Guess what? SNK releasing new KOF Rhythm game! Get your smartphones ready....

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I kinda like rythm games so I'm okay with it BUT I hate that it only get's released on mobiles. I really hate that shit.
Why not at least release it on 3DS?

Moria/the man

New Challenger
I agree with Joe... I'd like to see a MotW 2.... I'll try this KOF rhythm game because i'm an SNK whore... That's right I said it.. WAIT!.. only if it's free....:smirk:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Why bother making console games then if they don't make enough money? Why not just make mobile games only?

Your logic is now broken.

No company worth their salt is going to develop and release software that loses money. Their console games still make money. They just have higher overhead in terms of money and time needed to make them.

Being successful in today's gaming market means having a multifaceted approach across multiple platforms. SNKP's survival Is dependent on it, and it's just smart business.

My logic isn't flawed at all.

I wonder how succesful MS Defense has been. I mean its not candy crush saga quite yet.

They've had over 7 million downloads, which is a pretty huge success for them and easily their biggest in the mobile world. In terms of how financially successful it's been, it's hard to say since it's a free-to-play title. Obviously not everyone who downloaded the game put any money into it, but if at least half of them did, it would be a huge boon for them.

I kinda like rythm games so I'm okay with it BUT I hate that it only get's released on mobiles. I really hate that shit.
Why not at least release it on 3DS?

There's an exponentially larger amount of people with iPhones and Android devices than 3DS', not to mention licensing, cost, target audience, etc.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Unfortunately, SNKP is just a hollowed-out husk of a company at this point. They'll continue to leverage their IPs in whatever low-risk ways they can (mobile, themed pachinko games, etc.) but the days of SNKP putting out games any people here would care about are over barring a buy-out by a company who actually gives a shit about video games.

Sadly it looks like Capcom may follow in their footsteps shortly if their fortunes don't turn around. Some folks here may not give a shit about Capcom but my high-school and college years were spent in arcades playing Neo and CPS2 games and these are sad times.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
And it's out now, $1 or 69p: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snkplaymore.android009&hl=en_GB

I'm not nearly as hostile towards this move as I would have been a few years ago, for if it can contribute towards the funding of a proper KOF then it's worth it. However, as noted above, a buyout by someone with obvious financial clout and a fondness for fighters may be needed.

Wonder if Namco-Bandai have any spare cash to buy SNKP and Capcom?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I picked it up for 99c just to give it a shot. Will try later when I get home, worst I am out is a buck so not expecting much haha

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I really like it. There's lots of good, new arrangements, it plays well, and there also appears to be new voice acting. The remixed Neo-Geo jingle gave me some big warm fuzzies.

For a buck, it's well worth it. You can buy more music for fairly reasonable prices as well in the future (they're supposedly going to be priced in packs at $2 a pop).

With this and Metal Slug Defense, you can tell SNKP is really pushing for quality mobile releases, and for that I say good on them.

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's great for a buck. Fun and addicting. I don't see myself buying any iap though. I've spent more on worse apps.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Looks like it's done pretty well, when I get my smartphone I'll most definitely try it. Somehow reminds me of CFC, though I can't put my finger on why.

Moria/the man

New Challenger
I bought it because I want to support SNK. 1 buccaroony? no question... It's kinda fun too and you have KOF Music yo!

I was against this until I saw that it was essentially a Cool Cool Toon spin off. Played a ton of that one, so I've got no problem with paying $1 for more.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Very good - still a bigger fan of traditional games myself but it is an interesting and innovative way to keep brand going/reaching out in an honest way.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's certainly no Theatrhythm but it's not awful.. all told after about 20 minutes I may never play it again..

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Also downloaded it for the support. Not bad at all for a few minutes.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's a fun little game. I want to get the Metal Slug song pack, but not for three bucks.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Been playing this on the train ride home all last week, been really fun except the train bumps that mess up my chain!

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I'm loving it. I've spent more time with this than any game in probably eight years. Great gameplay, amazing music and it's easy to play a little here and there without any time commitment. Perfect for lapsed rhythm fans and lapsed SNK fans. It even got me to make a post here.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
I gave in to temptation and bought it over the weekend. It's actually very good, even with those wacky pachislot tunes. Shame the song packs cost more than the actual game, but I might pick one up if I manage to obliterate all the courses.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I have downloaded 3 SNK games on android now inc this and have not enjoyed playing any of them...really dont like touch screen games.

Maybe I will get use to it, main reason for download was the background music, not sure i want to pay for extras though

Last edited:

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
This game is quite good actually but the fact that song packs cost more than the game is wierd. I guess it's a good way to hold us until the next KOF.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If you play other smartphone music games, this comes out to less per song than most of them, off the top of my head.

The way I see it, assuming the game cost more and came with all the songs available, I wouldn't see casual fans playing all 30 songs or so between IAP and included songs. I think the IAP is for more dedicated fans who want to practice more or just try more songs, and for slightly spendy casuals who would pay to play a handful of their favorite songs. I've been playing music games for a while and game I'm playing the most right now has about 1100 songs with usually 6 charts each, I don't think most people who would just play a handful of credits rather than playing regularly would make a dent in playing every song, much less every chart.

I guess SNKP could just release a demo with one song only, but I would imagine most people who would try the demo would also pay $1 for a generous assortment of songs. I think they've struck a good balance.

Last edited: