Halo 3 on Legendary

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Anyone here completed Halo 3 on Legendary?

I'm doing a run through at the moment, and right now I'm in the middle of Mission 6 (The Ark). I've never played the other two Halos on Legendary, so I was expecting it to be much harder than it's turning out - there are no endlessly respawning enemies like in Doom, and enough headshots from the battle rifle will put down just about anything. Still it's pretty damn hard.

There was one point where I was ripping my hair out by the roots. In the second part of Mission 3 (Tsavo Highway), there's an area where you have to hole up in a bunker while two or three waves of Brutes attack. Each wave has two Brutes with railguns, two with jetpacks, and four more with regular weapons. After awhile a Wraith shows up and starts bombarding the bunker you're in. You get a sniper rifle and a whole lot of battle rifle ammo, but otherwise you're SOL. Surviving that was by far and away the hardest part of the game so far. That particular part was also a pain in the ass on the easier levels, so I'm not looking forward to the other parts of the game I've had difficulty with.

Up 'til now I thought the 1P campaign was pretty meh, but now I have a whole new respect for it.

tsukaesugi

I'm going to preempt kernow before he can strike.

〜lol Halo 3 / Xbox360 / Microsoft

:make_fac:

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
I cant even force myself to finish it once on normal.
halo3 really is an incredibly mediocre game.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
I think Halo 3 is alot easier on legendary then Halo 1 and 2. I was able to beat it by myself without too much frustration. The other two had me wanting to punch holes in the wall on legendary.
The hardest part for me was probably the first level in the jungle. That part at the dam-bridge thing was a real pain in the ass. I ran out of ammo for the battle rifle and only could find plasma pistols and needle guns. Which makes it rather hard to kill the sniper guys and brutes.
It sucks that they don't give you a separate achievement for beating legendary by yourself. I am willing to bet most people have it due to the 4 player co-op. But whatever, it's still fun to play through.

tsukaesugi

Mr.Nemoperson said:
I think Halo 3 is alot easier on legendary then Halo 1 and 2.

Yeah, I've heard that 1 and 2 were brutal on Legendary, so that's why I was expecting 3 to be more difficult.

Mr.Nemoperson said:
That part at the dam-bridge thing was a real pain in the ass. I ran out of ammo for the battle rifle and only could find plasma pistols and needle guns. Which makes it rather hard to kill the sniper guys and brutes.

I remember that part - if you still have the sniper rifle with enough ammo at the beginning it's bearable, but if you run out, yeah, it's a pain in the ass alright.

tsukaesugi

Rassilon said:
I cant even force myself to finish it once on normal.
halo3 really is an incredibly mediocre game.

Dude, lame. Trolling Halo threads is so last year.

:shame:

Anyway, I've played with you online and you're lousy at it. That's the problem right there. See if you can finish the first mission of the 1 Player Campaign on Easy. Once you accomplish that, you might be able to appreciate the game more.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
It's not too bad in co-op.

Still quite the challenge, but not hair-pulling hard or anything.

I never did get around to finishing up every level myself to unlock the Achievement as I only really care for them in certain games and Halo 3 wasn't one of those games.

Was never the biggest Halo fan, but certainly had some fun times in co-op.

Those little Grunts are a constant source of hilarity.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I've done both Halo 1 and 3 on Legendary solo (even did the whole metagame in Halo 3 on Legendary solo too). Overall, they felt about the same to me, in terms of difficulty. I found the games equally challenging and fun at that difficulty, but never too frustrating. It helps if you learn how to exploit the AI early on. I haven't spent as much time with Halo 2, so I can't really comment on it.

tsukaesugi said:
There was one point where I was ripping my hair out by the roots. In the second part of Mission 3 (Tsavo Highway), there's an area where you have to hole up in a bunker while two or three waves of Brutes attack. Each wave has two Brutes with railguns, two with jetpacks, and four more with regular weapons. After awhile a Wraith shows up and starts bombarding the bunker you're in. You get a sniper rifle and a whole lot of battle rifle ammo, but otherwise you're SOL. Surviving that was by far and away the hardest part of the game so far. That particular part was also a pain in the ass on the easier levels, so I'm not looking forward to the other parts of the game I've had difficulty with.

You can "skip" certain battles if you move forward enough on the level. Sometimes when the game loads a new area, it assumes you've beaten the previous ones and removes the enemies from the previous areas. This works in that area of Tsavo Highway. You just need to move past the Wraith and the hill behind it, where the Choppers are.

Mr.Nemoperson said:
The hardest part for me was probably the first level in the jungle. That part at the dam-bridge thing was a real pain in the ass. I ran out of ammo for the battle rifle and only could find plasma pistols and needle guns. Which makes it rather hard to kill the sniper guys and brutes.

The Jackals in the area just before that one should drop plenty of Beam Rifles and/or Carbines. After I take care of the snipers and the enemies just below the cliff, I like to get into the 3rd floor of the 2nd building (right side of the dam) and attack the rest from there.

...and remember : grenades are your friends (unless they're being thrown at you, of course).

Last edited:

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
tsukaesugi said:
Dude, lame. Trolling Halo threads is so last year.

Anyway, I've played with you online and you're lousy at it. That's the problem right there. See if you can finish the first mission of the 1 Player Campaign on Easy. Once you accomplish that, you might be able to appreciate the game more.

:lolz:
I suck at it 'cause the game is so awful i cant force myself to play it enough to improve.

I got to just after the flood arrive in the campaign (on normal).. And just putting up with it that far was an act of supreme discipline :p

seriously, the game is awful. I even liked halo 1, but its been a very steep downhill from there.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Charge in with whatever weapon you can find, they're generally all the same.

Melee a few baddies.

Run back, suck on your thumb, wait for your magic halohealth to replenish.

If you get killed, it doesn't matter, because there was a checkpoint 3 nm ago.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
Charge in with whatever weapon you can find, they're generally all the same.

Melee a few baddies.

Run back, suck on your thumb, wait for your magic halohealth to replenish.

If you get killed, it doesn't matter, because there was a checkpoint 3 nm ago.

Halo 3 is a great game man.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I actually thought Halo 3 was fairly mediocre myself, until I played on co-op mode at the Legendary setting. Then, man, was it ever crow-eating time. I thought it was fantastic, a hell of a lot of fun. Just wished I got on board earlier, 'cause it's hard to get people to play with me these days.

That said, my XBL tag is HeartlessNinny if anyone wants a game sometime. I'm always down for a round or two, and some of the levels (the Covenant comes to mind) are pretty amazing on co-op.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
DangerousK said:

Halo 3 is a great game man.
I didn't say anything about the quality of the game. I just gave the tried-and-true strategy for beating any FPS released since 2002.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
I didn't say anything about the quality of the game. I just gave the tried-and-true strategy for beating any FPS released since 2002.

Trying to play through the Halo games on Legendary that way wouldn't really work, since large groups of enemies would end up killing you before you could run for cover.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Hentai Sama said:
Trying to play through the Halo games on Legendary that way wouldn't really work, since large groups of enemies would end up killing you before you could run for cover.
It worked for me. Just strafe as you run. Throw grenades to confuse the idiot AI.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:

The sarcasm seems to have been lost on you. :(

tsukaesugi

Hentai Sama said:
You can "skip" certain battles if you move forward enough on the level. Sometimes when the game loads a new area, it assumes you've beaten the previous ones and removes the enemies from the previous areas. This works in that area of Tsavo Highway. You just need to move past the Wraith and the hill behind it, where the Choppers are.

Yeah, I ended up discovering that for myself, out of frustration. After about five millionth time getting blasted by one of the Brutes with the fuel rods, or hammered by the Wraith I said to hell with it and ran out of the bunker back down to the areas I'd already cleared. I quickly noticed that they hadn't noticed me, so I ran behind the Wraith and kept running right to the next area.

On a related note, I've had problems with a few checkpoints not registering the first time I move to a new area. It looks like there's an actual physical space that you have to cross for it to register, and if you miss it (and die) you have to start off at the previous area. It's only happened a couple of times, but it's been frustrating.

Hentai Sama said:
...and remember : grenades are your friends (unless they're being thrown at you, of course).

You're preaching to the choir - the Covenant sticky grenades are one of my weapons of choice. The brute shot is also really effective as a melee weapon, especially on the armoured brutes if you can catch them alone or with their backs turned. Ideally I'm always carrying a battle rifle for headshots, the brute shot for melee, and a couple of sticky grenades.

tsukaesugi

Average Joe said:
Those little Grunts are a constant source of hilarity.

Especially if you have the Birthday Party Skull turned on.

BANG!

*confetti*

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
tsavo highway on legendary had a LOT of annoying parts;
i did i all single player, mind you.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Uh, bump.

The last Flood level was the worst on Legendary.

I hate the flood, so much.

I need to beat the game co-op on Legendary and get all the Skulls. I've only actually found two, and my understanding is that some of them are near impossible to find unless you know exactly where to go/what to do.

All the battles versus the Scarab tanks on legendary were great.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Lagduf said:
Uh, bump.

The last Flood level was the worst on Legendary.

I hate the flood, so much.

I need to beat the game co-op on Legendary and get all the Skulls. I've only actually found two, and my understanding is that some of them are near impossible to find unless you know exactly where to go/what to do.

All the battles versus the Scarab tanks on legendary were great.

Yeah man, the flood are a bit better in this game, but a bit better than pure shit is still shit. The only time the flood were fun to me was when you were suprised with their arrival, back in Halo 1. It was kinda cool at first to try and escape, they did a good job of building tension in that level. Too bad they pissed it away in the Library, but that discussion needs nothing added to it...

But yeah, even though the flood suck and always will, they did kind of make up for it with the scarabs. That battle is pretty epic on Legendary. The first one you fight, the guy I was playing with drove a mongoose up onto the lift, then drove that fucker right onto the top of the scarab and blew the shit up like the Godfather. I was like, "....awesome."

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
HeartlessNinny said:
Yeah man, the flood are a bit better in this game, but a bit better than pure shit is still shit. The only time the flood were fun to me was when you were suprised with their arrival, back in Halo 1. It was kinda cool at first to try and escape, they did a good job of building tension in that level. Too bad they pissed it away in the Library, but that discussion needs nothing added to it...

But yeah, even though the flood suck and always will, they did kind of make up for it with the scarabs. That battle is pretty epic on Legendary. The first one you fight, the guy I was playing with drove a mongoose up onto the lift, then drove that fucker right onto the top of the scarab and blew the shit up like the Godfather. I was like, "....awesome."

Yeah, I loved that battle and the one on the Ark were you have warthogs too.

Good stuff.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
The worst level is CORTANA.

That was hell on Legendary. The rest wasnt so bad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
MilkManX said:
The worst level is CORTANA.

That was hell on Legendary. The rest wasnt so bad.

Is that the level where you rescue Cortana? The one with all the flood? Because if so I agree.

And that level was only hard because those damned flood who could turn in to anything would keep turning in to those damned living turrets. I never did find a good way to beat those, except a good plasma throw and lots of bullets. Those turrets were so overpowered.

I actually beat the game on Normal, then Heroic, and then Legendary.

Legendary was a good challenge, but Heroic was probably the most fun.