Gundam/mech model kits!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
So Gundams aren't my favorite thing in the world but I do love them and in an effort to distract myself with friends so that I don't kill myself I would like to oblige my friend who offered to sit around with me and drink/smoke and put together Gundam models together. Sounds like fun!!

Questions though and I'm sure at least some of you have experience with Gundam kits... where should I get them? Whats the official brand(s) to get? Any opinions and experiences with putting together Gundam models would be helpful.

Also, are there any other cool mech series I'm overlooking that offer model kits in the same vein? I was thinking like Neon Genesis or something

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I used to get them from hobby link Japan back in the late 90s. I really went all out making them and used an airbrush as well as the gundam branded fine pens for the seams. I've always wanted to make something from 5 star stories

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I used to collect Gundam models when I was like 13 kind of stopped when I entered high school it was a lot of fun building them i wouldn't mind getting back into it when I have the money and time.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
thanks! i can deal with dicks in stores. ever seen me in a pizzeria? those boys in the kitchen love watching me eat pizza and i don't blame them

Another negative thoughts is they sometimes mark up prices compared to what you can buy a kit for you online.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I used to collect Gundam models when I was like 13 kind of stopped when I entered high school it was a lot of fun building them i wouldn't mind getting back into it when I have the money and time.

Well, it's not like you'll be spending any time with a woman any time soon. Toys seem like something someone like you would gravitate to.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Another negative thoughts is they sometimes mark up prices compared to what you can buy a kit for you online.

i already assumed this. i'll simply use their site to narrow down the models I'm interested in and compare prices online. thanks for the link sugarcat xoxox

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
zoids. zoids are much more fun.
I consider myself a decent painter, but i have no idea how people paint these up. I know most people start with the bare plastic, but clean animation painting is quite difficult on large flat surfaces.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
zoids. zoids are much more fun.
I consider myself a decent painter, but i have no idea how people paint these up. I know most people start with the bare plastic, but clean animation painting is quite difficult on large flat surfaces.
i can't wait to try my hand at it. i have a few tricks up my sleeve, hopefully they work.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've only put together a couple of those kid-friendly snap-together SD Gundam ones, not the more complex glue-together variety (I don't have the patience for that type of thing anymore). It's an all-right way to kill some time if you've got nothing better to do.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Its been a few years since I've built one. It can be very relaxing. Put some good music on, or a show, and just model away. There are a few things to note before getting started. With Gundams, there are different grades, and those grades reference build quality, and level of skill.

High grade - standard build. Easy to put together, but models don't look as nice, and aren't able to be posed as much.

Master grade - usually bigger size. armor is built on top of a skeleton frame usually. Harder to build, but they look better and allow for more poses, and what not.

Real grade - Newest build type for gundams (only a few years old actually ) Basically these are the build type of a MG, but the size of a HG

Perfect grade - The end all be all. Usually these models cost hundreds of dollars, and can be massive in size. I have yet to build one. Def don't start with this one.

(deeper explanation of the grades. http://japan-cool.co.uk/Gundam-Model-Kit-Guide)

You also wanna get yourself a good pair of nipper to remove the pieces from the plastic runners. Panel line markers are also a quick way to make your model "pop"

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Its been a few years since I've built one. It can be very relaxing. Put some good music on, or a show, and just model away. There are a few things to note before getting started. With Gundams, there are different grades, and those grades reference build quality, and level of skill.

High grade - standard build. Easy to put together, but models don't look as nice, and aren't able to be posed as much.

Master grade - usually bigger size. armor is built on top of a skeleton frame usually. Harder to build, but they look better and allow for more poses, and what not.

Real grade - Newest build type for gundams (only a few years old actually ) Basically these are the build type of a MG, but the size of a HG

Perfect grade - The end all be all. Usually these models cost hundreds of dollars, and can be massive in size. I have yet to build one. Def don't start with this one.

(deeper explanation of the grades. http://japan-cool.co.uk/Gundam-Model-Kit-Guide)

You also wanna get yourself a good pair of nipper to remove the pieces from the plastic runners. Panel line markers are also a quick way to make your model "pop"

thanks this is actually super helpful because i didn't want anything too easy, haha.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i wonder what are the average man hours for a perfect grade. they actually look quite fun.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
i wonder what are the average man hours for a perfect grade. they actually look quite fun.

My former roommate was big into these models (hence why I know the store's and such), and he did a perfect grade over the course of a few weekends, averaging at least 3+ hrs per day.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Used to have a bunch, actually just traded them for some PCBs.

Perfect Grades I could knock out in a weekend, around 6-8 hours per day with everything laid out and ready to go. Plus once you have done a couple like other smaller kits you get a rhythm going.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
That's not so bad for Perfect Grade. I might have to pick one up once I get settled again.
I did some balsa frame airplanes that took months, so plastic kits should be fine.

Of course, I would like it better if they were macross models.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Seconded on buying nippers, personally I use those manicure grade nail cutters to snip the plastic parts out and they work just fine and will probably be easier to find and cheaper, you may also want something to sand down any left over plastic you may not be able to snip away, like a nail file, and be sure to look into the pretty extensive line of Bandai made stands for your gundam once it's finished so you can pose it properly, it's not required, but I'm in love with my stand I bought for my master grade RX-78, it makes it look like he's flying and the base was big enough to also act as a platform for the included ship

I find amazon to be an okay place to buy the kits and accessories, but you may want to make sure which version of the model you're buying, they come out with newer revisions that look better/have better posing options even if they're listed as master grade, I found that out the hard way with my god gundam kit which seemed to be about ten years old vs the really great quality of the newer RX kit I had bought previously

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Flush Cutter - That's what you want for getting pieces off the plastic sprue trees.
Emory Boards - dont bother with fancy metal files. These are just fine.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I picked one up randomly at a Hobbytown USA store while traveling for work. It was Real Grade and I was able to assembly the main figure in 3 or 4 nights. Never got around to finishing some of the "extra" bits. Shield? still on the sprue. Yeah, it was fun to do. Once. Much more work than I had planned for. So never planned to do another.

Then of course my brother thought it would be fun to buy me another. It's still sitting here in my office. In the box. Mmmm.. Am I ready to commit the time again?...

FYI, Barnes & Noble has them from time to time. My brother got it on clearance. Also don't forgot to check Amazon.

If you don't buy nippers. Don't even start. Once you see all the small parts on a dozen different sprues you'll agree.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Sylvie, you're making me want to watch G Gundam again.

Jon

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Sylvie, you're making me want to watch G Gundam again.

Jon

Do it, G Gundam is primo. its been YEARS since I've seen it. They used to air it after school on Cartoon Network

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Do it, G Gundam is primo. its been YEARS since I've seen it. They used to air it after school on Cartoon Network

I still have all four DVD volumes that Bandai put out years ago and have been out of print forever. Definitely in my top 10 anime series ever.

MAGA (Make Anime Great Again)

Jon