Gunvein by NGDEV (PC, Switch, PS4, Xbox)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Disappointing that they are not making a Neo Geo game, they suck
Yet understandable. Their ability to fulfill even modern games physically is atrocious, it's much easier from a business standpoint to go digital

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Without the novelty of being on the Neo-Geo, this looks pretty underwhelming.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
It's a positive that the game is coming to Xbox, however that 2022 release is very optimistic based on their past history.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
On one hand this looks competently made. On the other it's very generic. The bullet designs, the star items, the shot types/pods, it's all stuff we've seen plenty of times. I guess copying an existing style is what NGDev does best.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
On one hand this looks competently made. On the other it's very generic. The bullet designs, the star items, the shot types/pods, it's all stuff we've seen plenty of times. I guess copying an existing style is what NGDev does best.
Best is a relative term when it come to NGDev.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Superficially it looks a lot like a modern ddp game.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You could just play Crimson Clover and be done with it, this looks basically the same.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The darkness bullets give me a Danmaku Unlimited vibe, but the star diarrhea feels Crimzon Clover.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I feel the same way. It looks like a “real” game for sure, but a real game I probably bought for Dreamcast 20 years ago.

Without the Neo I don’t know what the point of these guys is. I only play subpar games if they are on my favorite systems. :)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Without the Neo I don’t know what the point of these guys is. I only play subpar games if they are on my favorite systems. :)
I didn't know what the point of them was with the neo.... more euro jank shovelware for dlc store fronts - yay!

pffft.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I understand that homebrews are usually made for the love of the system/programming, as a sort of nerd exercise... but since ng:dev is a for profit team that coudn't get their shit together to not have years long lead times on their products, I feel like criticism is fair.

And man, their games do not pass the ultimate test: "If the game lost the appeal of being in an old system, would anyone give a shit about it?". They better step up their game because this time around there's not going to be hundreds of people eagerly throwing them hundreds of euros not even caring if the game is out tomorrow or next decade. (maybe not, look at the youtube comments all wondering if there's going to be A PHYSICAL RELEASE for their shelves :keke:)

A generic take on Cave shooters without any of the charm is not going to cut it on Steam, you need to have some sort of argument to it besides GENERIC 3D SPACESHIP SHOOTS THROUGH GENERIC 3D BACKGROUND AND ENEMIES... IN SPAAAACE. No but you see there's also generic anime portraits that pop up and lots of bullets! :uhoh:

Maybe this is actually an ultra satisfying hidden gem on the danmaku genre and will be great once its out in 2030 but we'll see.

Gunvein Roguelike Extra Mode trailer:

Roguelike Arrange. Play the 5 stages of the main mode with procedurally generated enemy waves & randomized power ups! Highly customizable, tailor your ship & difficulty to your liking, or play the more traditional Minimal Mode with preset ships & no power ups.