Gunlord & Last Hope: Pink Bullets MVS reprints ON SALE NOW!

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
So if you preorder the game do you have to pay upfront? I don't understand why it takes them 6+ months to deliver and I wouldn't be happy with my moneytied up that long. Having said that, I think it would be cool to get a copy of Razion.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
So if you preorder the game do you have to pay upfront? I don't understand why it takes them 6+ months to deliver and I wouldn't be happy with my moneytied up that long. Having said that, I think it would be cool to get a copy of Razion.

Yup, 100% up front. You're lucky if it's anywhere close to 6 months btw.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I'm with you. Whatever they do with their upcoming hardware, a cheaper medium is an absolute must. Additionally, I hope they will allow for the possibility of other devs to produce and release games on the hardware. It would be a shame if the hardware turned out to be something similar to Cave's CV1000 pcbs. If that turns out to be the case, we will be back at square one.

Yeah that's what I'm curious about myself. I know I posted on their Facebook page about how they plant to please their AES and MVS fans, and they said their new hardware would mimic that of the Neo Geo, therefore allowing people to enjoy these new games in arcade cabs or via their home entertainment system. So that's an interesting quote because this mean it will be an all-in-one solution, or have multiple hardware options, etc.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm with you. Whatever they do with their upcoming hardware, a cheaper medium is an absolute must. Additionally, I hope they will allow for the possibility of other devs to produce and release games on the hardware. It would be a shame if the hardware turned out to be something similar to Cave's CV1000 pcbs. If that turns out to be the case, we will be back at square one.

Moving away from Neo could be a mistake. Hardcore Neo completists will have no incentive to buy. OTOH, they will gain some sales from non-Neo people. But will these new potential customers have deep enough pockets to support the product?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Moving away from Neo could be a mistake. Hardcore Neo completists will have no incentive to buy. OTOH, they will gain some sales from non-Neo people. But will these new potential customers have deep enough pockets to support the product?

That's a good point. Though if they targeted PC as a platform there would be a much larger pool of potential buyers. Then they could also have a PC based JAMMA solution to satisfy arcade gamers.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
and they said their new hardware would mimic that of the Neo Geo, therefore allowing people to enjoy these new games in arcade cabs or via their home entertainment system.

Sounds like they're planning something along the lines of a Pandora's Box, or at least a dedicated PCB a la the PGM-based CAVE boards. Basically, something with a Jamma edge, but also a VGA connector and/or RCA jacks.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
There's definitely a market gap to fill with the half crappy Chinese XXX-in-1 and pulling the hours of configuring a mame machine.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Though if they targeted PC as a platform there would be a much larger pool of potential buyers.
But are their games good enough to stand out among the sheer sea of competitors?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
But are their games good enough to stand out among the sheer sea of competitors?

That's exactly it. They couldn't possibly survive making games for current hardware. Outside of the dead console market, I doubt there would be much interest in their games. Their appeal is largely based on the fact that they are producing games on a 25 year old system. They're not doing anything groundbreaking otherwise.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My money for this ended up being spent elsewhere. Probably for the best really. Anyway, Gunlord is now at 399, LHPB is still 299. Kraut Buster MVS still available at 399. Kraut Buster AES has vanished from their store.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Yea, I saved my dime, I tried my other ngdev games and its not the same as older neo geo games, so I didn't spend any.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
That's exactly it. They couldn't possibly survive making games for current hardware. Outside of the dead console market, I doubt there would be much interest in their games. Their appeal is largely based on the fact that they are producing games on a 25 year old system. They're not doing anything groundbreaking otherwise.

This.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ahh, the DEVs... ambitious and misunderstood! Like their country. But do they really have the pure strength of will?

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I think one problem with the DC releases was how easily they were pirated. They needed to add something for protection like Sturmwind did.

This is actually not logical right now.

If they make reprints and keep selling the DC versions, then a player who has no neo geo but has dreamcast and wants to play those games has a choice: buy the game from the developer, buy from ebay or pirate the game. one of those choices results in money going to ngdev team. only the most hardcore would buy a neo geo system for these games. (which I did for Gunlord)

If they do not make reprints and they stop selling the dc versions, then the player has only choices of buying from ebay or pirating, no chance of money going to ngdev.

I'm still debating on if I should place an order for any of these games, including Kraut Buster. I've never played an NG.Dev game so I've been trying to find lots of reviews to help make my decision.

It's bizarre that both on this forum and the shmups forum you can easily find large threads discussing NG.Dev's games before release. Yet upon release, those same threads basically fizzle out. It's the same thing on Youtube, there are more unboxing videos of NG.Dev's games than there are reviews or gameplay footage (the lack of playthroughs is a real surprise).

I know were talking about a niche of a niche product, but it seems like interest for these games disappear the moment customers get their copy. And if the Razion Neo-Geo thread is anything to go by, owners seem to be more interested in the quality of the packaging than the game itself.

So I guess my question is, are these games worth the price?

Well, for what it´s worth I played a lot of gunlord and you can find my speedruns of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NPRdqWnb0&list=PLcULxLs0AjvT6wWhi1vHChpVV_Z3KeZVn&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcULxLs0AjvST1q8malkUty5kj-JGb7xv

And I will talk about the games all the way through these too so if you haven´t seen them, do take a looksee :)

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
My money for this ended up being spent elsewhere. Probably for the best really. Anyway, Gunlord is now at 399, LHPB is still 299. Kraut Buster MVS still available at 399. Kraut Buster AES has vanished from their store.
I had the same experience with this that I did with several games from the Steam Winter Sale. I stared at the sale prices until the deals expired, which tells me I didn't really want any of them that badly.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I had the same experience with this that I did with several games from the Steam Winter Sale. I stared at the sale prices until the deals expired, which tells me I didn't really want any of them that badly.

Just to confirm, has the LHPB price (currently 299) remained the same as it was in December? I know Gunlord went from 349 to 399.

Ruprit

n00b
Well, for what itエs worth I played a lot of gunlord and you can find my speedruns of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NPRdqWnb0&list=PLcULxLs0AjvT6wWhi1vHChpVV_Z3KeZVn&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcULxLs0AjvST1q8malkUty5kj-JGb7xv

And I will talk about the games all the way through these too so if you havenエt seen them, do take a looksee :)

Thanks for posting those videos, they were really exciting to watch, especially towards the end being both short on lives and time.

I ended up foregoing pre-ordering any of the reprints, including Kraut Buster. I was just too conflicted which usually means that I can live without them. I think if I already had a curated Neo-Geo collection, which I'm slowly working towards, I would be much more open to new games for the platform. But I'm in a position where most Neo-Geo games are new to me so that desire for something new just isn't there. Yet.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
I'll have to order Gunlord....its springboarded me back into the Neo again!! :)

Last edited: