64 carts

(I tend to be more rigorous collecting table-top games from the late 70s through the early 1990s.)

My wife tends to be more into video games than I am, but I remain motivated to try and experience some of the stuff I missed out on when these things were fresh.

I don't have any personal experience with the Neo Geo—I can't recall even seeing the NG in arcades, which I barely attended after about 1986. But I have a fondness for toys (including games), and SNK's flagship product line certainly seems to appeal to that weakness of mine.

As of now, I own, well, nothing Neo Geo related, and what experience I do have comes purely from emulation, and that's not particularly extensive, either. I enjoy cartridge-based media, preferring it over optical media for the immediacy, heft, and other reasons. But especially, many of the games on the platform seem very appealing.

I've tended to prefer 3D games overall, since those games feel more like exploration to me than 2D games, and I prefer that feeling while gaming more than anything else (something definitely reflected in my tabletop games). As a consequence, I skipped over most of the 8-bit and 16-bit era during its heyday. In fact, if it weren't for Sony (which proved a gateway to Nintendo), I probably would have skipped considerably more.

My exposure to other 8- and 16-bit game platforms has provoked my interest in arcade games of the same era. And to be honest, as irrational as it seems, I've always really liked the 68000 cpu.

The Capcom CPS2 also seems really interesting, but only for about two games.

Anyway, I'm going to return to going through the tech support threads, as a way to familiarize myself with the hardware of the MVS.

Be seeing you.

—Scott

TLKrauser

n00b
best CPS 2 for me, progear no arashi!
a sublime game and a very manga style. I love! the bosses are very good. welcome.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Hi Scott, can you post some pictures of your wife?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Howdy Scott, can you tell us what life is like in Alaska.

Also, if you can post some wife pics that'd be fantastic. Cheers mate.

orc.one

n00b
Howdy Scott, can you tell us what life is like in Alaska.

Also, if you can post some wife pics that'd be fantastic. Cheers mate.

Well, life at the moment here is sort of depressing. We're in the season of occasionally frozen, slushy rains, and a lot of brown stuff, a sort of sminter season. There's no green as yet, but hope remains. The skies at the moment are overcast and grim, reflecting the state of the world in general.

And I can certainly supply a word-picture or two of my wife in the form of stories.

The shortest I have is we met in a hellish work environment, I admired her superb artwork and we subsequently bonded over a paper by Matt Wedel over the pneumaticity of sauropod dinosaurs and Indian food. From there a lot more common ground was uncovered, specifically our love for Mystery Science Theater 3000 tv, tabletop RPGs, and geeky matters. She's definitely the superior artist—the result of incessant practice on her part and her dedication to the subject matters (since meeting me, I'm pleased it's been a lot of paleo-themed work). After a lengthy courtship, we married in 2016.

She is an amazing woman and I am privileged to have met her.

We've also been well-traveled together, with the both of us attending not only meetings of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology in other parts of the world (like California and England), but we've also attended GDC and California Extreme together. We both attend local cons as art exhibitors and sell our work, very nearly earning a living doing just that (an advantage of living cheaply), though I find we still have to supplement our income with electronics repair and modding and other menial tasks like graphic design, home repair, and CMS dev.

best CPS 2 for me, progear no arashi!
a sublime game and a very manga style. I love! the bosses are very good. welcome.

Whoa, I was unfamiliar with that one. It looks gorgeous. Might have to add it to the two D&D games for being compelling. I wish I could say I was any good at shooters in general, but the idea of push fighters in a hand-painted game might get me to practice more.

And thank you!

—Scott

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well, life at the moment here is sort of depressing. We're in the season of occasionally frozen, slushy rains, and a lot of brown stuff, a sort of sminter season. There's no green as yet, but hope remains. The skies at the moment are overcast and grim, reflecting the state of the world in general.

And I can certainly supply a word-picture or two of my wife in the form of stories.

The shortest I have is we met in a hellish work environment, I admired her superb artwork and we subsequently bonded over a paper by Matt Wedel over the pneumaticity of sauropod dinosaurs and Indian food. From there a lot more common ground was uncovered, specifically our love for Mystery Science Theater 3000 tv, tabletop RPGs, and geeky matters. She's definitely the superior artist—the result of incessant practice on her part and her dedication to the subject matters (since meeting me, I'm pleased it's been a lot of paleo-themed work). After a lengthy courtship, we married in 2016.

She is an amazing woman and I am privileged to have met her.

We've also been well-traveled together, with the both of us attending not only meetings of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology in other parts of the world (like California and England), but we've also attended GDC and California Extreme together. We both attend local cons as art exhibitors and sell our work, very nearly earning a living doing just that (an advantage of living cheaply), though I find we still have to supplement our income with electronics repair and modding and other menial tasks like graphic design, home repair, and CMS dev.

Welcome to the forums Scott, you don't deserve the brash and lewd antics of LoneSage or TheMot.

Such terrible members so avoid engaging with them, all they do is hound new and old members alike for photo's of their wives and girlfriends nude.

Spoiler:
Show us her tits!

orc.one

n00b
Welcome to the forums Scott, you don't deserve the brash and lewd antics of LoneSage or TheMot.

Such terrible members so avoid engaging with them, all they do is hound new and old members alike for photo's of their wives and girlfriends nude.

Well, thank yew.

But in the nature of irresistible set ups:

Spoiler:
Show us her tits!

Spoiler:
Frankly, I'm offended none of you want to see mine. I work out, do wood cutting, and schlep gear. I earned mine, she was just gifted hers genetically.
Spoiler:
This was a difficult choice, since I had so many retorts to this handy.

Can I nest spoilers? Oh hey, it appears I can.

—Scott

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Welcome... just curious... how many drafts of posts do you make before submitting them?

Do you write them in MS Word first, then paste them into the "Quick Reply " window?

Anyways, get your nephew off that Roblox crap, it's bad for him.

orc.one

n00b
Welcome... just curious... how many drafts of posts do you make before submitting them?

Do you write them in MS Word first, then paste them into the "Quick Reply " window?

No; I've been on the internet since 1990 (back when we had to request internet access from a sysadmin via the VAX VMS at school). I sometimes edit posts after the fact, though, or use Go Advanced if to preview if I'm trying to format a table or something, but generally edit mostly because I forget to add my name at the bottom: —Scott.

I just use a plain text editor for any word processing. Word can't do anything I need that vi, nano, or even BBEdit can do far better and quicker.

I do use a full keyboard for posting to fora, not a mobile device like a smartphone.

Anyways, get your nephew off that Roblox crap, it's bad for him.

Access has already been curtailed (hopefully permanently)—I just need to make an appliance filled with games for him to run with.

I think it's also bad for gaming in general, but I am trying (but clearly failing) to be That Guy who looks down on the choices of others, but, like I said elsewhere, my concerns remain unaddressed by anyone working there (privacy breaches, accommodations for minors, all the concerns raised by Raph Koster &c.).

—That Guy

Last edited:

orc.one

n00b
Run while you still can dude. This place is a CHUD breeding ground. Not friendly to newcomers at all.

Already aware; performative hazing is easily ignored—one of the benefits to getting older is it tends to be harder to hear some of the shriller bids for attention.

Signed up anyway, since I don't own any of the hardware, and so long as I have a chance of getting some good information (measurements, technical details) from those that do, I'll probably stick around. So far, the results have been tolerable, even promising, and I might even prove occasionally useful, even if my technical skills have mostly tended towards big iron and less towards consumer hardware.

I think I do intend on acquiring some MVS hardware at some point (the AES isn't on any list of toys I might acquire), but I'm afraid an oscilloscope is going to be first—other projects are now demanding my attention with the drop in available employment elsewhere. I've needed one for a long time anyway.

Spoiler:
Besides, I already have my own social media space. I don't mean an account, I mean my own site. Since I only offer accounts to people I already know personally, it's worked out well.
Spoiler:
See, I've already learned to misuse the Spoiler tags as an aside.
Spoiler:
How far will I take it?
Spoiler:
Because I gotta say this isn't getting old anytime soon.

—Have Soldering Gun, Will Travel

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
:keke: " hazing" Good luck. The mods will make you War Room fodder soon enough. Escape while you still can. This is not a real video game forum. It's a place where the worst trolls in the retro gaming scene gather to talk shit about everyone.

Fuck knows why you're here then?

orc.one

n00b
Escape while you still can.

This implies that at some point I might not be able to.

Maybe, but I find that implication highly unlikely.

… the worst trolls in the retro gaming scene gather to talk shit about everyone.

This implies that I could be somehow hurt by this.

Maybe, but I find that implication extremely unlikely.

—S "For Christ's Sake, I Know What I'm Doing Now Where's My Stylus?"

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This implies that at some point I might not be able to.

Maybe, but I find that implication highly unlikely.

This implies that I could be somehow hurt by this.

Maybe, but I find that implication extremely unlikely.

—S "For Christ's Sake, I Know What I'm Doing Now Where's My Stylus?"

I like you, you'll go far here.