Halloween 2016- What will you play?

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
There is a whole host of horror gaming to be had out there, so what will you play in the lead-up to Halloween 2016?

(I came here last night specifically looking for a 2016 Halloween season gaming thread, but found none. Figured I'd make one...)

HALLOWEEN GAMES

Splatterhouse 3 (Genesis) Maybe my fave Halloween game ever
Warlock (Genesis) It sucks, yes, I know- first level is very cool though
Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis) My fave pre-Rondo/SOTN Castlevania
Demon's Crest (SNES)
Nosferatu (SNES)
Silverload (PSX)
Illbleed (Dreamcast) No longer have the game, sigh
Zombie Revenge (Dreamcast)
Battle Monsters (Saturn) Sucks, I know, but ultra-camp
Vampire Hunter/Savior (Saturn)
The Suffering (Xbox)
Condemned (X360) No longer have working 360, sigh
Dead Space (Steam) Like the first one for some reason, 2nd is great too
Alan Wake: American Nightmare (Steam) Soooo good
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Steam/Xbox)
F.E.A.R. 3 (Steam) So exceptionally underrated, incredibly cool, atmospheric FPS, love it (not 'scary')
Outlast (Steam) I only play through the first ス hour usually- this is enough, so much atmosphere
Eternal Darkness (Gamecube) Superb
Silent Hill/SH 2/SH 3/SH 4: The Room (Various)
Cold Fear (Xbox) Underrated
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (PC/Steam) Good luck getting this to work on today's PCs, sigh
Resident Evil Series (Many) Ubiquitous and everywhere
Fatal Frame Series (PS2) Atmospheric goodness

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Well, if I ever make it home on Halloween, then I'll probably play Haunting Ground on the PS2 or a patched Clock Tower on the SFC. Against all acrid critics, I also like Vampire Rain for the 360 -- hardcore stealth will sober me up, I guess.

BTW, great compilation!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
RONDO OF BLOOD - October 29, 1993

BLOODLINES - March 17, 1994

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Well, if I ever make it home on Halloween, then I'll probably play Haunting Ground

Haven't heard of this one, I will have to resort to Google. Now- Vampire Rain is one the reviews held me away from I'll admit, But I've always wondered if it was good ...sell me on it!

RONDO OF BLOOD - October 29, 1993

BLOODLINES - March 17, 1994

My bad, just makes Rondo look that much better though, doesn't it?

I was so close for so many years to buying a TurboCD so I could play it native. It was like it was calling to me.

But I was too busy spending way over $200 on a copy of Psychic Assassin Taromaru, and fetishizing other rare Saturn games at the time. A waste of time, but emulation calf-cured the desire, but only by half.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My bad, just makes Rondo look that much better though, doesn't it?

I was so close for so many years to buying a TurboCD so I could play it native. It was like it was calling to me.

But I was too busy spending way over $200 on a copy of Psychic Assassin Taromaru, and fetishizing other rare Saturn games at the time. A waste of time, but emulation calf-cured the desire, but only by half.

Ditto. thank you jesus for the wii virtual console

Bloodlines is amazing. We had a thread some months back about Bloodlines VS SCIV and it was great seeing about less than half the people favoring it over SCIV. I flipflopped over the years over which I prefer but they're both great. Who the fuck picked John Morris over Eric 'The Spear' LeCarde? Fucking no one, that's who.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Bloodlines is amazing. We had a thread some months back about Bloodlines VS SCIV and it was great seeing about less than half the people favoring it over SCIV. I flipflopped over the years over which I prefer but they're both great. Who the fuck picked John Morris over Eric 'The Spear' LeCarde? Fucking no one, that's who.

I did. Fuck that sissy spear shit, man-up and learn to play the fucking game with the whip.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It was many years before I realized you could do different things with John (like swing from shit) because wgaf about the non-spear dude besides you of courseno one that's who.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Evil Within is another good one to add to that list, also Zombies ate my Neighbors is always a good one to play during this season.

I shall play nothing this Halloween.

You could try playing in traffic.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Evil Within is another good one to add to that list, also Zombies ate my Neighbors is always a good one to play during this season.

You could try playing in traffic.

Maybe or I might play Biohazard 2&3 for Dreamcast if they come in time before Halloween.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It was many years before I realized you could do different things with John (like swing from shit) because wgaf about the non-spear dude besides you of courseno one that's who.

You only needed the swing for one part in the game, other thsn that it was useless beyond a weapon. Just cleared the game with John Morris and am toying with the idea of using Eric for a second run to see how differently they play.

On topic, dead space is always my Halloween go to. Iigjt try something different and play a bit of either Silent Hill or REmake to spice things up.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Witcher 3 here, not a Halloween game per se but there are some "spooky" sidequests and such.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I will play a bit of RE4 and probably give Shiryou Sensen - War Of The Dead a try. It's a MSX2 game that came out in 1987 and is the very first survival horror title (predates Sweet Home on Famicom by two years). Most of the on-screen text is Japanese, though, so I will need a FAQ or translation or something. There's one for the PCE version and a language patch for WotD 2 but I can't seem to find the proper ROM/DSK-files. However, the PCE FAQ does not cover the MSX2 version in full, the latter is quite different to it in some spots. Ah well.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
So far this month I've beat the first castle in SOTN. Game is so damn good, I flip flop between it and Rondo frequently.
Bloodlines is hard as shit to me for some reason but I need to get back to it.

I also look forward to fall/winter to play skyrim.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I would play the game I said I would play in the other thread like this from a couple weeks ago.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Haven't heard of this one, I will have to resort to Google. Now- Vampire Rain is one the reviews held me away from I'll admit, But I've always wondered if it was good ...sell me on it!

HG is from Capcom, offers 60fps and native progressive output. Unfortunately the US version is quite rare, but you can still get the UK version sealed for about $20. It offers the same afore mentioned features.

Vampire Rain is a misunderstood game. It's not an actioner, rather a very methodical take on stealth. Yet it seems, everyone wanted another Binary Domain. As the latter mentioned, VP is also a Japanese production, a rare thing on the 360, and it offers you a very classic gameplay based on memorization.

There is just one right way to make it through a mission, if you miss it, you're dead. A game breaker for many, but exactly the reason why I dig it. It's a very classic approach, a bit like Another World or Prince of Persia, where you had to figure out your way through countless traps and pay for it with countless deaths.

It offers mediocre graphics, but less is more here, just as it was with NieR, another Japanese 360 classic that was doomed because of PS2-grade presentation. Vampire Rain is not as classy as NieR, but definitely worth a try if you can appreciate traditional harshness and minimalism in a game.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I will play a bit of RE4 and probably give Shiryou Sensen - War Of The Dead a try. It's a MSX2 game that came out in 1987 and is the very first survival horror title (predates Sweet Home on Famicom by two years). Most of the on-screen text is Japanese, though, so I will need a FAQ or translation or something. There's one for the PCE version and a language patch for WotD 2 but I can't seem to find the proper ROM/DSK-files. However, the PCE FAQ does not cover the MSX2 version in full, the latter is quite different to it in some spots. Ah well.

this is my favorite post.... i want to try Sweet Home now I never knew about it. it looks like so much fun....

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
It offers mediocre graphics, but less is more here, just as it was with NieR, another Japanese 360 classic that was doomed because of PS2-grade presentation. Vampire Rain is not as classy as NieR, but definitely worth a try if you can appreciate traditional harshness and minimalism in a game.
both are on PS3 too

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Here's my line-up for Halloween:

Forbidden Forrest - C64
Beyond Forbidden Forest - C64
Ghosts & Goblins Arcade - C64
Ghouls & Ghosts - Supergrafx
Nightmare on Elm Street - C64
The Brookhaven Experiment - PSVR

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
barbie-game-girl-usa-europe.png

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I think I might play illbleed on the Dreamcast aswell and maybe Vampire Chronicle if friends come over.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,

Isn't it strange the way the competition between the platforms (SNES and Genny) gave birth to differences in play mechanics? The whole freeform 'whip swinging' of SCIV and the very notion of having two protagonists (and one with a spear, no less) in Bloodlines.